Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Has Tusk pulled the rug from the People's Vote crowd?
    Surely this is either May's deal or no deal time now..

Has parliament got the nerve to vote down her deal again?
    Don't think so... People's Vote would be a valid reason for extension - Tusk has said that the EU shouldn't extend on the basis of May's request if May's deal isn't passed. In other words, it's a specific answer to the specific request.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I believe he did nothing but state that a short extension will only be provided if her deal passes. He did not rule out a long extension but worded his statement in a way that doesn't cause offence to the UK media and to get them to hate him for suggesting a long extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes I was wondering about that now. But good on them if they still go ahead with it. Messages from the masses are important no matter what.

As to whether the WA vote passes or not I don't know. But what I do know is that those who choose to vote it down have no clue as to the consequences of such an action. It is visceral now. To hell with the people.

So here's my guess as to what she's announcing (based on nothing)... May will agree to a People's Vote (and perhaps resign) if HoC is allowed to hold MV3 and it isn't passed.

She'll believe that fear from Brexiteers in all parties will be that PV will be remain in EU the second time around and will vote for her deal in MV3 if those are the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Enzokk wrote: »
    I believe he did nothing but state that a short extension will only be provided if her deal passes. He did not rule out a long extension but worded his statement in a way that doesn't cause offence to the UK media and to get them to hate him for suggesting a long extension.

Cheers.
    It's been so hectic today I didn't get to see / read his full statement - I hope they can hold their nerve, but isn't it in May's gift to revoke article 50 or crash out if her deal falls?

Is there a mechanism for parliament actually to grab the steering wheel of this clown car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,279 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a ****ing idiot on Sky News, those Brexiteers are such poison to the country, spreading their lies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I would be surprised if it is not the same old same old from TM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

So here's my guess as to what she's announcing (based on nothing)... May will agree to a People's Vote (and perhaps resign) if HoC is allowed to hold MV3 and it isn't passed.

She'll believe that fear from Brexiteers in all parties will be that PV will be remain in EU the second time around and will vote for her deal in MV3 if those are the options.

No, likely to just be an anodyne recap of the day's events, and calling on MPs to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Headshot wrote: »
    What a ****ing idiot on Sky News, those Brexiteers are such poison to the country, spreading their lies

Blatant lies and nonsense, and he stands there saying it with a smile on his face.

Going cap in hand looking for an extension is a humiliation? I'd be more humiliated not having the balls to lead for that which you seek.

I haven't seen any MPs on my doorstep.

Kalyke wrote: »
    I would be surprised if it is not the same old same old from TM.
    No, likely to just be an anodyne recap of the day's events, and calling on MPs to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement.

Oh, I absolutely wouldn't be surprised, but today has felt considerably different and May is snookered by Bercow's position on MV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Headshot wrote: »
    I’ve never heard of him but I agree he said some utter scutter about them leaving by no deal to be a land of milk and honey.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

From speculation on twitter it seems that the ERG may have issued an ultimatum.

It also seems that the media are briefed and being embargoed since they're all avoiding speculation and showing VT footage rather than discussing what might be coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

She could just cut out the middleman and announce that she's adopting the Kyle Wilson amendment. She wont though. She's in groundhog day mode. She's gonna say that she always wanted to leave the EU with a deal and voting for her deal is the best way to ensure that, like she's said a bazillion times already

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

People's vote is meaningless unless the questions can be agreed.

Change the questions, change the result.

devnull wrote: »
    From speculation on twitter it seems that the ERG may have issued an ultimatum.

It also seems that the media are briefed and being embargoed since they're all avoiding speculation and showing VT footage rather than discussing what might be coming up.
    BBC are speculating from what I'm seeing.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if she gave a date of her resignation. I mean why not ?nothing would be impossible with this crowd.’

Been delayed til 20.30

Start as you mean to go on, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What time is her statement at does anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Been delayed til 20.30

Start as you mean to go on, etc.
    Every one will be back watching Corrie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Just heard the BBC describe the backstop as a baseball term. I though it was universally acknowledged it was a cricket term? It might seem a bit nitpicky but it's this sort of inaccuracy that is partly to blame for this mess.

• Advertisement

What time is her statement at does anyone know ?
    It was meant to be at 8:15pm but sky news showed footage of Theresa May returning so it’s been delayed obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I think people may have mised a point here, Tusk ruled out a short extension if the deal is not passed by the HoC. He pointedly said nothing about a long extension in such a circumstance. It is open to May to request a long extension if she can't get the deal passed, the purpose of this long extension would be crucial and would probably require a GE or referendum to be promised by the British government for it to be agreed by the EU, which is why May is currently ruleing a long extension out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

All Opposition met with May earlier. Corbyn was there but refused to enter the room when he saw Chuka Umunna was present.....Jesus!

Just heard the BBC describe the backstop as a baseball term. I though it was universally acknowledged it was a cricket term? It might seem a bit nitpicky but it's this sort of inaccuracy that is partly to blame for this mess.
    Backstop is a baseball term. It’s behind the home plate and there is a position of shortstop.

tuxy wrote: »
    All Opposition met with May earlier. Corbyn was there but refused to enter the room when he saw Chuka Umunna was present.....Jesus!
    I know that sounds so bloody petty on Corbyn and he wants to be prime minister of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Can't even turn up to her own press conference on time.

Apparently it's because she overran not listening to the opposition at their meeting. The only Corbyn walked out if.

What a humiliation for the UK.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    I think people may have mised a point here, Tusk ruled out a short extension if the deal is not passed by the HoC. He pointedly said nothing about a long extension in such a circumstance. It is open to May to request a long extension if she can't get the deal passed, the purpose of this long extension would be crucial and would probably require a GE or referendum to be promised by the British government for it to be agreed by the EU, which is why May is currently ruleing a long extension out.

Brexiteers in Mays cabinet ruled out long extension so its not going to happen.
    Nor will revoking A50 without second ref - also not going to happen.

So its vote for WA or else crash out happens. UKs bluff has been called by Tusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

kuro68k wrote: »
    Can't even turn up to her own press conference on time.

Apparently it's because she overran not listening to the opposition at their meeting. The only Corbyn walked out if.

What a humiliation for the UK.

She had a meeting with ERG members after meeting the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Backstop is a baseball term. It’s behind the home plate and there is a position of shortstop.

It's also a cricket term and has been described as such since December 2017. This is literally the first time I've seen the baseball analogy being use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

May has picked a side...and that side is the ERG. I hope she goes and goes soon. She is an absolute disaster of a PM. She has blatantly put the interests of her party ahead of the interests of her country, including my part of the world, Northern Ireland, as it stands now I think we (The UK...remember I'm from NI) will be leaving the EU without a deal in about 170 hours time.

Maybe she will get her deal through via means of blackmail and bribery, but it leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.

None of this should ever have happened. The referendum was so bloody close she should have respected the wishes of the 48% as well defending the "will of the people" and gone for the softest Brexit possible, IE staying in the Customs Union. She could and I think would have w got that through, but no she went for a hard Brexit and it has turned into a disaster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement