Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sh*te your co-workers say

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    My boss says "with that being said" a lot.
    I keep tally. 9 is the record in a 30 minute call.

I've got a 'in terms of' tally going here every meeting - ridiculous volumes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Vis-a-vis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

optogirl wrote: »
    I've got a 'in terms of' tally going here every meeting - ridiculous volumes

"Going forward" is a fav where i work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Revert back or reply back - morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

"touch base"

"can you chase this up"- no go **** yourself

Everyone loves a bit of bull**** bingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

"we need to make sure we move this forward; let's touch base next week"
    means
    "I'm going to check on you in a week and you'd better get it done by then on else you lazy incompetent ahole"
    and 9/19 the one saying it it's just as lazy and incompetent so f all will get done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I remember going to an offsite years ago for a tech company I worked for, and in fairness it was a nice hotel and we had a nice breakfast and lunch and then in the afternoon we did paintballing, but the f*cking meeting in the morning was utter hell.

Just a concoction of buzzwords, MOVING FORWARD, and TOUCHING BASE was used a lot that day - thank f*ck I didn't need to present.

One of the slides I clearly remember was this :

49425813032_849e166d26_o.jpg

F*CK OFF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I've worked with a few crazies in various offices throughout the years. One 'lady' who comes to mind, used to seat opposite me and was really defensive and passive agressive about anything and everything. She was actually the junior grade in the office but the overall boss was scared of her and he couldn't handle confrontation so I knew for any easy life to ignore most of her cr#p and just be pleasant when necessary. She would slam the phone down, call customers c##nts, say she is going to get a gun and shoot someone else in a real angry manner.

She would never pass messages to you when you were out. Give out if she was not credited on a report that you prepared even though she wanted no role in it from the outset. She would have standing arguments with other women about the best method of cleaning windows, full blown arguments with the ex on the phone (he was lucky he broke free). I had zero in common with her. I could go on and on..the day I got promoted from that office was one of the happiest days of my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

full blown arguments with the ex on the phone (he was lucky he broke free).

Not free enough

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

On hearing of the passing of Terry Jones.

"Who is Terry Jones?"

"You know Monty Python? He was in The Life of Brian."

"Never heard of him before. I didn't like TLOB"

"Really? I thought it was great. If you're into that sort of comedy I suppose"

"I didn't watch it all, only 10 minutes of it. It made fun of religion."

I'll admit I never heard of the guy before yesterday and still wouldn't be able to pick him out of a line-up.

The past few weeks, my superior and others at this rank have been emphasizing the importance of the "new strategy" and how it's "challenging to turn our back on the old mode and thinking" and everything is questioned as being "is it in line with the new strategy". I have no idea what the strategy is. I have no idea what the old strategy is. I think I'm better off. I nod the head and get on with my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Our new strategy is "We have absolutely no money for anything"

Really strange method for building anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I do remember a co worker who's every second word was basically.
    Very annoying.
    I honestly have so many in new job, everyone refers to a PowerPoint as a "deck" no idea why, oh "hitting the ground running" and "burning platform"..bunch of tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

gmisk wrote: »
    Very annoying.
    I honestly have so many in new job, everyone refers to a PowerPoint as a "deck" no idea why, oh "hitting the ground running" and "burning platform"..bunch of tossers

I have a co worker currently who constantly says "like ya know". She could use it 3 times in a sentence. Incredibly annoying - epsecially when you find yourself saying back.

In terms of irritating things people say theres a woman who appends the phrase "You know that sort of way" to practically every sentence she says. Especially if she is explaining something. I must hear "You know that sort of way" 50-60 times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

In terms of irritating things people say theres a woman who appends the phrase "You know that sort of way" to practically every sentence she says. Especially if she is explaining something. I must hear "You know that sort of way" 50-60 times a day.

People who say ‘in terms of’ ..

It’s actually an epidemic.
    People say it so fu*kin much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

'please ensure'

This idiot of a woman I work with who can barely spell her own name, thinking she was all high and mighty one day when she responded to me trying to tell me what to do.

'please ensure you check all systems next time'

Overheard her saying 'I love saying please ensure to people'

She would often correct me on things that were actually her mistake :V

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I work with a bloke that shoehorns the word fundamentally in to every sentence even out of context. Does nothing but make him look like a tit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

I work with a bloke that shoehorns the word fundamentally.........

In this thread, that is the definition of irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

When someone comes up with a new saying and it catches on within hours.
    The other morning I heard a manager say "banging the drums" in reference to a project that was progressing and was getting attention.

That day.. That day I heard the term spouted 3 more times by 3 different people referring to their individual projects.

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

gmisk wrote: »
    Very annoying.

I had to Google burning platform:
    "In business, burning platform is a term used to describe the process of helping people see the dire consequences of not changing."

In business... as if it's a technical enough field to need its own terminology :/

• Advertisement

The learning curve is steep for me on this thread....

I’m basing this on ‘turn-based movements’ and ‘permanent death’ scenarios.. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

We have a guy in my office who loves to use his 'corporate speak'.

We were in a meeting before xnas and he said 'I'll put that into the Ideas Fridge, and I'll snack on it later'.

Everyone in the room looked at him to see if he was joking, but nope he was serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

vixdname wrote: »

We were in a meeting before xnas and he said 'I'll put that into the Ideas Fridge, and I'll snack on it later'.

Everyone in the room looked at him to see if he was joking, but nope he was serious.
    Ok that is a new low...how about he sticks his head in the blender of tossers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Synergy is the new in-word in our office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sabella

“Do you get me?”, yes for the 70th time today I get ye

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

Sabella wrote: »
    “Do you get me?”, yes for the 70th time today I get ye

By any chance is this person from Mayo. It seems to be some sort of nervous tick with anybody from there saying this line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

beerguts wrote: »
    By any chance is this person from Mayo. It seems to be some sort of nervous tick with anybody from there saying this line.

Or is this person possibly from Wicklow? And does this person also always say "you know that kind of way like" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

So help me god but I'll find a conversion to use that in tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Hey V, I had a nibble on that proposal last weekend in a bit of mischievous midnight snackage. Seriously dude my RDA for solutions-orientated, agile vantage-point goodness must have been totally exceeded! My dreamscape for the night was a veritable Davos soiree of the best thought-lines known to man.

I woke up and after my mindfulness I went full in on total carbo-loading from the idea chill-box. I smashed through two absolute decks in 20 minutes, like some sort of Chuck Yeager and Elon Musk hybrid blowing apart the sound-barrier of c-level mediocrity. I was on a roll, immediately went and presented them to the boys at KMPG and they were just Hiroshima-ed by it. Long story short, I drove home in new C-Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Panthro wrote: »
    So help me god but I'll find a conversion to use that in tomorrow!

Yes! It's brilliant. I'm going to use it next week!

I may even circle back to it.

"Now, lemme just circle back to the Ideas Fridge for a moment."

Promotion here I come.

• Advertisement

Or is this person possibly from Wicklow? And does this person also always say "you know that kind of way like" ?

Haha no but I see I’m not the only one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

I left one job because all them talked non stop about British soccer. All the 'us, we and them' going on about some corporation in Britain they follow on the TV.

They could literally talk about nothing else. It was also an eye opening experience in that I got to see how for so many Irish people British soccer is like a form of Prosac or Xannax. They are medicated by it once a week so they can continue to find a reason to live. It was very interesting to observe for about six months and then I had to leave. One guy from Limerick who was a Liverpool fan singing 'Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner, that I love Man Uuuuu' without a hint of irony and in a cockney accent taking the piss out of the Irish Man U fans. Quite incredible really.

Just raided the ‘Ideas Fridge’ for a snack....

Seems like I have a dirty mind.

o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

Think he won the thread for you. How did he say that with a straight face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

One lad in our place says "long story short" countless times an hour

"Robust" is the buzz phrase at the minute.

- we need a robust process
    - we had a robust conversation

Can't post the worst one I heard as it'd identify me and my company, the whole place was laughing at the tosser who said it

The usual rubbish comes up all the time too, going forward, touch base, reach out, boil the ocean, circle back etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Not exactly a co-worker but used to work in a dept where you answered your neighbours phone if it rang. A "mate" of my neighbour phoned every day at lunch time. Yer man was never around and the mate would just bark his name. I tried being polite and said Pardon and would get the name barked at me again. Never any hello, no please, just the name. I always put the call on hold and yelled for yer man (who was never far away). Until one day, I'd had enough. Got barked at twice, so dropped the handset on the desk from a height so the mate got an earful, then picked it up and yelled yer mans name into it. Yer man heard and came to talk to his mate but the mate never called at lunchtime again.

Not an annoying things people say but a girl I used to work with used to eat an apple like a donkey eating a carrot, the noise of it was horrific, I’m normally very easy going and things like that wouldn’t get to me but I used to have to take a walk until it was over, first world problems I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

UK and US based, this year has been particularly bad for corporate speak. From "low hanging fruit" and "quick win" to "strategic outlook" and "fundamentally speaking", the industry really seems to be going all out.

The one that really drives me up the wall, questioning anything and everything with "does it add value?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

"What day is today?"
    "Tuesday ......... punchline ---> "all day"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

MrAbyss wrote: »
    I left one job because all them talked non stop about British soccer. All the 'us, we and them' going on about some corporation in Britain they follow on the TV.

They could literally talk about nothing else. It was also an eye opening experience in that I got to see how for so many Irish people British soccer is like a form of Prosac or Xannax. They are medicated by it once a week so they can continue to find a reason to live. It was very interesting to observe for about six months and then I had to leave. One guy from Limerick who was a Liverpool fan singing 'Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner, that I love Man Uuuuu' without a hint of irony and in a cockney accent taking the piss out of the Irish Man U fans. Quite incredible really.

Welcome to 99% of workplaces in Ireland unfortunately, rabid Premiership mania going on for years. No interest in supporting local clubs of course or anything beyond old Blighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

patob wrote: »
    Welcome to 99% of workplaces in Ireland unfortunately, rabid Premiership mania going on for years. No interest in supporting local clubs of course or anything beyond old Blighty.

Either that or their fantasy team,lost count of the times I heard "I've him in my Fantasy football team" like I give one red fu*k

Also grown men excited about the latest metal gear -world of ****ecraft etc etc release Jesus wept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

patob wrote: »

What makes me laugh are these guys in their 30s or 40s who are staunch Celtic supporters and heartily engage in anti-British slogans and roar out old RA songs in the pub every week...then fight to get centre stage watching British teams like Liverpool play soccer every week, often debating passionately about how much they love their team, unaware of the irony..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What makes me laugh are these guys in their 30s or 40s who are staunch Celtic supporters and heartily engage in anti-British slogans and roar out old RA songs in the pub every week...then fight to get centre stage watching British teams like Liverpool play soccer every week, often debating passionately about how much they love their team, unaware of the irony..
    I know they hate the GAA love Man UTD (or other football teams are there other football teams?) but up the RA (half ironically). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Haven't met too many staunch Celtic fans who are also staunch Liverpool or United fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Arghus wrote: »
    Haven't met too many staunch Celtic fans who are also staunch Liverpool or United fans.

And that's a bad thing because??

Trust us they're out there, you've just been lucky up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Arghus wrote: »

They do exist, trust me. I know of 3 of them in my workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Marlee Dead Cereal

and on the opposite end, women who natter on about ****e in Corrie/Eastenders/Love Island or some crap reality show

“Word of the month” where I work is “Conflate”. Apparently, we all conflate too much

Had to look it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

They do exist, trust me. I know of 3 of them in my workplace.

I worked with 2 lads that had a row about Liverpools best player nearly came to blows, both fans of Liverpool, clowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I worked with 2 lads that had a row about Liverpools best player nearly came to blows, both fans of Liverpool, clowns

Yep, Liverpool fans are by far the worst fans in the work place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement