Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,596 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bercow is no fool. He would have known not selecting the amendment ruling out a 2nd ref would be met with criticism and would have been well prepared to defend his decision.

He's playing senior hurling now given the people behind the proposed amendment.

It's interesting reading on Twitter. All key commentators, Ian Dunt, Laura Keunnesberg etc are just like the rest of us. Looking on in bewilderment without any sense of what the outcome is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He's playing senior hurling now given the people behind the proposed amendment.

It's interesting reading on Twitter. All key commentators, Ian Dunt, Laura Keunnesberg etc are just like the rest of us. Looking on in bewilderment without any sense of what the outcome is going to be.

In fairness Laura K hasnt exactly been on the ball with her reporting and more just has been regurgitating whatever the ERG are talking to her about

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Have stopped watching BBC News, mainly Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I quite enjoyed the german reporter who was on politics live today. Said the german public treated brexit as pure entertainment and that bercow was a huge star, like its all taking place in a circus top. Then with beautiful Germanic efficiency, she resoundingly put Andrew neil back in his box when he came in with a cheap shot about the german economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Bercow is no fool. He would have known not selecting the amendment ruling out a 2nd ref would be met with criticism and would have been well prepared to defend his decision.

He's a smart man to be fair the delay to A50 pending a 2nd referendum is an obvious way foward and also one the EU would agree an extention to. Ruling out a 2nd vote isnt a way foward and its only being driven by those afraid of the people. They can still vote against the ammendment but I think theyre afraid that it will pass because its a way out and it isolates the DUP and ERG trolls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Apparently the Peoples Vote campaign has said that they don't support the amendment that would call for a second referendum because it's not the right time?!?

When is the right time? There are only 8 more days of parliament doing anything to make anything happen before we push ourselves off the cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

robinph wrote: »
    Apparently the Peoples Vote campaign has said that they don't support the amendment that would call for a second referendum because it's not the right time?!?

When is the right time? There are only 8 more days of parliament doing anything to make anything happen before we push ourselves off the cliff.

There's another amendment planned for the future. Basically it will say that the house approves this deal (whichever deal it is) only if the deal is put to a second referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Bercow in theory could push back on May bringing the same deal for a vote again?

Probably won’t happen but it’s intersting to consider

https://news.sky.com/story/an-ancient-rule-means-bercow-could-take-drastic-action-on-brexit-11664555

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Disaster allegedly averted by prudent action from Mr. Bercow:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1106166819671494657?s=09

The EU will need justification to extend A50. Ruling out a second referendum would contradict yesterday's motion.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Labour leadership allowing free vote on 2nd ref. Don't want MPs in Leave majority constituencies breaking away and supporting TM's deal.

475476.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Labour to abstain in vote on 2nd ref.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why? That's a disastrous idea.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Now the proponents of a second vote are chickening out of voting for a motion to back a people’s vote.

Is this peak Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Shelga wrote: »
    Now the proponents of a second vote are chickening out of voting for a motion to back a people’s vote.

Is this peak Brexit?
    The giant foot is about to squish the lot of em. Shortly followed by the announcement "and now for something completely different! "

If only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Labour MPs vulnerable in Leave constituencies.

And according to the Guardian the MPs are going to be whipped to abstain.

What an absolute shambles.

If MPs just voted according to their own beliefs and moral values, and not according to the political impact of everything, the situation would be a lot clearer.

Of course, it would have meant May admitting long ago that Brexit is a terrible idea for the UK, in any form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Its their ****ing countries economic future at stake here. They are elected to determine the best interests of their constituents. If they believe in a 2nd referendum, have the balls to vote for it and then explain that to their constituents.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I can't stand the Tory party. I'm an Irishman through and through but even I'm sickened by their propensity to put party before country. Saying that, Labour have been completely disastrous during Brexit. The party line on Brexit is non-existent an seems to be a mishmash of Euro-scepticism and pro-Europe ideologies.

And according to the Guardian the MPs are going to be whipped to abstain.

What an absolute shambles.

I thought they'd get a free vote so that those in Leave areas could vote it down while those in cities and Remain areas could vote for it.

Pathetic form from the leadership.

Order of this evenings votes. The one at 1715 has the best chance of passing according to the Guardian.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1106200567100174337

• Advertisement

Its their ****ing countries economic future at stake here. They are elected to determine the best interests of their constituents. If they believe in a 2nd referendum, have the balls to vote for it and then explain that to their constituents.

Couldn’t agree more. Why is it so difficult for MPs to say: “I can’t in good conscience vote for No Deal, or for May’s deal- both of which I strongly believe will leave this constituency worse off. As the government has been unable to implement a workable Brexit plan, I believe my only choice is to vote for a second referendum. If you still want Brexit, this allows you to vote for it. If you choose not to vote for me at the next General Election because of this, I ask you to consider the position I am in. However, I believe losing my seat is worth it to uphold my values.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So as far as I can make out the thinking seems to be keeping tonights vote as simple as possible so that it is only asking for an extension, but not for any specific purpose, so that as many people as possible support it.

Then wait 30 seconds for Tusk/ Barnier to tweet "WFT do you want an extension for you clowns?".

Then once parliament have backed themselves into needing to justify the extension pull the idea of having a referendum out of the hat as if they only just thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I thought they'd get a free vote so that those in Leave areas could vote it down while those in cities and Remain areas could vote for it.

Pathetic form from the leadership.

Except it's too early. A defeat for the second referendum now after Labour backing it might make it harder to win the eventual vote on it. Labour aren't in power and can't behave like May, simply bringing the same vote back again and again.

When even Alistair Campbell is saying that this is not yet the time for a vote on the 2nd ref, then that should give you a clue of the lie of the land.

The first step is get a vote for a long delay. The EU will probably then ask for a 2nd ref in order to furnish the same. That's when the vote can be won.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

robinph wrote: »
    So as far as I can make out the thinking seems to be keeping tonights vote as simple as possible so that it is only asking for an extension, but not for any specific purpose, so that as many people as possible support it.

Then wait 30 seconds for Tusk/ Barnier to tweet "WFT do you want an extension for you clowns?".

Then once parliament have backed themselves into needing to justify the extension pull the idea of having a referendum out of the hat as if they only just thought of it.

Beat me to the punch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

At this stage I am not that sure for Ireland`s skge a 2nd referendum is great idea.
    It would be a toss of a coin, whereas at least with TM`s deal we know where we stand.
    I may be totally off the mark, but after the resounding defeat of the Malthouse amendment last night both the ERG and DUP are weakened and are looking at the possibility of no Brexit in the foreseeable future. The Vienna convention on the backstop opt-out is a fallacy, but I would not be overly surprised, being the charlatans they are, they purposely misread it and back TM`s deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

that's appalling

what an incoherent shambles Labour are

charlie14 wrote: »
    At this stage I am not that sure for Ireland`s skge a 2nd referendum is great idea.
    It would be a toss of a coin, whereas at least with TM`s deal we know where we stand.

But would at least be a toss of the coin with a decision at the end of it, assuming they don't have one of the options being lets go back to Brussels and re-negotiate.

It's a disaster either way as far as I'm concerned if it's no deal or Mays deal, but if the country knowingly opts for one of those over remain then so be it and I'll just have to prepare the escape pods. Can you inherit nationality from your children? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,850 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

charlie14 wrote: »
    I may be totally off the mark, but after the resounding defeat of the Malthouse amendment last night both the ERG and DUP are weakened and are looking at the possibility of no Brexit in the foreseeable future. The Vienna convention on the backstop opt-out is a fallacy, but I would not be overly surprised, being the charlatans they are, they purposely misread it and back TM`s deal.

It is the risk/reward equation again.

IF a second referendum leads to the cancellation of Brexit, then a referendum is a good thing for Ireland.

It also depends on the question asked. Hard Brexit/No Brexit would be hugely risky for Ireland and May's deal would be better while May's Deal/No Brexit would be a win/win for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

To be fair to Labour, People's Vote are advising against that amendment saying today is just about getting an extension and not specifically for a 2nd ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

To my mind the idea that there is going to an extension granted before March29th to stop a no deal jump off the cliff exit is far from a sure thing. The biggest problem being what on earth do they want. It is insane that we are here on March 14th and we still do not have an answer to that question but that is the reality. But then again this whole situation is insanity in of itself really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement