Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hurrache wrote: »
    Some seeing it as Tusk resigned to a no deal.

Possibly. Really not sure where this leaves it. Sounded positive for pm to me on first listen but not so sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Possibly. Really not sure where this leaves it. Sounded positive for pm to me on first listen but not so sure now.

I think it pretty much says that if the meaningful vote is not passed next week, that's it, you're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

bob mcbob wrote: »

Ouch. Surely this makes the referendum issue more difficult. How can you go to the people and offer only May's deal or remain when no deal seems to be the preferred version of brexit by the populous if any was to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think it pretty much says that if the meaningful vote is not passed next week, that's it, you're out.
    Can someone please explain why they would need an extension if the vote goes through?

If this guarantees she can get the mv before hoc next week then it’s definitely positive for her I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A few minutes ago a clearly exasperated Heidi Allen losing it saying "NO MORE!" to the despatch box.

Just now: SNP MP "Bring it on, we'll get all our seats back" when comments about May calling a GE were made.

Jesus. A crazy thought just entered my mind listening to the Commons.

Revoke Article 50 > General Election > Conservatives run on May's Deal / Labour runs on No Brexit. If Conservatives win, Article 50 again with a mandate.

Is it just the beers I'm drinking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ouch. Surely this makes the referendum issue more difficult. How can you go to the people and offer only May's deal or remain when no deal seems to be the preferred version of brexit by the populous if any was to happen?

Because no deal is going to be disastrous. The leadership of this country needs to stop cowering behind a nebulous mandate issued by the electorate in a facile referendum called 3 years ago and actually show some courage by acting in the interest of the nation instead of themselves.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Meanwhile a “Leave means Leave” protest, also known as the “Brexit betrayal march” is underway with tens of Brexit supporters walking for two weeks from Sunderland to London demanding the UK leaves the EU on 29 March.

Brilliant!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why they would need an extension if the vote goes through?

Not 100% but think they would need time to move necessary legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Because they have sweet fa prepped for actually leaving the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Are they having an MV 3 vote today then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

This is actually frightening to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

And I think TM would be delighted with this interpretation.

Turns up the pressure massively on the ERG/DUP.

Today's Daily Mail uses the language she'll probably use in that she hopes that the public will blame the "Brexit Zealots" for no-deal if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭20silkcut

ShooterSF wrote: »

Incredible to think 43% want no deal .

Is there something we are missing??

Are they being told something different to us??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Because at this stage they do not have enough time left to vote on and implement all of the other legislation required for the WA to actually come in to force under UK law..

It's just incompetence layered on incompetence at this stage.

No matter what outcome people might have thought they were voting for , none of them expected this level of utter ineptitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Can't they just call new session of parliament, bypass bercow put WA as full and final this +extension or no+leave ?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Sounds like Tusk is sending a message to Commons with his expectation of a no deal statement more than anything.

He’s run rings around the UK throughout this process.

Genuinely can’t see anything other than Article 50 being revoked at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Whatever about trade deals, border infrastructure, mile long queues at the ports they also are incredibly far behind on changing all required legislation that is linked or connected to the EU. Its not physically possible to get it done in the 8 days left and at the pathetic rate they've been progressing i would say they would be hard pressed to get it finished by the May deadline too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I was always confident no deal would be avoided, but now I'm not so sure.
    Tusk has put it up to them. If this mess wasn't hurting me personally I would be fully supporting him.
    As the old saying goes, "**** or get off the pot"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

20silkcut wrote: »

Is there something we are missing??

Are they being told something different to us??

Many don't understand what No Deal actually means, they think it means Brexit doesn't happen. I know that sounds insane, but a few different polls have shown this. Staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Gintonious wrote: »

He must be shorting the pound or something.

Either way won't be people like him with investment funds who will suffer most from no deal Brexit. Sickening to see tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

seamus wrote: »

It's quite an amazing phenomenon of Brexit. Not only has the factual part of an orderly exit from the EU been proven impossible, but even the fantasy stuff, the Brexit-related "wins" that people voted on and that people attached to their own personal visions of Brexit, have been proven wrong.

Is that not actually a bad sign, once you're in we aren't going to let you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

20silkcut wrote: »

Where did you see this?

I saw a poll yesterday or the day before that said it is 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Because no deal is going to be disastrous. The leadership of this country needs to stop cowering behind a nebulous mandate issued by the electorate in a facile referendum called 3 years ago and actually show some courage by acting in the interest of the nation instead of themselves.

But can you put the genie back in the bottle? Put yourself in the shoes of someone who voted for brexit 3 years ago and wanted a hard brexit now seeing polls that 43% would support no deal in a referendum and then having your government comeback with a referendum NOT offering it. How would it not lead to chaos?

I'm not anti EU and I don't live in the UK so I'm obviously not entrenched in this but I just can't see how you sell that.

EDIT For what it is worth I think the first referendum was idiotic but the govt is in a corner now and the rest of the floor is covered in wet paint imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Maybe I should have clarified that to "An Anglo-centric vision of an orderly exit".

An orderly exit is perfectly possible. There's a Withdrawal Agreement on the table that proves it.

The orderly exit that the UK wanted (i.e. give us everything and we'll offer nothing in return), is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There are going to be some absolutely fascinating autobiographies in a few years time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Eod100 wrote: »
    He must be shorting the pound or something.

Either way won't be people like him with investment funds who will suffer most from no deal Brexit. Sickening to see tbh.

No , because he's already moved his fund to Dublin to protect him from that...

Man of the people though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Spook_ie wrote: »
    What's happening with the UK wouldn't apply to other countries - it's the border with NI that fecks everthing up for them.

Just the island of Britain leaving would have been easier - although there still would have been disputes among themselves as to the sort of Brexit that they wanted ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement