Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you Hal Blaine

• 13-03-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

The beat just got a little tighter in the heavenly choir because Hal Blaine just sat in behind the kit up there.

If you ask who, I don't blame you. I only learned of the guy lately myself.

When you see what he worked on you may come to the conclusion that I came to: that he is the individual with the greatest disparity in the history of popular music between his work impact and people's familiarity with his name.

Here is a list of what he played in through what was arguably pop music's golden age, the 60s and 70s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recordings_of_songs_Hal_Blaine_played_on

Elvis, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Sinatra, Phil Spector, Tina Turner, Simon&Garfunkel, Steely Dan, etc., a who's who. Most records never credited him.

He worked with a band of session musicians nicknamed 'the wrecking crew', that also included bassist Carol Kaye and guitarist Glen Campbell among others.

Basically every human being in the industrialised world has heard him play.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That's a hell of a CV

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

^^^^^
    That is a killer number - didn't know that was him. I'm still making my way through the list!
    If I had such a musical CV my ego would explode in my brain like some sort of supernova across the universe, but Hal was a laid back cool guy in the interviews I saw on Sky Arts. He reminisced about things like the Pet Sounds sessions as though he were talking about practicing with his high school buddies in a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Funnily enough, this randomly came up on my YOUTUBE about a month ago, and I was blown away by it.
    Sometimes, not enough respect is given to those who work hard behind the scenes.

What a talent, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

RIP. A great drummer.

Check out The Snake, a northern soul classic. I've heard he had just received his full octave set of toms, and boy does he put then to use!

Advertisement