Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Cooper passed by one vote. So says The Guardian...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Headshot wrote: »
    This has made my night, DUP hopefully going to get their just deserts now and hopefully the NI people see how the DUP has ****ed them over and we never see this group in power in NI again

Mine too. I was beginning to wonder just how long it would be before the cracks between the Tories and the DUP would begin to appear. Oh well, what goes around, comes around I suppose.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Oh god the adjournment debate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more insults please. Serious discussion only.

Post deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1113570218721329157

A man of God and a man of the army.

Currently watching Peston, Nadine Dorries is not happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Should get rubber stamped by the Lords tomorrow given their track record on Brexit.

The UK still needs to produce something worth an extension, but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

This just gets more and more crazy. They are now going to make their PM request an extension she doesn't want. I can see that being a passionate speech in front of the EU. Were they not listening when the EU said they had to have a firm plan in place. The debate to pick a date will probably end up like the indicative votes. Part of me is actually looking forward to them being told where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Islam saying

"Nobody from Government has replied in Commons ... which seems extraordinary - seizing control of order paper is one thing - actually passing statute in this way extraordinary...

Obviously none of this could happen to a Govt with a majority."

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1113570111602987013

The past few weeks have been surreal. Game Of Thrones is more believable.

The only thing that will last longer that the past three years mess will be the inevitable public enquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Panrich

So what is the significance of this vote. She won’t go to bat for a long extension so she could ask for a very short one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭RickBlaine

What has the Cooper bill actually changed? I thought May was asking for an extension anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The 14 Tories who voted for the bill

tory.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

RickBlaine wrote: »
    What has the Cooper bill actually changed? I thought May was asking for an extension anyway?

It's legally binding this time as opposed to the previous motion.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I could be wrong here but the bill puts it into law? Where as May was just May saying that. Someone please correct me if I have got that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The 9 Labour who voted against the bill

lab.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hmm not many big surprises I don't think.

Maybe Alistair Burt is one

It rules out No Deal completely insofar as it forces May to ask for an extension. Prior to this, May could have let the clock run down to the 12th and crash out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So this bill is forcing her to do something that she was going to have to do anyway. I don't see the logic in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

So May would legally be required to ask for an extension. Nothing about how long, nothing about EP elections? So what has changed? EU's position is the same: sign up or crash out...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nothing really has changed. May could ask the EU for a 1 ms extension which they could accept or reject and she'd have met the requirements of this bill.

The only thing that will last longer that the past three years mess will be the inevitable public enquiry.

Where the EU will, of course, be scapegoated entirely except for a token "the behaviour of some Brexiteers might have bordered on the reckless". The predictability of it all really has an awe of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Panrich

It rules out No Deal completely insofar as it forces May to ask for an extension. Prior to this, May could have let the clock run down to the 12th and crash out.

But the criteria for an extension still have to be met by the UK so no deal remains the likely outcome despite this vote.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Just more can kicking then without a serious plan. Can't see the EU buying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭RickBlaine

But it doesn't rule out no deal completely. The EU could refuse such a request.

Also, what's stopping May from asking for a 1 week extension and then crashing out at the end of that week.

I read an article today by a legal expert in such matters and he said that Cooper's bill was legally invalid.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

TM might be left to choose between 2 nuclear options on the eve of April 12th. Crash out or revoke article 50.

Panrich wrote: »
    But the criteria for an extension still have to be met by the UK so no deal remains the likely outcome despite this vote.

Exactly. Juncker ruled out a short extension today. It's a long extension or crash out. Everything else is just time wasting as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Panrich wrote: »
    So what is the significance of this vote. She won’t go to bat for a long extension so she could ask for a very short one again.

A law instructing the PM what to do shows that May has no, zero authority. Perhaps even more so because it tells her to do something she already said she would do, and proves that a majority in Parliament, just like us, don't believe what she promises anymore.

In practical terms it changes nothing, but it signals again that Parliament as a whole does not support No Deal, which is good.

May was always going to ask for a short extension to May 22nd, the EU were always going to say at least 21 months with Euro elections or crash out on the 12th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement