Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anything emanating from DUP quarters yet?

*No rude answers please.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

*No rude answers please.

I am going to hazard a guess on this one...they are against it and will be voting No!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Anyway, surely she is the PM of the UK, not the Tories. The good of the country should be the raison d'etre.

That's what should be the case for anyone in charge of any country. Unfortunately far too many of those in the Tories are only there for pure self interest and nothing more. Even Cameron who helped create the problem abandoned ship when the result went against him and everyone else suffers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1113166400993067009

This day is far from over. A lot of unhappy Tories throwing their toys out of the pram. Will the cabinet force her hand?

Half of them might resign. The Brexiteer half.
    if they resign what will that achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

*No rude answers please.

Saw the clip of Nigel Dodds in Parliament yesterday, still talking about Theresa May going back to the EU to renegotiate the backstop. Saw some other DUP head on BBC on Sunday morning at the same crack. The mind boggles. How is it possible that they still don't get it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I often wonder why the Brexiters don’t leave Tories and throw in their lot with UKIP. They’d surely win a lot of seats and potentially hold the balance of power and leverage their position better than the current situation where they are almost resented in the tories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I often wonder why the Brexiters don’t leave Tories and throw in their lot with UKIP. They’d surely win a lot of seats and potentially hold the balance of power and leverage their position better than the current situation where they are almost resented in the tories

They would just be taking seats form the Tories and then Corbyn could become PM :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So if talks with Corbyn aren't successful, she'll take the preference of Parliament. The indicative votes of the past week may have had more benefit than originally thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

UKIP became too toxic for Nigel Farage who then formed the Brexit party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I really hope the EU reject this firmly. The EU should not allow a bomb to be set up on the eve of the EU elections, nor should we allow the UK to create chaos by having they option to revoke A50 without beng prepared to take part in the EU elections.

The EU set out a pragmatic process and should stick to it, if the UK fails to agree the deal by the 12th, then the only options available are no-deal, revoke and take part in the EU elections, or long extension and take part in the EU elections, nothing else should be considered.

• Advertisement

so i watched TMs speach earlier before heading out (felt mostly positive responses from commentators on tv at that time) im back now and watching sky news.. the mood is not so positive now from what im watching

i heard earlier that in the case of a no deal stuff on amazon.co.uk will be more expensive for us here in ireland.. so best to get the stuff now i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

There is something of a tradition in UK (and often wider world) politics that if there is going to be a fractionated divided bloc of voters, it's going to be on the Left, not the right. I think this might be the biggest stumbling block facing anyone looking to fight Brexit at the ballot box; the Remain vote is divided between Lib-Dem, Green, Labour and the various nationalist parties, and there is no telling how much support Labour would retain if they ditched the 'follow the will of the people' schtick and just went full Remain - I think it could be more than most people think, perhaps I'm being optimistic.

Now this election MIGHT be different, in the sense that now we have a Tory party (whose membership seems more convincingly in favour of No-Deal), a UKIP party and a Brexit party, which leaves the Right more divided than it would be typically, but still not to the same extent as the more broad Left/Remain parties. A Tory who can stand on the platform of No-Deal is probably fine and likely to soak up the entirety of the Leave vote; a Labour party member who says the same thing about Remaining will still have to battle Lib-Dem and Green voters. Maybe Tory Remainers will divide enough of their own votes to allow a more Remain candidate in, maybe they will simply be overthrown by a No-Deal candidate. One things for sure, this electoral system makes predictions nigh on impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What May asks the EU for is not what she will get, we all know that. Once she asks for an ext. the door is open for them to dictate the terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think this is brinkmanship (hopefully!)

The Commons are totally opposed to a No Deal Brexit.

So we are left with what they DO think is acceptable. I am beyond guessing at this stage.

They do not seem to know themselves either.

Isn't it awful that our country and others at the mercy of these people who know what they do not want, but don't know what they actually want.

(I know, I have said this many times).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So why is he portrayed as the next Tory PM (assuming that all works out re elections and so on)?.

Donald trump has the bar set when it comes to electing the leaders of a country. The British will want to have their version in Boris.

if uk said were not happy with the WA and so going for a no deql..would the EU blink and be willing to compromises something to avoide it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

MikeSoys wrote: »
    if uk said were not happy with the WA and so going for a no deql..would the EU blink and be willing to compromises something to avoide it

I think that was the promise of Brexiteers like David Davis for the longest time - here we are at the 11th hour and nothing. So either the EU is hiding its apprehension behind the greatest poker face in history, or David Davis et al have been telling fibs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

I honestly doubt it. I don t think they are bluffing. They'd like the UK to stay, or failing that to agree a deal, but I don't think they want it at any cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

trashcan wrote: »
    I honestly doubt it. I don t think they are bluffing. They'd like the UK to stay, or failing that to agree a deal, but I don't think they want it at any cost.

Maybe before Christmas or six months before it the EU might have been more receptive to the UK but given what a mess the whole thing has turned into I think they won't now. The EU just seem to want the UK to decide on something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

No. The answer to that question is no. The EU does not play that kind of game.

is there somewhere i can see a full list of the impact of a no deal for ireland?
    i hear allot of different things like the impact to farmers, possible fuel shortages(as allot of our refined fuel comes from uk), certain imports will be more expensive etc... but if anyone knows if there is a full list somwhere id appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Eurosceptism is emboldened and is here for the long haul.

Yes, the Eurosceptics in the Tory party would really like May to outmaneuver them somehow in some sneaky underhand way so that the UK remains and they can go back to full-time moaning about the EU.

That's what they have done their whole lives, and they would like to get back to it. They never had any idea that Cameron would give them the referendum they pretended to want all those years and then fúck it up and lose.

But now Boris smells the chance that May will compromise and deliver something less than the full fat Brexit she was talking about, and with a huge sigh of relief, Boris can go back to bitching in his newspaper column, safe from anyone asking him to lead the Charge of the Light Brexit into the EUs cannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Looking at Newsnight, where guess who is on- "Michael Gove, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs".

We are facing climate change disaster, beyond the point of no return in 12 years, and when was the last time this clown actually focused on his ministerial job, talked about anything other than ****ing Brexit, which he and his slimy fellow conmen Tories directly caused.

I am so, so sick of hearing about Brexit, with all of the other incredibly urgent problems that the world faces. This disgrace of a Tory government is indulging their egos about this for the last 3 years, rather than focus on the good of the country.

History will judge Gove and his kind incredibly harshly. Hopefully he ends up with a heavy prison sentence too one day, for his role in the illegal behaviour of the Vote Leave campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Leavers have really screwed over Scotland too, no matter what way you look at it.

If they stay as part of the UK, they are at the mercy of the Tories who could not care less about them. If they vote for independence now, the border with England becomes much more complicated in the case of a hard Brexit, than if England was also in the EU.

Despite that, if I was Scottish, I would vote for independence now, 100%.

gold spot price has jumped this evening...so thats not a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

i heard earlier that in the case of a no deal stuff on amazon.co.uk will be more expensive for us here in ireland.. so best to get the stuff now i guess

Shift to Amazon.de if needs be. Dunno what will happen in a no deal maybe they'll finally make an Amazon.ie for us....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Brexiteers like to say '' there was talk of doom and gloom when we voted to leave, and it never happened, in fact economy has grown in past 3 years, best to leave on a no deal''

But when they voted to leave they never actually left, they remained in the EU for the past 3 years, and the growth has come on the back on exports to EU. They really are deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Brexiteers like to say '' there was talk of doom and gloom when we voted to leave, and it never happened, in fact economy has grown in past 3 years, best to leave on a no deal''

But when they voted to leave they never actually left, they remained in the EU for the past 3 years, and the growth has come on the back on exports to EU. They really are deluded.

And they are the 5th largest economy in the world as members of the EU.

Which they weren’t when they joined in 1973.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Flicked onto TV3 in the vain hope it might be worth watching for a change. Willie O'Dea and Michael Healy Rae. Don't know why I bother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement