Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you bring life into an old dash?

• 13-03-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

I'm restoring a MK3 Fiesta.It has a plastic dash that has faded and has a look of a car that is 30 years old, as you'd expect. I have taken the dash out,and washed it. What can I do now to bring some life back into it? Itr's grey in colour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Take a heat gun to it (carefully). Usually when you heat up the surface of the plastic it surfaces the oil in the plastic and darkens it back to its original unfaded colour. Then you can apply some sort of silicon finish to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for that. I saw that method alright, but I'm not sure if i'd be able to get a uniform coverage doing it. I was hoping there might be some spray or oil or something that I could use instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Carpro Perl is very good. It's pricey but you can use on all plastic trim, leather and tyres.

http://www.detailingshed.com/plastic-trim/235-carpro-perl.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Careful of using heat on plastics.......you are drawing the natural oils up to the surface when doing this. Depending on how much/little natural oils are actually still present, you may end up damaging or deforming the dash.

How did you wash the dash first time? What products did you use? I'd recommend a citrus based APC (All Purpose Cleaner) or water based safe degreaser, both diluted down accordingly and clean the dash by using a microfibre cloth, and/or agitating the surface with a soft bristled nail brush. Once wiped down and let dry I would look at applying a dressing to see if that will bring a bit more luster back into it. My favourites to use would be Gtechniq C6 Matte Dash, TAC System SEAL, Carpro P.E.R.L, Gyeon Preserve. Halfords will stock some other brands like Autoglym, Meguiars, Auto Finesse, etc that might be easier for you to get your hands on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Heat guns are a temporary solution and you risk ruining it. I use Gtechniq permanent rein restorer. It's the only tool for the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks lads. I'll look at the products you listed. Sound like what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Whatever way you go about it, try not to have a shiny dash. This is the last thing you want as you'll see the reflection in the windscreen and it's distracting. This is why dashboards are usually black or matte.

Advertisement