Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Didn't watch your link yet but don't the French have a 2-stage election for President? I assume you are talking about that. So you are free to vote for your minority candidate in the first round and then still have your "real" vote counted in the second. A poor man's STV
    No the French system is FPTP hidden behind an irrelevant first round. Until now, it has always worked to keep the fight between the two major parties.

I'm not sure what your angle is on this. The French system is a poor mans attempt at a STV. Only difference is that there is only one round and the minorities can't get transfers between each other. You can vote for a minority candidate in the first round free in the knowledge that you will still have a vote that counts towards the actual selection. In the UK, there is no point voting for the minority candidate because your vote likely won't count towards the actual final decision. In the French system it will (assuming you vote again)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Headshot wrote: »
    It's made a hard brexit a much better possibility now which is very bad for Ireland

The times at the moment are extraordinary and the speaker should of given May a 3rd chance tbh. There was signs of MP's changing their mind but now that's gone tits up

But brexit is driven, in large part, by the desire to take back control, to give power back (that people deemed they had lost) to the HoC. Bercow is simply asserting the rules of the HoC.

Yet again, Brexiteers seems very determined to get everything back until UK control, except for the parts of UK control that they don't like.

TM knew of this rule, and was simply attempting to blag her way past it, probably on the basis that like so much else that she would get away with it. Shows, yet again, how stupid and pointless it was to postpone the initial vote for 5 weeks for no reason at all. That has left her with very little wiggle room.

Although, I have to say at this point I actually think it was part of the plan. She must have known that no deal she ever brought back would ever be sufficient, given that many Brexiteers seem to think the EU would simply capitulate to everything.

So the only viable option was to simply run the clock down and end up having to postpone Brexit, and being able to blame it on someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Lots of :eek: on Twitter and elsewhere, but remember folks, you read it here first! :p (or rather "there" at the end of the last Brexit thread ;) )
    Based on his recent rulings (and only that - I'm no expert on HoC procedures), this is my slightly revised prediction of what'll happen next:
    - Bercow says no 3rd vote unless the motion is signficantly amended
    - Kyle-Wilson amendment is tabled as just such an significant change (fits with Kyle saying he'd wait till the time was right)
    but amended itself to specify that
    -- the subsequent people's vote should be "this deal or no Brexit" on the grounds that parliament has voted no-deal off the table; and
    -- if the EU will not grant an extension to allow such a vote, that Article 50 be revoked (calls the bluff of the ERG's friends in Europe)
    - WA passes with a reasonable majority (ERG and DUP voting against)
    - EU grants only a long extension on the grounds that the UK won't have enough time to organise EP elections if people vote for no Brexit.

This is by no means a green light for a no-deal Brexit - it's a warning to TM that it's time she stopped talking to the headbangers and reached out to the other parties. Given the very short time remaining, Kyle-Wilson is still the best hope for getting TM out of the hole she's dug, because without that - or something very similar - she has nothing to offer the EU.

I'm going back on the live stream.. How long ago did the speech pretty much end? Big news.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

No. 10 are not happy and appear to be caught off guard, according to their spokesperson:
    The Speaker didn’t give forewarning as of the content, or indeed the fact he was making one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But brexit is driven, in large part, by the desire to take back control, to give power back (that people deemed they had lost) to the HoC. Bercow is simply asserting the rules of the HoC.

Yet again, Brexiteers seems very determined to get everything back until UK control, except for the parts of UK control that they don't like.

TM knew of this rule, and was simply attempting to blag her way past it, probably on the basis that like so much else that she would get away with it. Shows, yet again, how stupid and pointless it was to postpone the initial vote for 5 weeks for no reason at all. That has left her with very little wiggle room.

Although, I have to say at this point I actually think it was part of the plan. She must have known that no deal she ever brought back would ever be sufficient, given that many Brexiteers seem to think the EU would simply capitulate to everything.

So the only viable option was to simply run the clock down and end up having to postpone Brexit, and being able to blame it on someone else.

It's not a rule but a guideline. It was the speakers discretion to allow or disallow the vote

It's a guideline from 500 years ago, not many would know about this......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm going back on the live stream.. How long ago did the speech pretty much end? Big news.

around 30 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/6289c4a0-f2c1-4375-afe4-a9dcffbbe738

You can navigate between the speeches in the ticker on the right hand side. Bercow's statement started at 15.33 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭20silkcut

It’s a good move in that it gives 12 days to parliament to concentrate on avoiding no deal.
    No more bull **** like we saw last week.
    No more wondering who will back what or who will climb down or shift etc.

It clears the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does Bercow have a team behind him or is he making these decisions on his own?

• Advertisement

Does Bercow have a team behind him or is he making these decisions on his own?

He takes advice on all parliamentary issues from his team of clerks, I believe. It's not a unilateral decision-making process.

Bercow has just said he believed such a change, to allow a third meaningful vote, would need to require a renegotiation at EU level, rather than clarification of the legal advice written by the Attorney General

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Started at 3:30, speech was about 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It's not a rule but a guideline. It was the speakers discretion to allow or disallow the vote

It has been under discussion a lot lately. Arguing they did not know is ludicrous simply because the possibility has been discussed lately in English political media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yes he did say that according to the regulation whether a vote can return in it's initial format is at the speakers discretion. He said it would have to return "substantially changed" but he also mentioned that he has not said his final word on the matter.
    Surely amidst a context of a country on the brink of something that will dictate it's future for generations discretion could understandably be exercised here.

If not it makes me wonder about a future vote on a referendum seeing as they gave that a negative response last week too.

Regulation guideline from 1604. This has Reece Mog written all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

RickBlaine wrote: »
    Bercow has just said he believed such a change, to allow a third meaningful vote, would need to require a renegotiation at EU level, rather than clarification of the legal advice written by the Attorney General

Yup and as Jessica Elgot put it

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1107678081236561925

Calina wrote: »
    It has been under discussion a lot lately. Arguing they did not know is ludicrous simply because the possibility has been discussed lately in English political media.

If they thought that Bercow would just keep allowing the same deal to be proposed over and over again, then they're as naive as they are arrogant. Common sense would dictate that you can't keep asking the house to keep debating the very same thing over and over again. Even if you didn't know there was a rule about it, it'd be common sense to assume that there was, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

RickBlaine wrote: »
    No. 10 are not happy and appear to be caught off guard, according to their spokesperson:

Fair play. You’ve just about very succinctly summed up the last 4 years of British politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

volchitsa wrote: »
    Tell that to Lionel Jospin. ;)

<snip>

What it usually does is to give voters a protest vote without actually giving the "protest" party much chance of getting into power.

<snip>

I think it's more like giving the voters a second chance, a sort of "Are you really sure this is what you want to do?" kind of vote. FPTP doesn't do that, for good or ill.
    You can vote for a minority candidate in the first round free in the knowledge that you will still have a vote that counts towards the actual selection. In the UK, there is no point voting for the minority candidate because your vote likely won't count towards the actual final decision. In the French system it will (assuming you vote again)

Having had to live with the results of French elections for fifteen years, I wholeheartedly disagree. :D The defining characteristic of FPTP is that the electorate votes against their least favourite candidate, and returns a candidate who does not have the support of the majority. Most non-French media concentrate on the result of the second round and then promptly forget about French politics until the next election, so it's easy to think that someone like Chirac, Sarkozy or Hollande got off to a good start with a victory based on a 50-65% share of the vote.

In practice, all those "protest" votes are a very real manifestation of the wishes of the electorate, and the second round has become a farce. As the Jospin example showed, the there can be as little as less than 0.5% of a gap between the second and third-placed candidates, and between them, the first two can share a total of less than 55% of the total. So no sooner has the winner taken office than they're faced with a barrage of criticism from the 60-75% that didn't vote for them. That's not a protest, that's disenfranchisement, FPTP-style. There's absolutely nothing STV-ish about the process: in round two, you get to vote on someone else's first preference, not your own second choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Remember the use of Henry 8th powers? Pepperidge Farm remembers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It would seem the DUP talks are going nowhere, that the vote is currently more likely to be cancelled than held, and as such, that the UK will have to elect MEPs:

http://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1107621548767301632

http://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1107608543946031104

Well I was going to say before the Speaker intervened that her deal was dead in any case as the DUP would not vote for it and it seems that enough Tories would still not back it.

As for the current intervention the path seems to lead to either a new referendum or election or no-deal Brexit as May will not get her deal renegotiated to bring it back for another vote. She also seems too stubborn to drop her red lines so even if she is allowed to go back for more to the EU it is doubtful she will come back with anything new.

I think we need to strap ourselves in, no-deal seems to be path we are heading as I think one of the EU countries will not grant an extension so no matter how the HoC votes, unless it is to revoke, we are heading for disaster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If not it makes me wonder about a future vote on a referendum seeing as they gave that a negative response last week too.

Most of Labour abstained in that vote for the referendum amendment in order to allow them to bring the different amendment this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It just need new clever wording to what was in the Wollaston amendment last week ( i think)

robinph wrote: »
    Most of Labour abstained in that vote for the referendum amendment in order to allow them to bring the different amendment this week.

The 2nd ref vote last week was an amendment to a main vote. If a new 2nd ref vote is tabled as the main vote rather than an amendment, that may be enough to justify another vote. I don't know the details of parliamentary procedure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AFAIK Benn is good friends with Bercow, and Benn asked the question. The notion it was prompted by Mogg is nonsense. Benn's proposed indicitive motions has the support of Bercow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nothing to do with impact to politics or political party. I'm talking about ultra brexiter scumbags on the street rioting.

Which is why I referred to a second referendum as somehow mitigating against the angle of "traitorous betrayal of the will of the people" or whatever crap you know would be used to justify it!
    So we should bow to the bully boys ? Appease those who can't be appeased ? Immigration won't stop, it won't even slow down. So they'll probably riot at some stage in any event.

Last time we had a hard border 3,000 people died. Scumbags rioting up there barely makes it on the news.

They should invite the PSNI and their petrol bomb proof armoured Land Rovers and baton rounds over. It could be practice for marching season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Having had to live with the results of French elections for fifteen years, I wholeheartedly disagree. :D The defining characteristic of FPTP is that the electorate votes against their least favourite candidate, and returns a candidate who does not have the support of the majority. Most non-French media concentrate on the result of the second round and then promptly forget about French politics until the next election, so it's easy to think that someone like Chirac, Sarkozy or Hollande got off to a good start with a victory based on a 50-65% share of the vote.

In practice, all those "protest" votes are a very real manifestation of the wishes of the electorate, and the second round has become a farce. As the Jospin example showed, the there can be as little as less than 0.5% of a gap between the second and third-placed candidates, and between them, the first two can share a total of less than 55% of the total. So no sooner has the winner taken office than they're faced with a barrage of criticism from the 60-75% that didn't vote for them. That's not a protest, that's disenfranchisement, FPTP-style. There's absolutely nothing STV-ish about the process: in round two, you get to vote on someone else's first preference, not your own second choice.

At the risk of dragging off topic, do you not know how STV works?

If there were three candidates left with only 0.5% between second and third, under STV, assuming first has not reached quota, third would be eliminated anyway and his votes redistributed

FPTP is not restricted to 2 candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I don't understand your point here - unless they abstained in the second round, then they did of course vote for the second choice, just as much as someone votes for the second or third fourth choice in STV. They didn't have to vote for that person, and even if that person would have been their last choice in STV, then they chose at some point to vote for them.

You may as well say that STV is unfair because some people get their first pick elected while others don't even get their second, third or fourth.

Or that the people who get a second third or fourth pick elected have in fact been given an extra vote that an elector, none of whose chosen candidates got through, didn't get.

I'm not saying that's true, just that the notion that it's unfair that everyone gets to go back to have a second pick doesn't really stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1107665317436837888?s=21

Guy Verhofstadt not happy.

There is an angle in the debate where the view is it is better for the UK to just leave the EU now for the sake of the EU.
    That if the UK were to remain they would just spread their toxic environment to others given whatever happens now people are going to be very unhappy.
    That the UK and their mess is taking up valuable time in the EU and people are fed up dealing with the nonsense in the withdrawal process.
    The feeling among some is just cut them lose and everyone can then move on.
    Some believe that things would get so bad for the UK under no deal, that they would come running back to the EU looking for a new deal and would the UK would in this situation go for a much softer Brexit so to exit the chaos of being in a no deal scenario.
    A bit like with the Greeks and they were not accepting of the deal, but after the banks ran out of money and the ATM machines not giving the money wanted, they then changed their minds.
    This could be where Brexit goes...maybe the UK has to go over the cliff before they see sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I'm just hearing that the speaker of the house John Bercow has said that the government can't just bring back the deal again next week if it's the same or more or less the same. That sounds like a bad day for Theresa May. The EU have said there will be no further clarification or anything to do with the withdrawal agreement so that means the deal as it stand is dead then surely ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement