Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

If May agrees to a referendum which included remain as an option then that will be catastrophic for her, for Brexit and for the Tory party. A general election makes much more sense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, the last scandal of substandard meat within the EU was in Ireland and Spain was it not? 2013/14, if I remember correctly.

There are honest, high standard farmers and meat producers in every country, UK included, and I do not think we should lose the run of ourselves and think all UK meat will be bad.
    I agree there are.
    I wonder how long those farmers in the UK will survive in business maintaining these high standards, without an EU market to sell them in to, when they have to compete with any old rubbish coming across a WTO or unmonitored border.

Re substandard meat, are you talking about the horsemeat scandal? Where Irish scientists detected DNA of other animals in packaged meat? Thus not conforming to EU standards.
    Or is there something else...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, the last scandal of substandard meat within the EU was in Ireland and Spain was it not? 2013/14, if I remember correctly.

There are honest, high standard farmers and meat producers in every country, UK included, and I do not think we should lose the run of ourselves and think all UK meat will be bad.

Well, no. The last scandal was in Poland in Jan 2019, where sick cows were dragged into an abattoir because they were too sick to walk. 11 EU countries were affected.

Story here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

Brexiteers getting more aggressive.

One is rather used to the usual insults and threats from Bexiteers towards anti-Brexit activists. In this article from yesterday, there is a new development which makes their actions even more dangerous. The perpetrators aimed at derailing a train in England by putting devices on the rails.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-47790939
    'Pro-Brexit' sabotage devices left on train tracks

Two "malicious" devices were left on railway tracks in a pro-Brexit sabotage attempt, police have said.

The items were left on lines near Netherfield, Nottinghamshire, and Yaxley, Cambridgeshire, in March.

One had a note saying "leave means leave", with another saying it would "bring Britain to a standstill".

Assistant Chief Constable Sean O'Callaghan, from British Transport Police (BTP), said the devices were "intended only to delay services".

"This was a serious and deliberate attempt by someone to cause significant sabotage and disruption to Britain's rail network," he said.

"We're currently keeping an open mind on why someone would put their life at risk to place these items on a live railway, however our early assessment has led us to believe it relates to Britain's exit from the European Union."

BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said one of the devices was spotted by a train driver, with the other believed to have been found during a routine track search.

BTP said neither device succeeded in causing a delay to services, and that it was investigating along with the rail industry.

No arrests have been made in connection with the incidents.

The second note would rather point to a message being rather 'anti-Brexit' but one isn't used to such or any aggressive actions from the Remain camp.

In some way, this action fits in to what Brexit extremists like to do, like dishing out death threats to everybody who aims to twart Brexit from happening. Like in this recent case:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-47678275
    'Cancel Brexit' petition woman receives death threats

The woman who started the record-breaking anti-Brexit petition says she is "shaking like a leaf" after receiving three death threats by phone.

Margaret Georgiadou, 77, began the Revoke Article 50 petition, which had topped four million signatures by Saturday morning.

She said she was "totally amazed" it had become the most popular petition submitted to the Parliament website.

But Mrs Georgiadou said the "horrible" phone calls left her scared and angry.

The retired lecturer says she has also received abuse via her Facebook account.

She said: "I feel terrible, I feel angry with myself because I thought I was tougher than that. But I was scared."

"I haven't even told my husband because he is very old and he would become hysterical."

Mrs Georgiadou said she created the petition to stop people "moaning" about how awful they thought Brexit was going to be.

To top it all Corbyn is now a 'Training Target' for some military personnel in the BA:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-47801088/army-to-investigate-jeremy-corbyn-target-video

Seems to me that more and more people are out of their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One wonders if she is bluffing when she says she won't hold them and secretly intends that they will indeed be held (but can't admit this to the hard Brexiteers yet).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

Strazdas wrote: »
    One wonders if she is bluffing when she says she won't hold them and secretly intends that they will indeed be held (but can't admit this to the hard Brexiteers yet).

One can't be sure what is valid and what isn't these days as 'prospects' and announcements change rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

L1011 wrote: »
    It was first detected here, due to decent standards. The source was Romania in all cases I believe
    Point of order (ahem), but the Romanian involvement was completely innocent IIRC. They correctly labelled everything as horse meat. The fraud was perpetuated after the meat left Romania.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Guy Verhofstadt spelling out required next steps in no uncertain terms:

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1113435033832951808?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭josip

VonZan wrote: »
    I think this is generally why some in the UK felt as if the EU would fold to their demands over access to the single market. The standards are supposed to be universal throughout the single market but the reality is that there is a lot more standards enforced in some countries than others, particularly Mediterranean and Eastern European EU members.

Do you have any examples of that VonZan? I'm aware that there's a lot more bureaucracy in some southern and eastern countries, but wasn't aware that this bureaucracy was related to additional standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Thomas_IV wrote: »

One is rather used to the usual insults and threats from Bexiteers towards anti-Brexit activists. In this article from yesterday, there is a new development which makes their actions even more dangerous. The perpetrators aimed at derailing a train in England by putting devices on the rails.

'Pro-Brexit' sabotage devices left on train tracks

Two "malicious" devices were left on railway tracks in a pro-Brexit sabotage attempt, police have said.

The items were left on lines near Netherfield, Nottinghamshire, and Yaxley, Cambridgeshire, in March.

One had a note saying "leave means leave", with another saying it would "bring Britain to a standstill".

Assistant Chief Constable Sean O'Callaghan, from British Transport Police (BTP), said the devices were "intended only to delay services".

"This was a serious and deliberate attempt by someone to cause significant sabotage and disruption to Britain's rail network," he said.

"We're currently keeping an open mind on why someone would put their life at risk to place these items on a live railway, however our early assessment has led us to believe it relates to Britain's exit from the European Union."

BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said one of the devices was spotted by a train driver, with the other believed to have been found during a routine track search.

BTP said neither device succeeded in causing a delay to services, and that it was investigating along with the rail industry.

No arrests have been made in connection with the incidents.

The second note would rather point to a message being rather 'anti-Brexit' but one isn't used to such or any aggressive actions from the Remain camp.

In some way, this action fits in to what Brexit extremists like to do, like dishing out death threats to everybody who aims to twart Brexit from happening. Like in this recent case:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-47678275
    'Cancel Brexit' petition woman receives death threats

The woman who started the record-breaking anti-Brexit petition says she is "shaking like a leaf" after receiving three death threats by phone.

Margaret Georgiadou, 77, began the Revoke Article 50 petition, which had topped four million signatures by Saturday morning.

She said she was "totally amazed" it had become the most popular petition submitted to the Parliament website.

But Mrs Georgiadou said the "horrible" phone calls left her scared and angry.

The retired lecturer says she has also received abuse via her Facebook account.

She said: "I feel terrible, I feel angry with myself because I thought I was tougher than that. But I was scared."

"I haven't even told my husband because he is very old and he would become hysterical."

Mrs Georgiadou said she created the petition to stop people "moaning" about how awful they thought Brexit was going to be.

To top it all Corbyn is now a 'Training Target' for some military personnel in the BA:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-47801088/army-to-investigate-jeremy-corbyn-target-video

Seems to me that more and more people are out of their minds.
    This is what happens when anyone who disagrees with your political opinion is branded a traitor. It removes all possibility of discourse and brings in the stuff like the MP assassination plot.

It needed to be stopped at source but JRM etc. were all happy to turn a blind eye yo such rhetoric when it suited them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Thomas_IV wrote: »

They didn't try to derail the train. They put a cable between the rails to trick the signalling system into thinking that there was a train in the block, essentially leaving the "traffic light" stuck on red. The protesters wanted to cause delays.

I believe that the line that this protest was attempted on uses an upgraded signalling system and detected the interference on the line with minimal disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can someone tell me what happened to Nicky Morgan? Has she gone full ******? (my censorship)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hurrache wrote: »
    Look at this bull****.

In laymans terms, 'that thing which we said would be so so easy to do, and yet we couldn't give any guidance whatsoever on how to do it at any point in the last 2.5 years, must be done by the PM starting within 24 hours after the WA is agreed.'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Again with the unicorn of "alternative arrangements' I thought we had got past this fvckwittery

JRM just said on Sky News that the Irish Agricultural Industry is almost entirely dependent on trade with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

[QUOTE=VinL
    ieger;109842773]Again with the unicorn of "alternative arrangements' I thought we had got past this fvckwittery[/QUOTE]

It may be ridiculous. However as far as I know it's the only plan that got overall parliamentary backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

JRM just said on Sky News that the Irish Agricultural Industry is almost entirely dependent on trade with the UK.

He's gotten that the wrong way around, the UK is almost entirely dependent on the Irish Agricultural Industry.

(I know that may not be strictly true, but cmon... we feed 'em to a much greater degree than they know)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Few weeks ago Westminster speaker invoked a 17th century law, which delusional Brexiters blamed on the EU, for which they were rightly ridiculed.

Another poster : "Suggesting the EU have anything to do with a Parliamentary rule from the 17th century is not serious discussion"

An Claidheamh : "But sure that's what the EU want you to think..... ;)"

When I made that comment above - I was being sarcastic i. e. pretending to be a paranoid Brexiter.

I've just finished a two week ban for that.

Anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That's shocking.

If such an amendment was to pass, it would make an absolute mockery of the negotiating process and it would utterly destroy the UK's reputation as a good faith actor in the international stage (whatever reputation is left)

It's sponsored by 56 MPs with 'cross party support' (Tories, Kate Hoey and the DUP)

It has practically zero chance of passing, but it's the kind of nutty half baked proposal that should be thrown out on first glance, not supported by 56 high profile MPs, mostly from the Governing party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

He's gotten that the wrong way around, the UK is almost entirely dependent on the Irish Agricultural Industry.

(I know that may not be strictly true, but cmon... we feed 'em to a much greater degree than they know)
    your correct but they will apply high tarrifs to protect uk fsrmers .. ie if a farmer here is able to get 3.75kg now.. if there is a no deal that will be something like 2.60kg.. which is really bad. but i heard the no tarrifs into n. ireland is a back door into uk for eire farmers (not sure if thats valid..though)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

cml387 wrote: »
    It may be ridiculous. However as far as I know it's the only plan that got overall parliamentary backing.

It was rejected by the EU within minutes of the vote passing.

It's an amendment telling the UK parliament to renege on an interntional agreement within 24 hours of signing it. It's almost the dictionary definition of bad faith dealing

European commission president says 12 April ‘ultimate deadline’ for MPs to pass deal -guardian

The shocking disrespect aimed at Corbyn, considering he's doing them a favour- I don't mean disagreement with his politics or beliefs - but hatred directed at him from the British hard right - shows there are two Britain's batting it out.

Furthermore, this has appeared on the Internet.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/world/europe/uk-soldiers-jeremy-corbyn-shooting-range.amp.html

BBC were slow to report it.

British army spokesperson : "This behavior is totally unacceptable and falls well below the high standards the army expects"

British army standards.....

It's like Russia or some dictatorship where the army backs the far right politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

MikeSoys wrote:
    your correct but they will apply high tarrifs to protect uk fsrmers .. ie if a farmer here is able to get 3.75kg now.. if there is a no deal that will be something like 2.60kg.. which is really bad. but i heard the no tarrifs into n. ireland is a back door into uk for eire farmers (not sure if thats valid..though)

That assumes the exporter (seller) pays the tariff. They won't - the UK consumer will, along with the tariffs on the rest of the 50% of the food the UK can't produce to feed itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The shocking disrespect aimed at Corbyn, considering he's doing them a favour- I don't mean disagreement with his politics or beliefs - but hatred directed at him from the British hard right - shows there are two Britain's batting it out.

Furthermore, this has appeared on the Internet.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/world/europe/uk-soldiers-jeremy-corbyn-shooting-range.amp.html

BBC were slow to report it.

British army spokesperson : "This behavior is totally unacceptable and falls well below the high standards the army expects"

British army standards.....

It's like Russia or some dictatorship where the army backs the far right politicians.

BBC, SKY both have covered this. I think Sky broke it, and BBC had a piece on it this morning.

I wouldn't necessarily hold Corbyn up as a beacon for advancing the cause of the left at this point given his outright resistance to a peoples vote.

First Up wrote: »
    MikeSoys wrote:

That assumes the exporter (seller) pays the tariff. They won't - the UK consumer will, along with the tariffs on the rest of the 50% of the food the UK can't produce to feed itself.
    is that how it works? that would mean the eu would maybe pick up the tab for us ...for this year or so unril ee get over the worst...

Add in German carmakers,
    Then European wine,
    Sure the Spaniards "need" the British in Gibraltar
    Trade deal with the US, right? Any day now.

Furthermore, when Britain runs out of food, Irish farmers will make a killing - they could name their price and make any very short term loss back and then some.

Same thing happened in the 1940s

Otherwise they can eat unicorn meat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:confused: It was on the BBC News website front page first thing this morning as one of the main stories.

• Advertisement

Another ministerial resignation, Chris Heaton Harris who was a Brexit Minister and assistant whip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement