Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thargor wrote: »
    Why would you never say that? Hes been one of the only decent people there for years.

He's just always come across as a dinosaur with pretty outdated views on most things, but they need to listen to what the man is saying. He's got more experience in parliament than the rest of them put together. I've developed great respect for him recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Said Merkel was coming to Dublin for a chat and there was still time to get rid of the backstop.

He also said the the amendment that had enough votes were the Boles amendment and thus it is a way forward. The fact that it is complete fantasy should not escape anyone with any sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

British Mps reach consensus on Brexit.. Now that would be some April Fools.

EU won't grant extension with out reason like a 2nd vote or GE.

Brussels losing patience it would seem......

https://twitter.com/mattfrei/status/1112826645671563265?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I missed his statement, does anyone know what he said as his reasons for resigning, I just caught him walking away from his seat.

He seemed completely broken. Just said that he accepted that he'd failed at trying to get people onside for his idea and said he couldn't continue to represent a party that wouldn't compromise. Then walked out.
    Yeah that was hard to watch. His voice seemed to be cracking. He seemed as you say utterly sick **** of the whole mess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Said Merkel was coming to Dublin for a chat and there was still time to get rid of the backstop.

That's absurd. A fundamental change to the WA needs unanimous approval from the EU27's national and some regional Parliaments and that's even if they agreed to amend the WA which they won't.

How have they not moved past this? Moreover, why can't they see the damage they have done and are still doing to the union?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I missed his statement, does anyone know what he said as his reasons for resigning, I just caught him walking away from his seat.

Here's it is

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1112827673976426496

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So after rejecting revoking article 50 if there's no extension or any deal in place the HOC have put no deal back on the table surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What did Nigel Dodd’s actually say as I muted him. Was there by any chance anything remotely positive in it ?

Right so no then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Well if SF took their Westminster seats, they could have swung the ‘customs union’ option and avoided a hard border. Some use to Ireland they are.

No, just no. They will not take their seats as they are elected on not taking their seats. This will not happen and we have debated this to death and much emotion on previous threads. Yes they could have but it will not happen so its no use debating it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's times like this, that I can recognise great people, regardless of political allegiance.

Clarke, Grieves, have been great on the Conservative party.

Labour seem lost, which is a shame.

Mogs and his ilk are just evil self serving toads, no time for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Post about SF abstentionism deleted. It's off topic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Only one Lib Dem voted for the custom union, out of ten. It lost by 3 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    He seemed completely broken. Just said that he accepted that he'd failed at trying to get people onside for his idea and said he couldn't continue to represent a party that wouldn't compromise. Then walked out.

I just caught a second or two of him leaving, and I thought he was choking with emotion.

Such awful times. But fair play to him for standing by his principles. I hope he will be ok, it is very unusual for an MP to quit live in the Commons!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And now on to important matters...a f*cking landfill site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

TIG also abstained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah, Clarke mentioned the dilution of votes due to people just voting for their first choice even though they on principle likely had nothing against his motion. Seems that the customs union is the most likely one to get support but Christ knows what happens from here!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Some numbers on the Customs Union
    - 37 Tories voted for customs union
    - 10 Labour voted against customs union with the DUP
    - 1 Lib Dem voted for customs union.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

And now on to important matters...a f*cking landfill site.

I'm laughing here, the MPs are running for the doors.:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

TIG also abstained.

Long game is probably a 2nd referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

i hope Merkel does not try and force ireland to pay for a british / eu mess

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's times like this, that I can recognise great people, regardless of political allegiance.

Clarke, Grieves, have been great on the Conservative party.

Labour seem lost, which is a shame.

Mogs and his ilk are just evil self serving toads, no time for them.

Ken Clarke is the biz. Years of experience, But no one is listening to him. Grieve got a mawling by the Conservative members in his constituency a couple of days ago. Twitter clips I saw were not very nice at all.

I have to say, despite our many failings in the Dail and all that, I am very glad to be living in Ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MikeSoys wrote: »

Firstly it's a British mess solely and completely and secondly how would we be forced to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So after rejecting revoking article 50 if there's no extension or any deal in place the HOC have put no deal back on the table surely?

Not only is "No Deal" the default position, it is also the only alternative a majority of MPs has voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Ken Clarke is the biz. Years of experience, But no one is listening to him. Grieve got a mawling by the Conservative members in his constituency a couple of days ago. Twitter clips I saw were not very nice at all.

I have to say, despite our many failings in the Dail and all that, I am very glad to be living in Ireland right now.
    Still a Tory however. How can he stand with these people he fundamentally disagrees with?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The political atmosphere is so toxic right now.

https://twitter.com/shivmalik/status/1112828916744507392

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Brussels losing patience it would seem......

https://twitter.com/mattfrei/status/1112826645671563265?s=21

Isn't it incredible how long the EU have put up with the messing/clusterfcuk in the U.K..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

MikeSoys wrote: »

Doubt it. If anything any cost's were forced to pay should be basically billed to the UK in any trade deal they want.

Honestly at this point unless there's a vote for a A50 cancellation they're headed strait for a crashout and honestly we may have little option but to cut em loose and suffer the consequences of their folly. Maybe some sense will eventually come back to the UK but I'd say once they leave they'll never return as the same entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Yet he stands by the Conservative Party. He should be joining Boles, and others with them. They're enabling the nonsense to go on as much as anyone, no matter how reasonable their arguments.

A few more Tories resign the whip and a no confidence motion is near certain to pass. The EU would consider the long extension for a GE I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Over 400 MPs voted against a No Deal Brexit, let's keep to the facts. a majority of the Tories favour a No Deal Brexit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement