Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Shelga wrote: »
    They really need to stop referring to them as 'meaningful' votes. :rolleyes:
    Yes. Does this mean other votes are meaningless? Similarly when they talk about a "People's vote". As opposed to a vote by non-people?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

How are they going to get around John Bercow's ruling that they can't have another vote on the same deal, in order to do exactly that again next week? What fudge will be used? :confused:

If there's enough votes in favour of the WA they'll have enough votes to ride over his ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

RickBlaine wrote: »
    There is talk of propagation which end the current parliament session and start a new one. Controversial because it would require the Queen to offically open the new session which the palace probably wouldn't like.

It is basically switching parliament off and back on again.
    The flowchart produced by Jon Worth had that as an unlikely option (too risky). Although everyone seems to be making things up as they go along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Hurrache wrote: »
    If there's enough votes in favour of the WA they'll have enough votes to ride over his ruling.

But how will they know there are enough votes in favour of the WA unless they, y'know, actually hold the vote?? :confused:

The UK continues to eat itself. 9 days to go.

But how will they know there are enough votes in favour of the WA unless they, y'know, actually hold the vote?? :confused:

The UK continues to eat itself. 9 days to go.

Another conundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Headshot wrote: »
    Nolan Live on BBC One @ 10:35 tonight, should be an interesting watch

At this stage my sympathy for many/most voters in NI is practically zero.

They vote for either DUP who want a no deal crash out which potentially could destroy their economy or sinn fein who are happy to sit on the sidelines in the HoC, Dail and Stormont.

And thats not mentioning the Stormont suspension.

And yet they will keep voting for these parties who serve them so badly. Stockholm Syndrome at its finest!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

They really need to stop referring to them as 'meaningful' votes. :rolleyes:
    I kind of like it. It suggests that every other vote they take is meaningless.

devnull wrote: »
    Labour MP has now claimed that Theresa May knows there have been death threats issued against MPs and that the speech tonight is unlikely to help with this situation.

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1108480028533293057

Seems a few are thinking along the same lines
    https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1108483900970594304?s=19

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1108501352311869441?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

#MayMustGo is now trending. Her speech backfiring so spectacularly would be funny if it weren't so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seems a few are thinking along the same lines
    https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1108483900970594304?s=19

Delegitimise, vilify and sideline Parliament. Stage one of establishing a dictatorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

leaving with a no-deal is looking more likely now!

Conservative Peter Bone tells PM she has a choice: "Honour" the wishes of the British people by allowing the UK to leave the EU next week, or "betray" them by delaying #Brexit - warning "history will judge you at this moment"
    -
    Macron will veto *any* delay to Brexit, according to this French media report. https://t.co/LdsKDLWM6E https://t.co/gUwwWkm98S

Is there even an appetite amongst the EU27 for the UK to hold another referendum? Is it another thing where Remainers are doing the Brexiters’ thing of ploughing ahead with lobbying for something, unaware of whether the EU will even be open to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Am I right in thinking the extension to A50 until June is to get a MV3 passed next week? Can it get passed in HOC if motion doesn't change? Will UK contest European elections if still in EU past May? :confused:

There's so much anger out there after her speech, what a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

At this stage my sympathy for many/most voters in NI is practically zero.

They vote for either DUP who want a no deal crash out which potentially could destroy their economy or sinn fein who are happy to sit on the sidelines in the HoC, Dail and Stormont.

And thats not mentioning the Stormont suspension.

And yet they will keep voting for these parties who serve them so badly. Stockholm Syndrome at its finest!

I think we will cope without your sympathy ToBeFrank

I'm not sure we will cope with a no deal Brexit, which is much more concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good auld Suzanne Evans on Newsnight with her lies and BS. it's so ****ing tiring that there's never anyone there to channel leavers on their BS

I honestly think they live in their old world of magic and unicorns

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well it angered me because on the one hand she talks about uniting the country. On the other hand she basically gave two fingers to anyone who voted Remain.

This is the problem with her Premiership, from the start she has ignored 48% of the population. How on earth could she ever find a consensus with that sort of attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

I'm honestly amazed she came out and gave that speech, really can't see how she thought it was a good idea. Her advisers are sabotaging her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Good auld Suzanne Evans on Newsnight with her lies and BS. it's so ****ing tiring that there's never anyone there to channel leavers on their BS

That the person who said the the border was a red herring

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Actually first time I’ve had a laugh about this whole thing all day, knew before she went to the board that she was going to go straight for the No Deal choice. She just basically ignored everything else!

Surprised at Anand not giving the second ref much traction. Very clued in but I thought that’s a miscalculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Quite extraordinary that she was allowed to say, 'that things would carry on as normal on the border after a hard Brexit' without anyone in that studio challenging her.

Kirsty Wark: "What will happen with the border in Ireland?"

Suzanne Evans: "Nothing, that's a red herring, we will just carry on as we are" *shrugs*

Kirsty Wark: moves on to next item

Staggeringly awful 'journalism' from the BBC, as usual. Lather rinse repeat.

Kirsty Wark: "What will happen with the border in Ireland?"

Suzanne Evans: "Nothing, that's a red herring, we will just carry on as we are" *shrugs*

Kirsty Wark: moves on to next item

Staggeringly awful 'journalism' from the BBC, as usual. Lather rinse repeat.

But that's the BBC these days, it's fallen so much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

But that's the BBC these days, it's fallen so much

It really has. Chasing Bercow down the street yesterday asking him if he's trying to ruin Brexit was also pretty tabloidy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

More storms in a teacup , a week is long time in politics, and there's just over a week to go.

Sadly too few MP's have had the courage of their convictions, other wise it would be popcorn time. Getting her deal through , not bloody likely now. But will she continue to actively go against the will of parliament to force her vision against the threat of anarchy ?
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/20/acting-like-trump-theresa-may-sparks-mps-brexit-fury
    Theresa May is facing a furious backlash from her own backbenchers and calls for her resignation after she blamed squabbling MPs for delaying Brexit

Tory sources said David Evennett MP had told May that if she did not resolve the crisis “your time will have come to an end” and fellow MP Nigel Evans also signalled he believed she should step down.

Several MPs, including Stephen McPartland and Ben Bradley, said the prime minister’s request to delay article 50 had made it actively more difficult for them to back her deal at the next vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is no plans to change the rules of parliament or override him. The idea is that the European Council will endorse the "Strasbourg Agreement" tomorrow, which will constitute a change in the proposition, therefore there will be no impediment to bringing the bill before parliament again. Now this excuse is paper thin and is really only cover for Bercow, who will be under enormous pressure to allow the vote.

The vote will definitely go ahead if there is a feeling that it will be close.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It really has. Chasing Bercow down the street yesterday asking him if he's trying to ruin Brexit was also pretty tabloidy.

Ya it was like something you see in TMZ in America

Awful gutter of journalism at it's best

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sky News has gone from tabloid rubbish to a fine news channel in the last few years in my opinion.

Use to always go for BBC News first, not anymore. BBC standards have fallen.

5 years a go it would have been a Sky News journo chasing him down the street, now it's the BBC that engages in that.

Sigh that Nolan show was crap, barely any time to Brexit

• Advertisement

There is no plans to change the rules of parliament or override him. The idea is that the European Council will endorse the "Strasbourg Agreement" tomorrow, which will constitute a change in the proposition, therefore there will be no impediment to bringing the bill before parliament again. Now this excuse is paper thin and is really only cover for Bercow, who will be under enormous pressure to allow the vote.

The vote will definitely go ahead if there is a feeling that it will be close.

Does the Strasbourg Agreement mean Tusk saying an extension is conditional on the WA vote passing?

I really don’t know how I would vote if I was an MP. This is complete blackmail by Theresa May now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement