Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Had she obtained agreement from EU for 30 June?

Unilateral dictat otherwise.
    When King Canute ordered the tide back he knew exactly what he was doing.

He was proving a point.

Looks like May will get her silver lining of getting rid of the Human Rights courts in a few days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I would say it's actually set things back quite a bit, because she'll now have riled up the entirety of the House of Commons with that press statement. One of the most amazing displays of arrogance from an elected official that I think I've ever seen.

A breathtaking miscalculation, I feel, and that seems to be general UK the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Is that the headline on the Daily Express tomorrow? :D
    No, apparently A devastating storm is coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Inquitus wrote: »
    A breathtaking miscalculation, I feel, and that seems to be general UK the reaction.

I agree that it is a miscalculation, but it is a calculated miscalculation

She's doing this on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

May blames MPs for everything.

Needs MPs to pass her deal.

An object lesson in how not to win friends and influence people.

She is a total disaster.

Only Corbyn is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You saying it here has just made a light bulb go off.

A few weeks ago the ERG'ers came out of a meeting with T-May all smiles and saying nothing to the media. I remember thinking 'uh-oh' at the time. I think that we are seeing the outworking of whatever deal was done then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The reality is the odds of the 3rd meaningful vote passing has now moved to Evens- so markets suggest 50% chance of it passing.

So her strategy is working

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dominic Grieve and Kenneth Clarke are the only two Tories that come to mind that actually speak sense on this issue. The Conservative party is on its knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

God the May bot is useless.a terrible waste of time of a speech.just crash out and be done with this mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's May's deal, no deal or no Brexit.

The EU need to say exactly this tomorrow and decline the UKs extension request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I suppose we will all know what this means if the pound tanks in the coming days.

If it doesn't well then, either there will be some sense prevailing or the markets are an illusion!

It's the economy stupid, and I doubt the markets ever thought that Brexit would happen ever.

Terrible for the ordinary peasant if it does, but not so bad for those who will benefit. From Shorting or whatever, and especially if your name is JRM.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The key words of TM speech were among her first
    We will now not leave on 29th March with a deal

Essentially she is saying agree to her deal, or leave with no deal on 29th March.

It's completely irresponsible but that is TM.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BBC Scotland news, May listened but the ignored the opposition parties at the earlier meeting - so no change there. Still wanting others to accept her position rather than compromise.

the other parties wanted a longer extension or revoke

but s they are so small it won't make much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The reality is the odds of the 3rd meaningful vote passing has now moved to Evens- so markets suggest 50% chance of it passing.

If I can get evens for her meaningful vote not passing, ill jump on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Sky News saying Leo wants to avoid no deal "at all costs".

Cut to Leo saying he wants to avoid no deal..................

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The EU need to say exactly this tomorrow and decline the UKs extension request.

I doubt that will happen. EU will remain conciliatory as far as possible. Otherwise there will be heaps of sh!te piled on them for their arrogance in trying to keep the UK within the fold.

The irony of that!

But for a long time anything negative about Brexit was blamed on Remainers and the EU anyway. And it will be forever thus. The debacle of UK Government/Parliament will soon be forgotten, because they have a scapegoat right there in front of them forever.

Sad times. And so unnecessary too. Negotiations? Are you joking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

A last throw of the dice from TM and she is throwing everything at it (including the EU statements).

I think if she fails again, she is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

The EU should be telling her not to bother coming to the summit. What's the point of her being there? She knows she needs to get that WA through before next Friday, why burn two days for nothing.

Plaudits to the SNP pushing for parliament to sit over the weekend, but no doubt that won't happen.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    A last throw of the dice from TM and she is throwing everything at it (including the EU statements).

I think if she fails again, she is gone
    If she fails again, it's no deal Brexit and B-day will be the 29th of March, shortly followed by a general election assuming the next leader fails to retain control.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

She’s a goner one way or the other. She has some survival instinct to be fair to her, but it’s beyond the bounds of reason that someone could come through this sh!tstorm and then carry on as if all was normal afterwards. Gone after next week, or at least made an announcement to the effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I can't understand why. She just insulted the Parliament and suggested the MPs are a bunch of troublemakers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Do posters think that TM, when it comes down to it, will deny parliaments will to revoke A50, just to say she carried Brexit out, in a form of a no deal?

Edit : and then resign

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Do posters think that TM, when it comes down to it, will deny parliaments will to revoke A50, just to say she carried Brexit out, in a form of a no deal?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Strazdas wrote: »
    I can't understand why. She just insulted the Parliament and suggested the MPs are a bunch of troublemakers.

That did give me a laugh. Nail on the head.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yes

Yeah... Dangerous.

Revoking A50 is not Brexit, she appears to be saying she will deliver a Brexit, so I don't expect her to revoke A50.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yes

And then resign, she carried the will of the people...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Why was Tommie Gorman mentioning Sinn Fein abstentionist MPs there on the news. Are there rumblings of them riding in to **** it all up?
    Otherwise, I don't see why he would mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Could be by voting for her deal they will also be voting to get rid of her, so there could be that attraction I’d guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Edit : and then resign

No I think she will stick with the 3 month A50 extension and let the next PM sort out the mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement