Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Hmmm. I admire Boles in many ways but there's something unsavoury about that.

I do get what you mean but I would have Gibb, his actions and a hard Brexit as more unsavoury than Boles blowing the whistle on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

True. But it paints him as that little bit less honourable.

What Britain needs now is whistleblowers - the right kind of whistleblowers mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Still expecting except honor amongst thieves at this stage?

I'm not sure if I should admire your continued faith in your fellow man or be worried about your naivety ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be honest the current conservative's have no honor to begin with they're infested with idiot's and kipper infiltrators. Were basically 9 day's away from a potential car crash situation brought on purely by arrogant delusional gobshíte's who are seemingly intent on getting their jollies from causing as much needless misery for as many people as possible purely for their own selfish interest. At least he had the decency to first try and make a workable solution and then quit publically and for perfectly reasonable and understandable reasons. Can't blame him either for cutting out the discretion at this stage and so close to a needless national disaster and saying the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I do get what you mean but I would have Gibb, his actions and a hard Brexit as more unsavoury than Boles blowing the whistle on him.

Well, it's Boles's opinion, to which he's entitled. However, as an employee, Gibb won't get the same limelight as Boles and probably won't even be asked for his opinion on Boles's comment. It is quite possibly is true that he is a Brexiteer trying to frustrate the talks. But we'll probably never hear his side of the story - we just have Boles's opinion on one of May's employees who may well have trusted Boles and spoken confidentially with him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MPs are debating a bill that would require the PM to seek an extension to Article 50 But Tories may filibuster it.
    Eleanor Laing - the chair of the proceedings - suggests that "the way things are going" MPs will not get to third reading tonight (that is complete its House of Commons stage) because "the committee stage is likely to take the whole of the time available".

She says that if people limit themselves to short speeches, it will be possible for all stages of the bill to be completed.

However Conservative MP Bill Cash is reluctant to limit his contribution.

"This bill has been rushed through," he says, adding "it is not only an abomination in its own right, it is gravely unconstitutional."

"I am not going to fail to make the points that need to be made," he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well, it's Boles's opinion, to which he's entitled. However, as an employee, Gibb won't get the same limelight as Boles and probably won't even be asked for his opinion on Boles's comment. It is quite possibly is true that he is a Brexiteer trying to frustrate the talks. But we'll probably never hear his side of the story - we just have Boles's opinion on one of May's employees who may well have trusted Boles and spoken confidentially with him.

Sorry but that's a bit naive.

Have you been on here the last three years ?

I expect more people to stop pulling punches tbh. We wouldn't be in the mess if they had. All this nonsense of honour and other rubbish has given us brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

listermint wrote: »
    Sorry but that's a bit naive.

Have you been on here the last three years ?

I expect more people to stop pulling punches tbh. We wouldn't be in the mess if they had. All this nonsense of honour and other rubbish has given us brexit.

Agreed. Honor is not something given by a title it's earned through actions and respect for others. Many of those like Mogg's and most certainly Boris are anything but honorable they are literal snakes and subversives who are there purely and entirely for THEIR own benefit. The other problem is allowing those spewing utter bullshít and lies to go unchallenged and that's only made the situation worse. Everyone is entitle to their opinion but when they start pushing causes without any FACTUAL backup or worse start pushing outright lies and untruths to get their way for no benefit but to themselves they're a liability.

Still expecting except honor amongst thieves at this stage?

I'm not sure if I should admire your continued faith in your fellow man or be worried about your naivety ;)

Naive isn't a word those who know me would use to describe me. One can but hope for decent politicians. When you see the hypocritical liars like Jacob, Boris, Francois & Co, you look for some decency to counteract them. Of course politics is a dirty game, but not all politicians across the House are unprincipled. Such is my regard for Boles, a man who has stood up against the Brexiteers while going through cancer treatment, I expected better from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Pity, I loved his work as one of the Bee Gees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's the best! Way better than House of Cards or any of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Amendment 21 to the Noes.

Eustice amendment.

Cooper's bill shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    MikeSoys wrote: »
    what about the guardian...?

Yeah, but sometimes it's all wooly cardigans and soft slippers. They play it safe and talk to themselves far too much in their opinion pieces. Again the same problem of not holding people to account or being rigorous with the facts.

The FT is a better paper.
    ft is good alright ..pitty website subscription keeps popping up !

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Cooper's bill shot down.
    looking at putting decision on EU.. to accept a long delay...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Everything is a no, they're not going to be able to reach consensus on anything, if it looks like they are coming to a consensus on anything the government will probably collapse. This is true not just for the current negotiations but even if by some miracle they do agree something then the real negotiations will just be worse, they're completely screwed...

MikeSoys wrote: »
    looking at putting decision on EU.. to accept a long delay...

The choices are gone now. The May-Corbyn talks won't work. There will be no binding indicative votes. The WA won't pass. It's crash out or a long extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No the Cooper Bill survives, Eustice amendment defeated.

Water John wrote: »

That's what I thought too.

Cooper's bill shot down.

The Guardian just made a serious mistake. This from their live feed:

I just made an error: the vote hasn’t failed, an amendment by the former minister George Eustice was just defeated by 304 ayes to 313 noes.

The amendment would have prevented the government from being forced to hold a vote if the European Council proposes an extension date different than that requested by parliament.

Profuse apologies. The previous post has been delete

Ignore my bit of news. For now.

• Advertisement

22nd of May extension limit , defeated by 220 to 400

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Rain Ascending

Water John wrote: »

I see that we are all following the Guardian's Politics Live feed. :D

Goodness, such an unwieldy system, could they not vote on all these amendments at once? Ken Clarke has even given up with the in and out.

Goodness, such an unwieldy system, could they not vote on all these amendments at once? Ken Clarke has even given up with the in and out.

The British political system is being exposed as utterly unsuitable for a modern country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

If my maths is correct (allowing 15 minutes for voting on every amendment), the result of the Cooper bill would only be known at about half twelve.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Have Sky News given up on covering Brexit?

They've been excellent the last few weeks but it's ultra weird they are not even covering tonights votes?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Is there anywhere I can find a list of amendments and votes so far tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The British political system is being exposed as utterly unsuitable for a modern country.
    Perfectly suited to a country that's rapidly reversing into the middle of the twentieth century.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

devnull wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can find a list of amendments and votes so far tonight?

Parly on Twitter is excellent:

http://twitter.com/ParlyApp

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Perfectly suited to a country that's rapidly reversing into the middle of the twentieth century.

Guided by procedures from the 19th century.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement