Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Irish customs officials will be on board ferries from tomorrow:

http://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1113837427033083904

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/see-20-years-of-fake-news-about-eu-by-uk-press-vote-for-your-favourite-here/?fbclid=IwAR0wB8XbiDTQVuHafNyqAZPZ9ic1OTFFwS8B11kuRE5UQfuimU7H67kJYqk

I'm not sure if this has linked properly, but it a list of 20 years worth of false "EU stories" in the British press. I know it is something we are familiar with but still depressing to see the sheer scale of the non sense.
    How can there be no accountability for this sort of thing.
    I know there are plenty of good intelligent people in the UK, but also a lot of easily led numbskulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I hate the way Varadkar is so sycophantic and apologetic when ever he meets a leader of any bigger nation.

With May: "Downing Street! Oh My Gawd i'm just so happy to be here..."

Trump: "We are so happy you have taken the time out of your busy schedule for this, we are such a small country etc...."

Merkel: "We are so happy you found the time to visit us here (the tiny irrelevant place that we are)..."

For goodness sake you are suppose to be the leader of the country. Stand up straight and stop apologising for seemingly interrupting schedules all the time...

Seriously...we have interests too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I hate the way Varadkar is so sycophantic and apologetic when ever he meets a leader of any bigger nation.

With May: "Downing Street! Oh My Gawd i'm just so happy to be here..."

Trump: "We are so happy you have taken the time out of your busy schedule for this, we are such a small country etc...."

Merkel: "We are so happy you found the time to visit us here (the tiny irrelevant place that we are)..."

For goodness sake you are suppose to be the leader of the country. Stand up straight and stop apologising for seemingly interrupting schedules all the time...

No harm to be a little self-effacing when greeting others. The Downing Street Love Actually thing was a bit much but aside from that no harm in realising that a little sugar goes a long way.

We have needs but we also have a national population which is nearly 50% of London's and 25% of New York's and about the same as Munich and Berlin combined.

We are doing quite well in having our interests represented given London didn't manage to beat us down, we have some of the largest investment of American Multinationals FDI of any country in the world and Angela MErkel and Macron are steadfast in their support for the GFA (unlike the co guarantors)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

i seen no deal was removed from the equation but an hr later it was still possible? so.. yeah nothing changed .?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We have needs but we also have a national population which is nearly 50% of London's and 25% of New York's and about the same as Munich and Berlin combined.

We should also be aware that the EU is facing a substantial test and how it stands with Ireland is being watched carefully by other small EU nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Can't find it but it's been posted/linked here previously. A high proportion of people who favour no deal don't actually understand what "no deal" means.

A lot seem to think "no deal" means everything stays as is.....

Yeah unfortunately thats deliberately misleading bull****, doesn't stop it being something thats popular and mentioned a lot in more hive-mindish/circle-jerking places as it reinforces a narrative about idiot English voters are.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/voters-understand-what-a-no-deal-brexit-means-but-are-split-on-what-impact-itd-have/

With YouGov, we have polled voters on the implications of no deal twice – back in August, and for a second time this month – and found a different story to the one. Just 4 per cent of voters think that a no deal Brexit would mean the ‘UK remains an EU member’

======

Anthony Wells of YouGov has corroborated this evidence with an even lower figure of 1 per cent who think no deal equals Remain. The British public have got the picture, and they haven’t been living under a rock for the past two-and-a-bit years: they know that no deal Brexit would mean we would leave the EU.

Basically as far as I know what happened a Sky Twitter poll got brigaded/manipulated and then the manipulated poll got spread around Twitter by the more obnoxiously elitist remain twitter users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

We should also be aware that the EU is facing a substantial test and how it stands with Ireland is being watched carefully by other small EU nations.
    Indeed. And being inside the club must always be better than being outside the club or else everyone would leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Can anyone explain this tweet?

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1113849242089590786

Surely there's no tatcher era ministers still in parliament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Perhaps not so many in the House of Commons but quite a few would now be members of the House of Lords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yeah unfortunately thats deliberately misleading bull****, doesn't stop it being something thats popular and mentioned a lot in more hive-mindish/circle-jerking places as it reinforces a narrative about idiot English voters are.

I don't think that it was claimed that they think no deal means remain en masse. In your figures there is indeed only 4% of such responses, but then also 18% who don't know what no deal means at all. Put together, almost a quarter of polled souls do not have a clue about the real meaning of no deal. In January 2019.

Significant numbers also believe that the impact of no deal will only be temporary: "63 per cent of Leavers instead agreed there would be ‘short term disruption but no lasting effects’, set against 16 per cent of Remainers."

house of lords taking a break before debating again until late. it will be monday until they have results.. ..relating to requesting a extension.. looking like its going TMs way; uk will partake in eu elections if extension is allowed by eu

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Andrew Adonis is a lord and sits in the House of Lords where the relics of the Thatcher era gather dust. They've obviously been woken from their long post-prandial slumber of retirement to enter the lists for their party. Lawson is a particularly staunch brexiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Agree. And there will be a time when there are future negotiations (such as tax harmony) where it will be implied that we owe support to the concept based on support we are getting now.

It isn't as simple as 'we owe them' or that we should roll over on anything which makes us less competitive but I expect it will happen in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Andrew Adonis is a lord and sits in the House of Lords where the relics of the Thatcher era gather dust. They've obviously been woken from their long post-prandial slumber of retirement to enter the lists for their party. Lawson is a particularly staunch brexiter.

Yet, Thatcher's achievements included the Anglo-Irish Agreement and the Single Market, both to be shredded by the Brexiteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yeah we do and we got a backstop to protect them. He's not doing too bad for a sycophant

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is the HoL trying to block this now? I thought they couldn't do this anymore, so by delaying over three or four days sounds to me like filibustering.

Can they succeed in blocking it by playing silly games or what now?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

MikeSoys wrote: »
    i seen no deal was removed from the equation but an hr later it was still possible? so.. yeah nothing changed .?

This is regularly repeated. It's not out of the equation, it's still the default.

Hurrache wrote: »

This is regularly repeated. It's not out of the equation, it's still the default.
    .. true as im pretty sure i heard it was off the table before..

German Chancellor Angela Merkel: "We will do everything in order to prevent a no-deal Brexit... but we have to do this together with Britain..." https://t.co/7ePN5Dqjaa

sounds like eu might be open to change(change to WA) if a no deal is likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

German Chancellor Angela Merkel: "We will do everything in order to prevent a no-deal Brexit... but we have to do this together with Britain..." https://t.co/7ePN5Dqjaa

If Britain are willing to reconsider those red lines then of course they are. They always have been. They have never said otherwise.

The WA with the parameters as set by the UK unchanged then no - the WA is as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Nope, they aren't based on what the UK currently demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

April 1st was 3 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watching sky news report on what happened today and lord Lawson(aka Margaret thatchers chancellor Nigel lawson) looks on his last few laps. Is this the most the House of Lords have worked in decades ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sounds like the UK are extremely extremely desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Any feedback from May and Corbyn's meeting today?

Sounds like the UK are extremely extremely desperate
    And as has been said very clearly is that the WA that was agreed is based on the Theresa May’s Red lines. If the red lines move then the EU can and will change the WA.

Any feedback from May and Corbyn's meeting today?
    It was their teams meetings today I think. There weren’t any face to face meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I watched the entire press conference live. She was talking in terms of encouraging the British to come forward with a proposal by next Wednesday (EU summit) : nothing to do with reopening the WA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Seems the Tory side used a lot of time explaining the finer details of the WA.
    To meet again tomorrow. Looks like May will send a letter to Corbyn, offering a confirmatory Ref.
    May thinks her hopes mainly rest with HOC making choices. That's a big turnaround from trying to stop indicative votes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement