Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What do they want? They don't know. The poor people of UK and here, and other places will suffer because of this hubris. Disgraceful.

The trouble is some people want things, but they want something else more, and the something else they want more is less achievable than their second choice and as long as people are not willing to compromise, this is what happens.

I was a supporter of The Independent Group but they've gone down in my estimation tonight, they are playing Russian roulette with their country. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

It's beyond a joke at this stage. The British political system is completely broken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    GE is the only way to go, and the only real way for an extension. May is gone.

And the tories will probably get back in with a Brexiteer leader...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nick Boles, I think.

It was only a matter of time. He was being deselected by his local party.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

GE is the only way to go, and the only real way for an extension. May is gone.

so they will ask for extension, call a GE and brexit will be back in 6 months?

• Advertisement

Pa8301 wrote: »
    It's beyond a joke at this stage. The British political system is completely broken.

Very much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The DUP aren't even worth talking about at this point.

Fair play to Nick Boles.

I missed his statement, does anyone know what he said as his reasons for resigning, I just caught him walking away from his seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then another vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭RickBlaine

How about May's WA with a confirmation referendum as an amendment? I wonder would that pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EU won't grant extension with out reason like a 2nd vote or GE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Never thought I'd say this, but Kenneth Clarke talks far more sense than anyone else in that parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

RickBlaine wrote: »
    How about May's WA with a confirmation referendum as an amendment? I wonder would that pass?

Labour already indicated they would support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

MikeSoys wrote: »

Which means they have to hold European Parliament elections as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I missed his statement, does anyone know what he said as his reasons for resigning, I just caught him walking away from his seat.

May wouldn't compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Just came in and sat down to watch the livestream. Bloody hell, what a short*tshow.....

Where's all the government MPs?

MikeSoys wrote: »

Possibly. I think this will drag on, as no one can agree, and nobody wants to be blamed for either no deal, or blocking Brexit either.

The middle ground has failed to reach a consensus, and every body is divided :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Tory's + DUP now only have 323 seats

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two more resign tomorrow judging by the round of applause Boles got

There has to be a general election now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't get why people like her as a political journalist.

Has she ever broken a story!? Seems to me she just engages in repeating gossip and taking info from print journalists.

I may have missed something but that's the impression I have.

It was pointed out yesterday that she is an outsider. She went to a private girls school and to Edinburgh University and that is considered an outsider, tells you much about UK society right now.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Inching closer to No Deal. In two weeks time aside from the Tories Labour, Lib Dems and SNP will also be crucified for the opportunities they had to prevent it

Can I ask, why the SNP?

As for the votes, I am getting tired of this now. With the cabinet voting there seems little chance of anything passing if the government doesn't support it and you think that May would whip against anything but her deal.

At least for me it means May cannot yet put her deal against an alternative and she has to put her deal on its own merits where it should fail once again. Some points that has been pointed out regarding the customs union and not having a say is true of her deal as well so if anything it should lose support in a new vote.

If I were a Brexiter I would vote against her deal and hope that parliament and government is so paralysed that no-deal would be the default. This coincides with the option of revoking as well so for me who wants the UK to remain as it is the best option but it also carries the biggest risk. I am putting my faith in the adults in the room of avoiding that, but that is not guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where's all the government MPs?

Abstainance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Did they have the discussion about the Revoke article 50 petition today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭RickBlaine

Labour already indicated they would support that.

But if the 2nd ref amendment passed, I wonder then would the main vote pass. Interesting how the Tory leadership would whip for or against WA with 2nd ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

devnull wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Lib Dems and Tigs and a number of Labour politicians have tonight voted to chase a dream of a referendum and revocation which they will never pass which risks the catastrophe of No Deal.

By not compromising they have recklessly put the country in severe danger of No Deal. They should have voted for the customs union and this would have been over tonight, but just like the Tories who they claim to hate, they have failed to compromise.

I said it about two months ago, the people we expected to be the pragmatic adults in the room, the remainers, are in reality the biggest obsticle to a workable deal because the last thing they want is a workable sustanable Brexit. Better for them to hold out for a referendum, even at the risk of no-deal than support Brexit in any form.

They would prefer a no-deal Brexit to a workable Brexit as a no-deal could potentially be so bad that they will eventually get enought support to be able to overturn it and get back into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The DUP aren't even worth talking about at this point.

Fair play to Nick Boles.
    What did Nigel Dodd’s actually say as I muted him. Was there by any chance anything remotely positive in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He seemed completely broken. Just said that he accepted that he'd failed at trying to get people onside for his idea and said he couldn't continue to represent a party that wouldn't compromise. Then walked out.

Phew! I can't keep up.

Just going to wait it out until I can try to understand what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never thought I'd say this, but Kenneth Clarke talks far more sense than anyone else in that parliament.
    Why would you never say that? Hes been one of the only decent people there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What did Nigel Dodd’s actually say as I muted him. Was there by any chance anything remotely positive in it ?

Said Merkel was coming to Dublin for a chat and there was still time to get rid of the backstop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

And the tories will probably get back in with a Brexiteer leader...

Not certain at all in the latest polling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

To expand, he stated that he has tried his best to find a compromise but his own party has made this impossible and he can thus not be part of them any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

looksee wrote: »
    Did they have the discussion about the Revoke article 50 petition today?

Yes, in a small side room, not the main chamber.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement