Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

GBP holding..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

road_high wrote: »
    It’s pre arranged who and what will be asked.

Exactly, and if the journo goes rogue on a question then they wont get to ask another one for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

road_high wrote: »
    No. As long as you can get one up on “them uns “ that’s all that matters!
    Such is the infantile state of NI. It’s not a real economy in any normal sense so economic sanity is way down the priority list

It's bloody bonkers though. I mean I know people complain about our lot in the south, but we aren't as bad as the crowd up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

theguzman wrote: »
    I have been saying it for a long time but a crash out is inevitable and they want this but also want to blame the EU for the short term disruption it will cause. No Deal here we come. A hard Brexit will be the only acceptable outcome. Arlene Foster has delivered for the DUP and the Brexiteers won the referendum and anything else other than a hard Brexit would be ant-democratic.

What is this disruption you talk of. You've mentioned pain before too. Can you define clearly what you mean by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You're a bit late to the party. He actually trended on Twitter because of it under the hashtag #HannanIrishHistory :). People tweeting things like the ambulance siren was invented in Nenagh and other witticisms. It got to the news reports it was so viral.

My favourite one was how Michael Collins faked his own death in an insurance scam and fled to the US, where he later piloted the Apollo mission to the moon, and his son Phil subsequently wrote the song "In the Air Tonight" as a tribute to him. Genius ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

May made her bed. But she is banging a disastrous drum. Hope she is taking some propranolol to get her through this. That is just a drug to slow the heartrate and anxiety down. Used by lots of people especially those in the public eye/drama/opera etc.

I do not feel one bit sorry for her at all. But I do admire her tenacity. That is all.

She is talking rubbish at the press conference. Sorry but sounds rattled. She is playing to the ERG and nothing else really IMO. The only answer to this is to revoke A50 or get her deal through.

Will of the people ****e again.

That's been her mistake from day 1. If she'd spent less time pandering to the ERG and the DUP and more time trying to reach out across parliament with indicative votes and taking other points on board to try to build a deal that could command a majority in the HoC, she probably wouldn't be in this mess. I don't have an ounce of sympathy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

May must surely know her MV3 deal has next to no chance of getting through given that the best chance it had was the threat of a No Deal crash out on March 29th - which has now been taken out of the equation for the time being.

She therefore has to go through the indignity of looking like a laughing stock all over again. Perhaps it will be defeated by an even bigger margin than the first time as a way for all sides to tell her to jog on.

Is it possible she tries to pull the vote from happening next week and postpones it to just before April 12th? I note the text says:
    If the Withdrawal Agreement is not approved by the House of Commons next week, the European Council agrees to an extension until 12 April 2019 and expects the United Kingdom to indicate a way forward before this date for consideration by the European Council.

So if she were to pull the vote next week then the extension to the 12th happens anyway, right?

Honestly I think she'd be mad to try getting it through next week as she'll likely face a drubbing. Maybe she's immune to the scorn and contempt at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

theguzman wrote: »
    I have been saying it for a long time but a crash out is inevitable and they want this but also want to blame the EU for the short term disruption it will cause. No Deal here we come. A hard Brexit will be the only acceptable outcome. Arlene Foster has delivered for the DUP and the Brexiteers won the referendum and anything else other than a hard Brexit would be ant-democratic.

There will be no crash out at all. No one wants or needs that apart from a few Farage/R Mogg/Francois supporters.

We really do have to give a voice to those other than that cohort. Things change, there is much more information out there for the implications of Hard Brexit today than there was back in 2016, which was a kick in the teeth to the powers that be, without any explanation as to what it would mean for those other than those who will benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

MikeSoys wrote: »
    GBP holding..

There's unlikely to be any major shifts unless a no deal scenario emerges and right now the EU has basically strung this whole thing out by setting out a clear plan on what Britain must do to avoid a no deal. If they crash its by choice now.

Exactly, and if the journo goes rogue on a question then they wont get to ask another one for a long long time.

Sounds Trumpesque to me! Wonder why I am surprised though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That's been her mistake from day 1. If she'd spent less time pandering to the ERG and the DUP and more time trying to reach out across parliament with indicative votes and taking other points on board to try to build a deal that could command a majority in the HoC, she probably wouldn't be in this mess. I don't have an ounce of sympathy for her.

She cares more about her party than her own country. She's suppose to be a leader for all rather than a leader for just a small minority.

It's disgraceful behaviour by a public servant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Question Time gone into depth about N. Ireland politics regarding the Stormont Assembly

I dare say 90% of Britain had switched off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sky news saying can scrub out March 29th as leaving date and the new date is April 12th. Does that new date not require a change in legislation thus a vote in the house of commons or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Seems to be a lot of English accents in this BBC QT audience for a show in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

There will be no crash out at all. No one wants or needs that apart from a few Farage/R Mogg/Francois supporters.

We really do have to give a voice to those other than that cohort. Things change, there is much more information out there for the implications of Hard Brexit today than there was back in 2016, which was a kick in the teeth to the powers that be, without any explanation as to what it would mean for those other than those who will benefit.

Sky news reporting EU has blinked because they just realised May was serious about crashing out. ERG are going to love this.

Turns out we do need them more than they need us.

Big mistake.

Headshot wrote: »
    He cares more about her party than her own country. She's suppose to be a leader for all rather than a leader for just a small minority.

It really is unbelievable that the HoC has knocked down the WA, but simultaneously do NOT want a no deal.

Surely that is totally contradictory?

What the heck DO they want is what everyone is asking, but there is no response is there?

Headshot wrote: »
    He cares more about her party than her own country. She's suppose to be a leader for all rather than a leader for just a small minority.

She keeps going on about respecting the democratic process, yet at the same time, she's shown absolutely zero interest in engaging with members of parliament that were elected to represent their constituents.

I admire her tenacity a lot, but outside of that, I think she's behaved extremely poorly and has brought the majority of this on herself. You could also say it goes back to when she called that snap election to try to get a huge majority in the Commons, which backfired badly. The whole thing has been a shambles, and as the PM she should be carrying the can for it, not the elected MPs in the Commons.

Personally, I think that if the Commons rejects her deal again, that'll be the beginning of the end of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is no HOC alternative response because Govn't (Leadsom) controls the business of the House.
    We may now begin to get indicitive votes, only because leaders of other countries insisted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

dresden8 wrote: »
    I remember when the EU said "This is the deal, no changes"

Now they have invited her to come back with something new.

Err....hello? Have they never met the Brits?

My interpretation is different.

If she ratifies the WA next week then the UK has until May to get the necessary legislation in place.

If not, then she only gets until 12th April for them to decide to either revoke or crash out.

I don't anticipate any changes to the WA.

Only change I see to the above is if she doesn't ratify the WA next week, gets until April 12th and then ratifies it on April 11th. In which case the final date can be pushed back a bit, but the difference is that they will have to elect MEPs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

Sky news reporting EU has blinked because they just realised May was serious about crashing out. ERG are going to love this.

Big mistake.

The EU have undermined May's tactic for her deal or no deal. They have added another option to extend with alternative plans. No matter what happens from here, the EU can say that they tried their best and the decision is all on the UK side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Big mistake.

I don't think so. They're bigging her up to help get the WA across the line. It's all about massaging Tory elitists' egos so they think they're 'winning'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Am I wrong in thinking that even if a vote of no confidence in the government passes there is then 10 days to try and form a new government? But that the Conservatives can't actually oust TM as leader due to their own no confidence vote so any government they propose would still involve her?

Big mistake.

Someone somewhere has to bring this to a head. EU will prevail. I hope so because if UK do I will be a bit cross to be honest!

I have no worries about a deal being good for everyone, but I honestly would despair of the hubris of UK now, god help us.

Panrich wrote: »
    The EU have undermined May's tactic for her deal or no deal. They have added another option to extend with alternative plans. No matter what happens from here, the EU can say that they tried their best and the decision is all on the UK side.

Daily Mail headline says same.

Victory for May.

Big mistake.

I dont see it like that at all, I think the EU realise that May's deal is a non-runner in the HoC and they're angling it towards a long extension and the potential ending of Brexit altogether.

I think this is a win for the EU, rather than for May - May seems quite happy with a No Deal, which is now effectively off the table due to tonight's development.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Panrich wrote: »

Yup I think the EU played a blinder here

They cannot be blamed for a no deal brexit and it's all in the UK's lap if they want a deal or not

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Daily Mail headline says same.

Victory for May.

If the Mail are calling it a victory, it was a worse humiliation than we thought.

Someone somewhere has to bring this to a head. EU will prevail. I hope so because if UK do I will be a bit cross to be honest!

I have no worries about a deal being good for everyone, but I honestly would despair of the hubris of UK now, god help us.

It was going to be brought to a head this week.

EU have backed down.

You can't negotiate with perfidious Albion.

You win or you lose.

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The guy on Sky news saying the EU have kicked the can down the road again.
    What is he talking about, they have essentially been given 2 weeks. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Bottom line now is neither eu or UK will allow no deal to ever go through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement