Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

The EU is going to tell them to stick it. This moronic gang are doing absolutely nothing but playing a game of chicken.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What is there for Corbyn to discuss if the solution includes her WA?

It's like saying we will discuss what to have to drink as long as it is a cup of tea. Her WA covers the bases, what is she going to discuss with Corbyn?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

L1011 wrote: »
    Zero reason for the EU to accept this reason for extension

pushing blame on eu.. handy enough so...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The EU is Hotel California. You can check out but never leave. I hope there are massive protests planned. Out means out.

What rubbish. The UK can leave and will be leaving.

UK problem is they don't really want to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

So why should the EU accept anything after that speech??? Isnt it what they have been doing for the last number of weeks???

Kicking the can again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The EU is Hotel California. You can check out but never leave. I hope there are massive protests planned. Out means out.

Your contribution is very interesting.

Please elaborate just how the EU is stopping the UK from leaving!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Fair play Faisal Islam, pity there aren't more like him prepared to tackle those who speak in slogans:

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1113088909603495938

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

SKY SHOUT not getting much feedback.

implies here that we are moving away from a no-deal... we were here a week ago right?
    labour what to be in government why would Corbin help her..

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭strawdog

SKY SHOUT not getting much feedback.

Weird that she'd bother when obviously not going to get an answer and talking live to camera

• Advertisement

strawdog wrote: »
    Weird that she'd bother when obviously not going to get an answer and talking live to camera

she seems to know her stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Extrapolated this is May effectively calling for the DUP and ERG to be thrown under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I just watched TM's statement. It might have been of some use if she had made it about 2 years ago. It's very little, very late now. At least she acknowledged that her deal on its own isn't going to work. Corbyn will insist that his demands are bolted on in some way. It's very hard to see how that can happen.

(I'm looking forward to a new comedy series on TV called NO Prime Minister).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I bet the Gov can't wait for Meghan Markle to have that baby. Whew, all eyes on them for a change and a great day to bury bad news.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Surprise, surprise. Yet another pointless statement from her, yet again saying that others need to compromise with her and that she'll go back to Brussels and ask for something that she knows they can't give.

No way they'll agree to an extension to May on the very slim chance of deal being sorted by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I bet the Gov can't wait for Meghan Markle to have that baby. Whew, all eyes on them for a change and a great day to bury bad news.

On the royal distraction front, there's already hints of an Andy Fergie remarriage - but that could be a circus for if the bread runs out

Actually think the UK is mostly self sufficient for wheat though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

National Government then ?

To Corbyn : Accept WA and then you can have everything in your Brexit Manifesto bar FOM in the Pol Dec.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

GB and NI and all the other islands within the UK?

This country? These nations? This Union? The way she used that specific phrase right at the end of the speech leads me to think they're going to try something on against Ireland here...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Corbyn can ask for CU + Part SM. Problem is how to insist it is adhered to?
    Corbyn will add an immediate GE following as an add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Nothing about taking part in the EU elections - The EU are expected to just believe they're going to get their act together by May 22nd and accept it!

Corbyn won't agree anything with her....the Tory's know this, they're setting Labour up to be the bad guys in advance of a general Election!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Your contribution is very interesting.

Please elaborate just how the EU is stopping the UK from leaving!?
    Well to continue his analogy, he seems to think that the UK can check out whenever they want without paying the bill or the remaining amount that they booked for and the 'hotel' are being unreasonable by insisting that they do and also keep to the agreement they made with another guest.

Oh, and the UK are currently standing in the foyer talking loudly about doing a runner and the hotel manager is just remindiing them that he has their address.

Key thing here is that if the supersoft Brexiteers/2nd refers can get their act together (unlike last night) its now or never for them to attempt to get a HoC majority since the government has now said it will go with whatever decision is approved by the Commons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

trellheim wrote: »
    National Government then ?

To Corbyn : Accept WA and then you can have everything in your Brexit Manifesto bar FOM in the Pol Dec.

Corbyn? Make an actual decision?

they'll have crashed out before that'll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

robinph wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise. Yet another pointless statement from her, yet again saying that others need to compromise with her and that she'll go back to Brussels and ask for something that she knows they can't give.

No way they'll agree to an extension to May on the very slim chance of deal being sorted by then.

It wasn’t a pointless statement.

She pretty much said that the hard Brexiteers within her own party and the DUP will have no influence within the next discussions and will work directly with the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I wonder will Corbyn insist on putting her WA to a 2nd ref as the price for Labour's support?

No Corbyn will put a GE as a price rather than 2nd Ref, which he doesn't want anyway.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Nothing about taking part in the EU elections - The EU are expected to just believe they're going to get their act together by May 22nd and accept it!

Corbyn won't agree anything with her....the Tory's know this, they're setting Labour up to be the bad guys in advance of a general Election!
    i agree i think May is including Corbyn options- labour will desire GE.. Mays party holding onto office if it all goes bad.. it will also be his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I can't see Corbyn agreeing to the WA for a GE. If Labour gets in power they'd be stuck with a WA that they don't like.

This though is eating serious, humble pie for TM and Corbyn and all other opposition parties will make her eat it.
    No Deal off the table. that's the sum of what she has declared. It is a major decision and a relief for us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The only reason the UK is still in the EU is because your MP's voted for that.

Are you trying to undermine the democratic decisions of the sovereign Parliament ?

Sounds treasonous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement