Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sh*te your co-workers say

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Phone junkies. I work with someone who sits on their phone for the first two hours of the day, then every ten minutes in between, then complains an hour before leave 'I'm not going to get through this' wonder why? Also notifications on full and whatsapp message pop noise heard every time they send a message.

dickhead 'We shouldn't be staying late we should all go into the boss and tell them'
    Goes in
    dickhead 'your right boss, I've no problem with staying late ever, whatever you want'

I don't care about your kids, I don't care if your niece had a child. I dont care if your da is going to get a kidney stone out. Notice how I don't talk about my family?
    I worked with some auld one who's child is getting into music and she like 'oh they're getting so many gigs, I'm the mother of a famous person, what does that make me?' I said a hanger on. Didn't take it well.

Luckily I can wear earphones but the loudest volume doesn't cover up the cackle of 3 of the ornaments who stand by my desk for an hour each day talking ****. Telling me not to have earphones on as it's rude. It's not rude for you to talk about peoples divorces, depression or who you don't like with me there. But it's also rude when I talk to you and I call you granny even though you are one in your 30s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What makes me laugh are these guys in their 30s or 40s who are staunch Celtic supporters and heartily engage in anti-British slogans and roar out old RA songs in the pub every week...then fight to get centre stage watching British teams like Liverpool play soccer every week, often debating passionately about how much they love their team, unaware of the irony..

Err.. Celtic are a British team.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

How can you get someone to stop saying “do you know what I mean” ending every second sentence ? This is an Irish person

You know what I mean boardsies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

J'ya-know-wha-I-mean? is probably the most irritating phrase when it's over used. I bet if you answered "yes I know what you mean" the person wouldn't even realise they asked the question!

I'm waiting for an opportunity to use the ideas fridge comment, just to see the reaction! (As a joke obviously!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sabella

"Are you with me" when someone is trying to convince you their idea is a good one while in a meeting

"No, im not with you and this idea is going to be a sh*t show chief"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What makes me laugh are these guys in their 30s or 40s who are staunch Celtic supporters and heartily engage in anti-British slogans and roar out old RA songs in the pub every week...then fight to get centre stage watching British teams like Liverpool play soccer every week, often debating passionately about how much they love their team, unaware of the irony..

and they will be the first out pissing all over the League of Ireland.

Because 'fanatical' football supporters in their 30s and 40s are by and large complete fcuking morons who desperately cling to foreign football teams for a sense of self worth and purpose away from their ****ty dead end existence...grow up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

Sabella wrote: »
    “Do you get me?”, yes for the 70th time today I get ye

I absolutely hate that saying.
    My wife says it all the time, and it drives me mad:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

"trust me"

F**k off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Dub Ste wrote: »
    I absolutely hate that saying.
    My wife says it all the time, and it drives me mad:mad::mad::mad:

Use 'Do you feeel me?' instead. Courtesy of The Wire. You'll sound like a badass gansta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Use 'Do you feeel me?' instead. Courtesy of The Wire. You'll sound like a badass gansta

You feelin' me? (Careful who you use this with, it can be misconstrued as a proposition which could result in a calamity or a happy accident, depending on the circumstances and individuals involved )

• Advertisement

A new one (well, for me anyway) that I heard today - Ideate. I think it means “think”. But I’m not sure, and I wasn’t going to ask!

Actually, that reminded me of another nonsense phrase. “I’ll reach out to (insert name of person or role here)”. Er, could you call them instead?

A new one (well, for me anyway) that I heard today - Ideate. I think it means “think”. But I’m not sure, and I wasn’t going to ask!

As in "suicidal ideation" (an odd phrase tied up with the abortion debate here ever since the X Case in 1992)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Long story short

You see the thing is

Let me put it to you this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Actually, that reminded me of another nonsense phrase. “I’ll reach out to (insert name of person or role here)”. Er, could you call them instead?

An Americanism I indeed despise. I correct people on it actually, "no, contact them instead."

Blame 'House of Cards'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

As in "suicidal ideation" (an odd phrase tied up with the abortion debate here ever since the X Case in 1992)

I've never heard it in any other context than suicidal ideation. Which is appropriate since that's exactly what I'd be doing if people started using it as a verb in the workplace.

Oh I'm ideating alright, boss, don't doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

An old boss of mine used to say he would eat a mile of my sisters ****e just to see the hole it came out of. I'd get that about twice a week. He was a gas man, maybe a bit frustrated!

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    An old boss of mine used to say he would eat a mile of my sisters ****e just to see the hole it came out of. I'd get that about twice a week. He was a gas man, maybe a bit frustrated!

Ah, they don’t make bosses like that anymore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ah, they don’t make bosses like that anymore :D

The day used go quick with that lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm not sure what "lean" is? In the last place I was supposed to be "agile".

Since I had to retire from football I'm getting a bit slower and fatter so I'm sure I'm breaking some kind of rules in these places....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sabella

Work colleagues who reply to emails starting with "Thanks (insert name)

real 1990's passive aggression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theteal wrote:
    I'm not sure what "lean" is? In the last place I was supposed to be "agile".

Fitness instructor would be a nice job, wouldn't mind doing it myself, you're lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fitness instructor would be a nice job, wouldn't mind doing it myself, you're lucky

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

“That was my understanding...”
    -Usually said by a colleague who has the the totally wrong idea /info and is trying to save face

“Let’s take this offline”
    -We can have a row about it later in private

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

milehip wrote: »
    Either that or their fantasy team,lost count of the times I heard "I've him in my Fantasy football team" like I give one red fu*k

Also grown men excited about the latest metal gear -world of ****ecraft etc etc release Jesus wept!

I'm not a fan of the things mentioned above, but out of curiosity, what do you get excited about? I'm sure Jesus would weap about that one too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

You see the thing is

You left out an extra is

Oh I'm ideating alright, boss, don't doubt that.

Homicidal ideation :)

Larbre34 wrote: »
    An Americanism I indeed despise. I correct people on it actually, "no, contact them instead."

Blame 'House of Cards'

David Caruso on NYPD Blue was using it long before that.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

When they say that such and such 'comes with a health warning' !

It doesn't you clown unless you are discussing a health topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I work with a lad regularly on shift,every bloody time he says,"I'm gonna to hand in my notice next week"
    It's a year and a half now.

ZX7R wrote: »
    I work with a lad regularly on shift,every bloody time he says,"I'm gonna to hand in my notice next week"

But it’s never next week, it’s always the following one. Hang on, I’m confusing myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

‘I sent you a note’

Do you mean email or is there a Post-it on my desk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

Jaysus what a bunch of whiney whingers

“Shovel ready”. Meaningless bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

"Happy new financial year".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

ZX7R wrote: »

I worked with a lady like that in her 50s. My first day on the job she came up chatting to me to introduce herself and quickly developed into a how much she hates the place etc etc and she is leaving. This became a weekly conversation. That was 2012 and she is still there.

I have long left the place but whenever I meet anyone from the same firm it is a case of: "How is 'Mary? Is she still threatening to leave?'...a running joke. She has handed in her notice umpteen times at this stage only to be talked out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

I worked with a lady like that in her 50s. My first day on the job she came up chatting to me to introduce herself and quickly developed into a how much she hates the place etc etc and she is leaving. This became a weekly conversation. That was 2012 and she is still there.

I have long left the place but whenever I meet anyone from the same firm it is a case of: "How is 'Mary? Is she still threatening to leave?'...a running joke. She has handed in her notice umpteen times at this stage only to be talked out of it.

My manager is like this. I'm in Finance and every day without fail it's "i hate working with numbers", "i'm just never going to get this". We all know you hate it - it's been 2years now of the same drivel every day - just leave and work in an area you think you will prefer.
    I honestly think no matter where she works she will moan like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

One I overheard that I thought was funny.

“Thanks for that, Jeremy. I’ll give you a call during the week”

“No problem and call me Jezza”

“No. Sorry, I won’t be doing that, Jeremy”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I was working remotely until today.

Had three meetings with different departments.

Every damn person in every meeting used the word “indicative” at least once.

After that. I heard several people across several floors use it.

If I find out the bastard that introduced it I’m going to kick them right in the indicative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"Scaffold" is one that's very popular where I work. I'm teaching in an American university, and they use it to refer to when you want students to be able to do something like, say, write an analytical essay, and you have to "scaffold" all of the skills involved in doing that into your classes. Same with "scaffolding" close reading strategies, etc.

It's not that bad on its own, but it's basically become a buzzword, because everyone kind of says it just for the sake of saying it now, knowing that saying you are going to "scaffold" something is enough to keep the department happy that you must be doing some really effective teaching.

"Situational awareness" = seeing what the f*ck is actually going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ugh my boss said Tic-tac today in a meeting

So glad I'm leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

"Scaffold" is one that's very popular where I work. I'm teaching in an American university, and they use it to refer to when you want students to be able to do something like, say, write an analytical essay, and you have to "scaffold" all of the skills involved in doing that into your classes. Same with "scaffolding" close reading strategies, etc.

It's not that bad on its own, but it's basically become a buzzword, because everyone kind of says it just for the sake of saying it now, knowing that saying you are going to "scaffold" something is enough to keep the department happy that you must be doing some really effective teaching.
    Used in every primary school teacher training day/course/seminar

Along with the beauty that is 'holistic'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Yes! It's brilliant. I'm going to use it next week!

I may even circle back to it.

"Now, lemme just circle back to the Ideas Fridge for a moment."

Promotion here I come.
    Have you watched Office space
    Office-Space2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqU3VVWObEDmZwygxhFkDQ0Zb9dfKHvA0Xbr_wGtzIGTk.jpg?imwidth=450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I have to admit, shovel ready would have made me lol in office. What I would have said to that......"wait..what's shovel ready? the Earth?"

Bwahahahaha

He can dig it up and put it in the ideas fridge. Ugh. Offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

The boss won't turn the heating on because we can't afford it. The building is freezing and draughty. She goes around the building saying how cold it is, even though she is the one who won't turn the heating on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

The heating bill would be nothing compared to the penalties when H&S come calling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Collie D wrote: »
    One I overheard that I thought was funny.

“Thanks for that, Jeremy. I’ll give you a call during the week”

“No problem and call me Jezza”

“No. Sorry, I won’t be doing that, Jeremy”

I work with a guy called William, who insists on being called Willie.

I feel weird using the word 'willie' multiple times a day and have to really concentrate on not letting my eyes drift down to his crotch when using his name.

I mean what's wrong with using 'William'? - it's a perfectly good name without any of the 'word for cock' connotations.

I feel the same about any Richards who want to be Dicks - I basically point blank refuse to engage with that nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I work with a guy called William, who insists on being called Willie.

I feel weird using the word 'willie' multiple times a day and have to really concentrate on not letting my eyes drift down to his crotch when using his name.

I mean what's wrong with using 'William'? - it's a perfectly good name without any of the 'word for cock' connotations.

I feel the same about any Richards who want to be Dicks - I basically point blank refuse to engage with that nonsense.

You sound obsessed with cock.

Advertisement