Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

theguzman wrote: »
    It is playing out perfectly, the Conservatives have done what they always intended, they have allowed the EU to back them into a corner and can now blame the EU for a hard Brexit and the small amount of short term pain it will cause. I just hope Salvini and the Visegrad group rides to the Rescue and veteos any extension. A hard Brexit will be a great day for Europe and it will show the EU that they will be defeated and national Sovereignty is far more important than German rule.

Ah, you're back :) Can you define exactly what short term pain is?

Strangely enough, there been very little blaming of the EU over the past few weeks in the UK media, or from UK politicians. Notably May laid into MPs and not the EU last night for trying to frustrate the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It is playing out perfectly, the Conservatives have done what they always intended, they have allowed the EU to back them into a corner and can now blame the EU for a hard Brexit and the small amount of short term pain it will cause. I just hope Salvini and the Visegrad group rides to the Rescue and veteos any extension. A hard Brexit will be a great day for Europe and it will show the EU that they will be defeated and national Sovereignty is far more important than German rule.

Yep its been a masterclass of negotiation from Theresa May and her cabinet, not sure I can think of a single thing they could have done better! It's a week and a day before the 29th March and everything is under control, no need to go to Brussels and beg for an extension or anything.

Don't dump memes please.

D2HjbSaWsAAvFPT.png

D2HjkKwW0AAsKp7.png[/center]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I can Guarantee that the EU will find time to screw us over in the whole thing, Leo will take it and present it to the people as some sort of Victory like the beta-grade leader he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I can Guarantee that the EU will find time to screw us over in the whole thing, Leo will take it and present it to the people as some sort of Victory like the beta-grade leader he is.
    You've been peddling this line for ever. Must be getting a bit frustrating for you.

By the way, is there a random caps lock function on your device?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I get the impression May is finished. She has seemingly lost the support of her chief whip now.

If and when she loses the vote next week (it she even gets a vote) then I think she will have to go.

I suppose we have to wait and see what the EU have to say tonight, but the suspicion is that an unconditional extensionsion would be there to give time for a new PM to get their s*** together. God knows who that would be though.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    I get the impression May is finished. She has seemingly lost the support of her chief whip now.

If and when she loses the vote next week (it she even gets a vote) then I think she will have to go.

I suppose we have to wait and see what the EU have to say tonight, but the suspicion is that an unconditional extensionsion would be there to give time for a new PM to get their s*** together. God knows who that would be though.
    It's quite extraordinary how the political system has disintegrated so quickly. It's funny that every time I see Dominic Raab's grinning face, I'm reminded of Rik Mayall in the original House of Cards. And how that title fits so well now. I really must watch that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

bilston wrote: »

For the EU i think it's important that the UK are out before May 23rd.
    It would be wrong for the UK to take up seats in a new session when they are exiting.

Insofar as May's tenure, i think she will stay. She's been very useful to pin the blame on and i doubt there are many Tories that will come to the front to take that kick.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Don't know if anyone has seen it, but Daniel Hannan's article for the Telegraph is probably the most desperate work of fiction about our country in relation to Brexit yet as he tries to rewrite history to suit his agenda.

He goes on to talk about how Bertie Ahern was forced out because of his conduct in relation to the Lisbon Treaty referendum and that Brian Cowen also carried this on which led to the destruction of both former Taoisigh and the Fianna Fail who lost their first election since 1932.

Naturally, Bertie's dodgy dealings, the IMF, the property developers, Anglo Irish Bank, Cowen's limitations and all of the serious issues are ignored, because facts won't make a good Brexit argument. Instead the misguided fabricated misinformation theory is presented as an argument for Brexit.

Sadly the Brexiteers and many people seem to actually believe that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not the first person to put this forward as the reason for the meeting running over.
    [url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You've been peddling this line for ever. Must be getting a bit frustrating for you.

By the way, is there a random caps lock function on your device?

I just think Ireland will get badly effected in all this and Leo Varadkar should be showing Solidarity with the Brexiteer position and not with the EU. The same EU who forced Ireland to nationalised billions of Euro in private German debt and turn it into Irish Sovereign debt, the UK instead of pummelling the Irish immediately came to our aide with over £8bn in loads and emergency assistance. The EU is no friend to Ireland and has benefited enormously from the plunder of our national fisheries.

My caps lock is fine I think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I just think Ireland will get badly effected in all this and Leo Varadkar should be showing Solidarity with the Brexiteer position and not with the EU. The same EU who forced Ireland to nationalised billions of Euro in private German debt and turn it into Irish Sovereign debt, the UK instead of pummelling the Irish immediately came to our aide with over £8bn in loads and emergency assistance. The EU is no friend to Ireland and has benefited enormously from the plunder of our national fisheries.

Ah right so you have an axe to grind with the EU- got it!

the UK instead of pummelling the Irish immediately came to our aide with over £8bn in loads and emergency assistance.

Erm, there's something you should know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭RickBlaine

I would imagine the EU leaders are acting under the assumption that it is very likely May won't be PM for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not the first person to put this forward as the reason for the meeting running over.
    [url]
    EU official says that when leaders asked May what she was going to do if her deal was voted down, she would only reply that she was following her 'Plan A' of getting it through. It was then they decided 'she didn't have a plan so they needed to come up with one for her'.

That's Faisal Islam's analysis of the situation on Sky just now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

1,552,836 and counting

We still have to consider where the customs border is actually going to be placed in the event of a no deal,
    1 in the Irish sea
    2 across the north of Ireland
    3 South of the British isles.

I wouldn't discount any of these options.

devnull wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has seen it, but Daniel Hannan's article for the Telegraph is probably the most desperate work of fiction about our country in relation to Brexit yet as he tries to rewrite history to suit his agenda.

He goes on to talk about how Bertie Ahern was forced out because of his conduct in relation to the Lisbon Treaty referendum and that Brian Cowen also carried this on which led to the destruction of both former Taoisigh and the Fianna Fail who lost their first election since 1932.

Naturally, Bertie's dodgy dealings, the IMF, the property developers, Anglo Irish Bank, Cowen's limitations and all of the serious issues are ignored, because facts won't make a good Brexit argument. Instead the misguided fabricated misinformation theory is presented as an argument for Brexit.

Sadly the Brexiteers and many people seem to actually believe that crap.
    You're a bit late to the party. He actually trended on Twitter because of it under the hashtag #HannanIrishHistory :). People tweeting things like the ambulance siren was invented in Nenagh and other witticisms. It got to the news reports it was so viral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Fairly generous: UK To Leave EU With 'No Brexit Deal' Before 1st April 2019 : Odds: 3/1

UsedToWait wrote: »
    That's Faisal Islam's analysis of the situation on Sky just now also.

And yet Laura Kuenssberg at the BBC saying they're keeping with the EU tradition of taking a long time to make a decision about something.

We still have to consider where the customs border is actually going to be placed in the event of a no deal,
    1 in the Irish sea

There is no choice.

• Advertisement

No point trying your schtick on me. I've seen it before. You're capitalisng random words for no reason. Like solidarity above.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

And yet Laura Kuenssberg at the BBC saying they're keeping with the EU tradition of taking a long time to make a decision about something.

If you've learnt anything over the last few months, you'd have learnt that the BBC essentially has become state TV sucking up to the government line and TM and is incapable of reporting properly on Brexit.

Also, it's a bit ironic that she thinks the EU are taking a long time to make a decision when they are doing it over the course of a day, when the UK has spent 1000 of them to get pretty much nowhere.

You're a bit late to the party. He actually trended on Twitter because of it under the hashtag #HannanIrishHistory :). People tweeting things like the ambulance siren was invented in Nenagh and other witticisms. It got to the news reports it was so viral.

This was my favorite
    https://twitter.com/FCTwenteBenson/status/1108105537227509760?s=19

The same Laura that has in her Twitter profile that tweet length is 240 characters. That Laura?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

1 in the Irish sea

I and the vast majority of the electorate of the Republic would discount option 3.

The same Laura that has in her Twitter profile that tweet length is 240 characters. That Laura?

The one and only.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes. It seems very clear and logical that Macron, who is trying his best to quell French Euroscepticism, would promote shafting a fellow EU country in order to throw a bone to a country that's leaving who are making little effort to help anyone, including themselves.

This stuff is getting beyond tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I and the vast majority of the electorate of the Republic would discount option 3.

Would be madness- to cut ourselves off from our largest marketplace and Union we are an integral part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

https://www.joe.ie/news/ireland-losses-brexit-662740

Is this a scare mongering article or is this potentially gonna happen? I can’t keep up with this stufff it’s gone on so long now lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The border problems here will be dwarfed by those on either side of the English Channel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement