Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She might as well have said

'' my way or the highway, **** you San Diego ''

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is it not in the power of the EU to extend it until June and not May?

What about Euro elections?

The new EU parliament doesn't sit til July, so technically its not illegal per say, but no reason the EU will allow her to set another cliff edge on her terms, hence the May deadline from Tusk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

At the risk of this sounding like mocking a genuine condition, she is on the spectrum isn't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nothing new same old same old from her

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Had she obtained agreement from EU for 30 June?

Unilateral dictat otherwise.
    It’s not confirm but Donald tusk sounded very open to it and would help Theresa May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Just listening to LBC and the rhetoric from pro-brexit guests is just tiresome. "Remoaners", "Project Fear", "will of the people". It's like school children.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She speaks like a person who actually has any control or influence over what happens next.

Either deluded or foolhardy, but utterly without credibility.

Oh and hello and goodbye dear citizens would have been nice. Rude does not equal strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For a moment, when she was talking about how the British public were fed up, I thought she was going to announce a general election. Total anti-climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It seems they will only agree if she gets her deal through Parliament. At the moment she can't even get it debated

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s not confirm but Donald tusk sounded very open to it and would help Theresa May.

No he said 23rd May and definitely not 30th June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Thanks. I suppose such an extension would be ok if it doesn't interfere with EP elections.

EU playing a conciliatory game, because as we all know they and us here will be blamed for every bit of fallout anyway if not.

God what a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bilston wrote: »
    May has picked a side...and that side is the ERG. I hope she goes and goes soon. She is an absolute disaster of a PM. She has blatantly put the interests of her party ahead of the interests of her country, including my part of the world, Northern Ireland, as it stands now I think we (The UK...remember I'm from NI) will be leaving the EU without a deal in about 170 hours time.

Maybe she will get her deal through via means of blackmail and bribery, but it leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.

None of this should ever have happened. The referendum was so bloody close she should have respected the wishes of the 48% as well defending the "will of the people" and gone for the softest Brexit possible, IE staying in the Customs Union. She could and I think would have w got that through, but no she went for a hard Brexit and it has turned into a disaster.

So what do we think it is that she is up to if they are in her ear?

CASH? Skeletons in the closet?

You saying it here has just made a light bulb go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

The UK is going to start finding out what life outside the EU is like. The British government makes a decision about what they want, and the EU responds by saying that their suggestion might have some merit and that they will consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bla bla bla

As everyone has been saying all along, she adds nothing new! No give, no compromise, just the same thing over and over and over and over and over..
    The only reason no one can agree a deal is because she won't budge.

She's doing exactly what she said was obviously always going to do. Stalling for time, getting to the crunch time when she believes those who oppose her deal will blink first and it will go through.

All that talk about 'The EU always caves at the last minute' was always looking in the wrong direction. May hasn't been negotiating with the EU for months now, she's trying to get her own party to cave. All this talk of 'keeping no deal on the table' was never a threat against the EU, it was always a threat against her own parliament.

"Either you back my deal, of I will drive this country right over this here cliff"

And it's been done in plain daylight as obvious as the nose on your face

When she won that motion of No confidence called for by the ERG, the rest was inevitable. When she secured the confidence of the house when called by Corbyn, she knew that nothing would get in her way to get to this point. The only question is whether she can cash in on her enormous gamble, if she can win this vote next week. And if she doesn't, will she admit she was bluffing all along, or will she actually drive over that cliff taking the UK, Ireland and a large part of the EU along with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

Once again I'm reminded of Sir Humphrey in Yes, Minister when he said that politicians "need activity, it is their substitute for achievement".

TM held a televised speech to the nation which achieved absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

My ****ing god I'd kill for the ability to say nothing of value and keep my job for as long as she has.

If I could go into work and give a speech like that and then sit at my desk and do **** all I'd be thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Inquitus wrote: »
    No he said 23rd May and definitely not 30th June.

That is what I thought myself, but no matter, if EU can accommodate an extension that does not interfere with EP elections, it might be ok.

Am getting the feeling though that 30 June is unilateral from TM, await further news!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Oh and hello and goodbye dear citizens would have been nice. Rude does not equal strong.

They’re not citizens. They’re subjects

Edit: Apologies - that hasn’t been the case since 1983. I just thought she treats them like subjects rather than citizens ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Business as usual from May, only now she's happy to throw parliament under the bus, while accepting little responsibility for her lack of leadership in building consensus.

Corbyn is an absolute joke of an opposition leader with his antics tonight -- charitably he's playing some grand game of 4D chess, but on the face of it, he's simply a weak, sef-interested, dogmatic coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    My ****ing god I'd kill for the ability to say nothing of value and keep my job for as long as she has.

If I could go into work and give a speech like that and then sit at my desk and do **** all I'd be thrilled.

That's the dream for most of us lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

May's address to the nation was horrendous. She managed to say nothing of substance whilst also blaming anyone and everyone else for her failures. While also fail miserably to make her deal sound appealing. While also trying to shoot down a second referendum without offering any alternative. It's almost impressive how terrible she did.

Her June 30th deadline has not been agreed either, this is a date seemingly plucked from thin air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RickBlaine wrote: »
    Once again I'm reminded of Sir Humphrey in Yes, Minister when he said that politicians "need activity, it is their substitute for achievement".

TM held a televised speech to the nation which achieved absolutely nothing.

I'm reminded of Cromwell's speech dismissing the Rump parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is nothing new here

It's May's deal, no deal or no Brexit.

Rinse and repeat.

Her statement hasn't advanced anything one iota.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

At this stage she is just antagonizing EVERYONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kalyke wrote: »

Is that the headline on the Daily Express tomorrow? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There is nothing new here

It's May's deal, no deal or no Brexit.

Rinse and repeat.

Her statement hasn't advanced anything one iota.

I would say it's actually set things back quite a bit, because she'll now have riled up the entirety of the House of Commons with that press statement. One of the most amazing displays of arrogance from an elected official that I think I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

weemcd wrote: »
    May's address to the nation was horrendous. She managed to say nothing of substance whilst also blaming anyone and everyone else for her failures. While also fail miserably to make her deal sound appealing. While also trying to shoot down a second referendum without offering any alternative. It's almost impressive how terrible she did.

Her June 30th deadline has not been agreed either, this is a date seemingly plucked from thin air.
    not plucked from thin air, specifically chosen to annoy the EU as much as possible, guaranteeing that it will not be agreed to. (New term of the EU parl only sits at the start of July)

She had a choice between a cliff hanger in June, or May, or keeping the one she has now, for next Friday. She chose to only request an extension that she knows will not be granted so that when it comes to next Wednesday or Thursday, the end game will kick off and it will be either 'meaningful vote 3 (or 4 by then) or a choice between crashing out and revoking article 50.

Nobody knows what will happen if the HOC has to vote between either of those options. May has already whipped in favour of Crashing out, but they were non binding votes. it would be different next week when it's all or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kalyke wrote: »
    Well the divide and conquer plan with insults worked great for UK's Brexit negotiations so why not use the same tactic on her own parliament? After all she got a deal from the EU...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement