Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

review in june

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Infini wrote: »
    Would take anything from the Telegraph, Mail or Express with a dumptruck of salt to be fair I don't trust the reliability of information from those publications specifically.
    They're also backing Mark Francois for next conservative leader. I think reliable news source has long dwindled in the rear view mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Review in mid June. May going back in apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So no uniformity is still the name of the game it seems.

Edit: It seems there is a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If that date is the expected date they still need to define the conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Review in mid June. May going back in apparently

to get her conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tory David Campbell Bannerman still spouting on about GATT Article 24 on Newsnight tonight.
    Why would the EU even consider an interim agreement without a withdrawal agreement & backstop?
    And why would the WTO membership not complain about it and demand substantial changes?
    Its just astonishing that these guys can be so naïve.
    The biggest elephant in the GATT XXIV room is the fact that both parties must agree that they are working towards a free-trade area (single market) or a customs union.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They're also backing Mark Francois for next conservative leader. I think reliable news source has long dwindled in the rear view mirror.

I love the way Francois nervously peeks over the rim of his glasses when he is looking for recognition and consensus from whoever is interviewing him. :)

BBC five live are saying that even though the date of October 31st is coming out as the next date, they are also saying that the conditions under how that comes about. So, it's not done yet it seems. Unless they can agree the conditions then does the date mean anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So the EU 27 compromise with each other and agree to the Oct 31. Nice to have politicians working together for the good of the EU/their respect countries

UK could learn a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    BBC five live are saying that even though the date of October 31st is coming out as the next date, they are also saying that the conditions under how that comes about. So, it's not done yet it seems. Unless they can agree the conditions then does the date mean anything ?

My guess is that the EU are considering test's or stringent conditions for the UK to make sure they don't use the opportunity for their more vindictive and spiteful elements like the Bullshíteers to disrupt the functioning of the EU.

EU has agreed extension to A50 according to Donald Tusk.

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1116109939687284736

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

EU has agreed extension to A50 according to Donald Tusk.

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1116109939687284736

Is the UK gov's agreement that he refers to just May agreeing or is a parliament vote required?

It would be interesting tomorrow in the Commons if May agrees to Oct 31st with EP elections.

So do the uk have to vote on this extension or can Theresa May act unilaterally ?

Edit: I ask that because the act of parliament says April the 12th as the exit date.

RickBlaine wrote: »
    Is the UK gov's agreement that he refers to just May agreeing or is a parliament vote required?

Just the EU. TM being called back into the EU council meeting to be informed about it. Date not officially known yet either.

So do the uk have to vote on this extension or can Theresa May act unilaterally ?
    It has to be voted through in the Commons but there are more than enough to get it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Brexit on Halloween! You couldn’t make it up!

MadYaker wrote: »

Oh yes you could and they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

MadYaker wrote: »

The headline writers will have a field day. As well any commentator/politician with any axe to grind.

• Advertisement

Also wasn't it Paris or Brussels where Margaret thatcher went during a Tory party leadership Contest and when she came back she was told to go. History possibly repeating itself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Emily Maitlis repeatedly pointing out to Hoey that her constituency voted 77% remain. Lovely.

Emily Maitlis repeatedly pointing out to Hoey that her constituency voted 77% remain. Lovely.

And what is Hoey saying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Same stance as the DUP - the UK voted leave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The usual shallow crap about people feeling angry and being betrayed yadda yadda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

There are very few people who I have on effective mute. She is one of them.

So they have to hold MEP elections. That itself will provide some amount of fury on the doorstops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

mentioned something about doubling her majority or her actual vote. Vauxhall Labour have deselected her as far as I know, but that could only work if it was a scheduled election. because the last one was a snap election, she was allowed to defend her seat.

anyway, who wants a Theresa May zombie costume for halloween??!

So if there is a deal for an extension then why have the text not being forthcoming an hour after Donald tusk tweeted there is a deal ? Is there been a fly in the soup ?

Macron was apparently "starkly alone" in the discussion and lost the respect of many diplomats according to the Guardian. Will be interesting if more comes out about that.

Can't believe this is gonna drag on until October. It feels like a messy amount of time. I guess Tory-Labour compromise can end for a while, and May will probably be replaced by some Brexiteer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Macron was apparently "starkly alone" in the discussion and lost the respect of many diplomats according to the Guardian. Will be interesting if more comes out about that.

Can't believe this is gonna drag on until October. It feels like a messy amount of time. I guess Tory-Labour compromise can end for a while, and May will probably be replaced by some Brexiteer.

I would not put too much stock in a UK papers take on what happens at EU level.

Given that, as we all know, a new bit of jargon needs to be invented for everything Brexit related, I am going to start calling the end of October extension the "Spookstension".

I will also accept "scarestension" or "Frankenstension".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement