Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

'Brexit Backlash'
    the story of the day so far

https://election.news.sky.com/england-local-council-elections-26

CON
    −433

LAB
    −85

LIB DEM
    +302

UKIP
    −54

OTHER (greens making big gains as well as independents)
    +270

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm not sure I'd fancy a general election if I were the Conservatives or Labour at the moment!

The greens are up 40 according to the Guardian's tracker. Some of the figures are different between the Guardian and other media as the Guardian count the results as of the dissollution of the councils rather than the results from the previous Local elections
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/may/02/local-elections-2019-live-results-for-english-councils

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Potential future Tory leader and potential UK PM Johnson with another gaff, it would be a laugh if this man became UK PM

https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/1124229896635584513

Media saviour of the Tories in Scotland displaying her usual waffle when put under a bit of scrutiny (Davidson is actually a media construct who has used her old pals act especially in the BBC to continully give her a free run)

https://twitter.com/jim45cotland/status/1124053919695613962

I'm not sure I'd fancy a general election if I were the Conservatives or Labour at the moment!

Some of the brexiteers have spoken to the press saying that the public are just annoyed that they have been so slow to deliver brexit and that they should just leave ASAP. They're clearly worried about the prospect of either a general election or a 2nd referendum.

I'd be very interested in the breakdown of what kinds of independents have been elected. Are they strongly pro-brexit independents, or strongly pro-leave, or are they focused on other local issues which have been sidelined throughout this saga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So more stagnation between now and Halloween as neither will want to trigger a election.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Akrasia wrote: »
    Some of the brexiteers have spoken to the press saying that the public are just annoyed that they have been so slow to deliver brexit and that they should just leave ASAP. They're clearly worried about the prospect of either a general election or a 2nd referendum.

I'd be very interested in the breakdown of what kinds of independents have been elected. Are they strongly pro-brexit independents, or strongly pro-leave, or are they focused on other local issues which have been sidelined throughout this saga.

Takes either some serious mental contortions to think like that or some serious levels of composure to deliver that with a straight face...

If you were concerned about the 'slow' pace of delivering Brexit - why would you vote for remain candidates who would like to see Brexit buried forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Akrasia wrote: »

I've seen it reported that a number of the Independents are former Ukip, and generally lean pro Brexit.

It's worth noting that Farage's Brexit party isn't running and Ukip aren't running in something like 70% of areas that they ran in last time, due to the party split.

Many voters are not voting Tory because they are unhappy about Brexit being delayed, while Labour are also most widely seen as a remain party (even though many remainers see them otherwise) - so we're seeing a lean towards independents and smaller parties.

There's also the fact that the Lib Dems suffered huge losses last time around as a protest of their core voters against their coalition with the Tories, so many of their gains are just a return to status quo.

I suspect the Euro elections in a few weeks with Farage's party running will see very different results. It might be overly optimistic to see these results as a win for remain.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Takes either some serious mental contortions to think like that or some serious levels of composure to deliver that with a straight face...

If you were concerned about the 'slow' pace of delivering Brexit - why would you vote for remain candidates who would like to see Brexit buried forever?
    Unless the combined vote of both labour and the Tories are below 50% of the total seats in the election (which was never going to happen), you'll see these people saying 'Most people voted for pro-Brexit parties in the local elections'

It's the same spin they used to justify Brexit after the Conservatives lost their majority in the last General Election.

You'll also have spin around the fact that the Brexit party didn't contest the local elections and that UKIP ran fewer candidates etc etc etc

There is no shortage of ways a politician can spin the results of this election to justify their own position.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Potentially positive results from a Remain perspective, but the real test will be the Euro elections and sadly I expect the Brexit Party to do well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48142181
    Labour has also had a disappointing night, losing about 80 seats to date.

Speaking in Greater Manchester, Jeremy Corbyn said he "wanted to do better" and conceded voters who disagreed with its backing for Brexit had deserted the party.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ! Has he finally seen the light?
    Has Corbyn realised that he is standing inches in front of an open goal and all he has to do is nudge the ball over the line?
    You wonder sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Watching Election 2019 coverage on BBC2 at the moment

Diane Abbott does talk such nonsense

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Labour has lost overall control in party stronghold Bolsover for the first time. There's one the Beast won't be crowing over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Taffs are rebelling - May heckled in Wales at party conference

.https://twitter.com/evanoconnell/status/1124278569688018944

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Trying to follow the NI count via various news sites and, so far (it's early yet), it looks like the DUP have not been punished by the electorate.

The Taffs are rebelling - May heckled in Wales at party conference

.https://twitter.com/evanoconnell/status/1124278569688018944
    ...and he gets kicked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Trying to follow the NI count via various news sites and, so far (it's early yet), it looks like the DUP have not been punished by the electorate.

I almost fell off my chair :rolleyes:

Sometimes in life you get what you deserve. Especially when you vote based on identity or a dislike of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Although Torys have held Tunbridge Wells, they lost 28% of their seats there... that's a massive blow to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Headshot wrote: »
    Watching Election 2019 coverage on BBC2 at the moment

Diane Abbott does talk such nonsense

along with Barry Gardiner, Rebecca Long Bailey and Lisa Nandy.

Labour just lose voters when they speak.

At least Emily Thornberry has realised her constituency is getting fed up and is beginning to talk less nonsense lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

So nothing new in backwards NI.depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

boggerman1 wrote: »

Would it be far to say the order of importance of elections in NI is Assembly, National, Local , Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

boggerman1 wrote:

Entrenched tribalism; nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Would it be far to say the order of importance of elections in NI is Assembly, National, Local , Europe?
    with the assembly suspended these local elections are a bit more important then usual.

northern Ireland is and always has been a political basket case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The DUP have been doing exactly what DUP voters wanted them to do - no matter how idiotic it is - I don't know why people are expecting them to be "punished".

bilston wrote: »
    Potentially positive results from a Remain perspective, but the real test will be the Euro elections and sadly I expect the Brexit Party to do well.

Euro elections are a different animal....sadly it will be decided by those with a passionate dislike for the EU who have far more motivation to get out and vote. It wouldn't say the Euro result would be at all indicative of the likely result in a second referendum - but the Brexiteers will try to paint it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

bilston wrote: »

Fascinating to see how this is being spun. The Tories and Labour leadership are in total denial and trying to claim this is somehow a vote for Brexit

But the responses on Twitter are very telling and most people recognise this was an anti-Brexit vote. Keep in mind by the way that the Brexit Party are only expected to get around 30% of the votes max. It's a big amount certainly but it's probably the upper ceiling of where hard Brexiteers are.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The DUP have been doing exactly what DUP voters wanted them to do - no matter how idiotic it is - I don't know why people are expecting them to be "punished".
    I didn't expect it to be like this (and I'm aware that it's early yet)...
    479332.PNG

The most up-to-date count I can find is https://elections.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ni-local-election-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

I didn't expect it to be like this (and I'm aware that it's early yet)...
    479332.PNG

The most up-to-date count I can find is https://elections.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ni-local-election-2019

that's extremely interesting. Looks like people in NI have more faith in the Alliance Party than Sinn Fein at the moment. That could be extremely interesting in the days and months ahead.

Thats a hell of a battering the Conservatives and the Labour Party have taken. No doubt it'll further increase pressure on TM To quit as British PM.:eek:

I just read 819 people ran for 462 seats in NI? So even by running, you'd have more than a 50% chance of winning? That sounds very good odds to me, and also explains how DUP keep getting elected!

2,038 candidates for 949 seats in the 2014 republic council election.

I'm actually surprised. I thought the ratio of winners:losers would have been around 1:4

that's extremely interesting. Looks like people in NI have more faith in the Alliance Party than Sinn Fein at the moment. That could be extremely interesting in the days and months ahead.
    It could also just be the constituiences counted so far.
    Currently it is now DUP=22, AP=14, SF=9 & UUP=9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

It is so disheartening to see the DUP doing so well in these local elections. After all their antics over the past 2 years you'd have expected them to get annihilated, but it seems like the exact opposite.

When will the North ever get out of this tribalism that seems to grip every single election? :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement