Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

To my mind revocation of A50 and the UK remaining an EU member is the worst outcome here. It's clear to the world from the antics of the past 2+ years is that key parts of that country are badly broken. Their education system, their meeja, and their politics. Neither do I wish to see UK MEP's elected to the EP. It would all result in so much more toxic, nonsensical, time wasting blather. We need to return focus to what's good for members who wish to be members.

Also I can't see the point in any A50 extensions. The HOC is a farce. Govt voting against it's own proposals and a quite useless main opposition party. Really, the tune was called and played and it's high time to pay the piper. UK out on the 29th, deal or not, fini.

We cannot control them, nor I think dk we wish to. But, we can refuse to enable this nonsense. They may now sleep in the bed they have made. There will be future trade negotiations, and let the EU settle what's left to settle with the UK at that time. Perhaps minds will be more focused with a dose of harsh reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

badtoro wrote: »
    To my mind revocation of A50 and the UK remaining an EU member is the worst outcome here. It's clear to the world from the antics of the past 2+ years is that key parts of that country are badly broken. Their education system, their meeja, and their politics. Neither do I wish to see UK MEP's elected to the EP. It would all result in so much more toxic, nonsensical, time wasting blather. We need to return focus to what's good for members who wish to be members.

It wouldnt be the worst outcome thats the crashout scenario. It wouldn't be ideal either but the conservatives created and owned this mess and it's likely they'll be out of government come the next election as this was all their creation and fault to begin with or its a hung parliment again. Regardless it will give those in the UK who still have common sense the impetus to take on these headbangers and try and prevent a repeat of this. Idiots rarely get a 2nd chance to cause a mess like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Farage isn't a member of any party at the moment, and given that the UK elect MEPs on a list system, unless he forms something pretty fast, or UKIP take him back in, he probably won't be back.
    there will be a few complete nutjobs though, UKIP have absorbed a few 'filthy articles' since the referendum

He is making himself busy forming "The Brexit party"!

I would imagine the letter has one person drafting it and about 20 others editing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

I would imagine the letter has one person drafting it and about 20 others editing it.

Your wrong...they cant decide how to start it....

Infini wrote: »

It wouldnt be the worst outcome thats the crashout scenario. It wouldn't be ideal either but the conservatives created and owned this mess and it's likely they'll be out of government come the next election as this was all their creation and fault to begin with or its a hung parliment again. Regardless it will give those in the UK who still have common sense the impetus to take on these headbangers and try and prevent a repeat of this. Idiots rarely get a 2nd chance to cause a mess like this.

I understand but disagree on which is worse, as if the UK continued to be a member due to revocation of A50 there could be incredible disruption and distraction internally. I see an unhappy UK led by or as influenced as it is today by the Brexit cheerleaders as a threat inside the EU. I would prefer them as a third party outside the tent and let them fix their own issues or not. At least then the EU can reduce the time spent on this farce and focus on real problems like debt and external threats to the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

Your wrong...they cant decide how to start it....

They are probably still arguing over the font to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm half convinced this letter will be intentionally designed as one to be rejected, then either WA goes thru or the UK has the default hard Brexit and May gets to blame Bercow and the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I understand but disagree on which is worse, as if the UK continued to be a member due to revocation of A50 there could be incredible disruption and distraction internally. I see an unhappy UK led by or as influenced as it is today by the Brexit cheerleaders as a threat inside the EU. I would prefer them as a third party outside the tent and let them fix their own issues or not. At least then the EU can reduce the time spent on this farce and focus on real problems like debt and external threats to the East.

I wonder if Tusk's visit today was to reassure Ireland and to explain how we will be supported when the UK doesn't get its extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Igotadose wrote: »
    What, no agreement yet with the Duchy of Fenwick?!
    It's the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

They had a plan to declare war on the USA, get defeated and so become a recipient of the Marshal Aid Plan.

So unlike the UK they had a achievable plan with definite end goals within a realistic time frame. And the overwhelming support of the people.

And they still screwed up the plan.

In reality look at the deal with the Faroe Islands or Chile to see how the UK has already rolled over to a micro-nation and wine exporting country.

I wonder if Tusk's visit today was to reassure Ireland and to explain how we will be supported when the UK doesn't get its extension.

Don't know, but either way I hope the EU puts it's money where it's mouth is if we need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Rather than having to revoke Art 50 at the last minute to prevent Crash Out Brexit, TM has one better option for her on the table. Have her Deal passed by the HOC subject to a Ref.
    In that case, it would be the people who might have in effect revoked Art 50 not the Govn't.
    I'm sure some way can be found around Bercow's ruling if that is an impediment to a decision o the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Water John wrote: »
    Rather than having to revoke Art 50 at the last minute to prevent Crash Out Brexit, TM has one better option for her on the table. Have her Deal passed by the HOC subject to a Ref.
    In that case, it would be the people who might have in effect revoked Art 50 not the Govn't.
    I'm sure some way can be found around Bercow's ruling if that is an impediment to a decision o the matter.

Tacking a referendum onto the bill would substantially change it per Bercow's guidance and it then would certainly be allowed to a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You're wrong...they cant decide how to start it....
    Maybe this will help them.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/sample-letter-to-ask-for-job-back-2059491

Anyway, don't they have until Thursday morning to submit the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

http://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1108113870546223104

Of course, the call of the yellowhammer has been phonetically rendered as "a-little-bit-of-bread-and-no-cheese"!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UK economy looking strong with unemployment falling below 4% stats showed today.

More economic ammunition for the Brexiters.

Brexit not having any real negative effect on the numbers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I suppose they will use registered post being a important letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Igotadose wrote: »
    All sorts of rumours out there as to who might end up as UK MEP's - Farage, Yaxley-whateverhisnameis, ... Might make for interesting times at the EU Parliament.

Sound like a total disaster to me.
    The next parliament could a toilet full of detritus sent by the UK in a fit of rage just before it leaves teaming up with Putin's Little Helpers from the various stupid & corrupt right wing parties that are increasing in popularity around Europe.

Edit...I suppose if the remain tending voters get quite organised & turn out in force a very "schizophrenic" set of UK MEPs could be returned (more pro EU types than sent by the UK previously perhaps mixed with more extreme hard Brexit nutjobs!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

UK economy looking strong with unemployment falling below 4% stats showed today.

More economic ammunition for the Brexiters.

Brexit not having any real negative effect on the numbers so far.

On the surface yes...but an awful lot of these “new jobs” are low productivity low paid jobs-as business don’t want to make huge investment in capital and infrastructure so just hire low paid staff to do the work instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Tusk tweeted that he "discussed latest developments and uncertain political situation in London as well as preparedness for a no-deal brexit."

He went to Dublin straight from meetings with Merkel and Macron, so I'd say he was sent to register their displeasure with the situation.
    At the end of the day, this pair hold the real power in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So France and Germany hold the power?

Why is nobody asking how the UK, one of the biggest economies in the world, allowed itself to be so utterly outmanovered with the EU by these and how that portrays how they will find themselves against the likes of the USA and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

recedite wrote: »
    Tusk tweeted that he "discussed latest developments and uncertain political situation in London as well as preparedness for a no-deal brexit."

He went to Dublin straight from meetings with Merkel and Macron, so I'd say he was sent to register their displeasure with the situation.
    At the end of the day, this pair hold the real power in the EU.

So the Franco German line is that something substantial must be on the table to allow any extension?

road_high wrote: »
    So the Franco German line is that something substantial must be on the table to allow any extension?

Watching Newsnight it seems a short extension until 21st May is the best and final offer at this point, which would boil down to May's deal or No deal. There will not be an either or option i.e. short and long. This is unless May comes up with something significant i.e. GE or Referendum that would justify a longer extension. EU representative exasperated in the interview, mind you the BBC were asking her how the EU could fix this :rollseyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Inquitus wrote: »
    EU representative exasperated in the interview, mind you the BBC were asking her how the EU could fix this :rollseyes:

Was just watching that. How the girl from the EU kept her cool and didn’t say what she was clearly thinking is beyond me ! I think the BBC’s line of questioning is indicative of the whole mess tbh, a refusal or unwillingness to see reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The conservative on Newsnight is getting destroyed lol

Headshot wrote: »

Aye, well to be fair, he really doesn't have a leg to stand on lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Wasn't he the guy who was described as the worst government minister ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

And he still keeps coming back to the whole EU needing to be flexible if it wants a deal thing. As good as said TM doesn’t need to change anything, it needs everyone else to be flexible.
    The mind boggles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement