Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discovery 2x09 'Project Daedalus' [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 13-03-2019 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nearly that time again folks.

Could be an interesting episode, minefields, a dodgy admiral, a secret HQ...

Jonathan Frakes is directing this, usually have a decent track record I think and written my Michelle Paradise, the new show co-runner for season three.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Maybe it's safer for the secondary characters to not have a backstory....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭liamtech

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Yea it was ok, not as good as last weeks - all of this is my opinion

It has been pretty obvious that its a nasty super AI that is the real enemy - so no real shock there -

As for the big reveal about the Section 31 admirals -yea i enjoyed that and i didn't actually see that coming, which was nice

Airium was interesting, and yea it is kinda sad to see her go - obviously we still might get some back story on her -

Confirmed - AI is evil enemy and red angel is trying to stop it

DIDNT LIKE - Tilly, as usual.. and Michael as usual - also Airium's comments about 'Michael' seem to suggest Michael is connected to everything - no surprise there :mad::(

Honestly i REALLY THINK/HOPE/PRAY that the writers are watching Fan Reaction to Michael and realizing a few important details
    • We kinda dont like her
    • We kinda dont want her to be the center of the universe

The way Discovery is panning out, Michael's eventual Memory Alpha Page will be massively large outlining how
    • She created the universe
    • created the Q Continuum
    • traveled to the 24th/25th Century and destroyed the Borg
    • Won the war against the Dominion by appearing to Sisko in dreams
    • Was secretly on Board Kirks Enterprise, advising him on all of his crucial decisions
    • Ascended to a higher plain of existence where she corrected everything that went wrong in the universe- ever
    • Is god

All of this can be averted if the writers STOP giving her a central role in everything - its unbelievable and incredible - and i mean that in the literal sense - NOT BELIEVABLE and NOT CREDIBLE:mad:

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

Unfortunately for people who don't like 'Micheal', she is the central focus of the program, due to her been saved as a child by timeline edits.

As Point out in a youtube, we are still in the prime timeline (as cage happened), But her been alive to start the war in Season 1 are some alternations to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Rawr

It was an OK episode, and I did enjoy a good bit of it.
    No "Grey's Anatomy" style monologue anymore...a plus. And the camera did behave itself (minus that silly upside-down opening in the shuttle bay).

Also, I'm really getting to like Pike more and more.
    I found Airium's back story to be interesting and I felt that she became a sort of missed oppertunity alas. At least now we know what she is, and doesn's break continuity regarding Data etc...

Tilly was....ok....BUT the whole opening scene on the bridge where she whimpers in front of the Admiral was just plain grating. Just cut it out Tilly. Cut it out.

Staments was actually alright in this episode too. There was an ok dymanic between him and Spock.
    liamtech wrote: »

Honestly i REALLY THINK/HOPE/PRAY that the writers are watching Fan Reaction to Michael and realizing a few important details
    • We kinda dont like her
    • We kinda dont want her to be the center of the universe

With everyone else being ok, Michael stuck out a bit more this week. I don't know if it is the direction or Sonequa Martin-Green's acting, but she can't do "upset" in a convincing way. Her acting is very monotone in this show with a constant expression of shock on her face with the very occasional smile. Any occasion she acted upset in this episode seemed very forced. She's dragging this show down I fear, and if they can write her out I really think they should.

As for Spock...well, I actually kind of like him. I didn't think I would. He feels surprisingly Nimoy-esque and I can imagine him growing into the TOS Spock. Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SPOILERS AHEAD......

More idiocy this week.

Starfleet Command's decision making is controlled by an AI that predictably has developed a skynet complex :rolleyes:

Section 31 are known by everyone and running the show

Spock is what he is/becomes because of Michael Burnham and hurt feels and the scenes with him completely disrupt the pacing

Tilly is yet again an annoying twit and out of place in every scene

Admiral Incompetence is back. What exactly is her role supposed to be?

Giving robot girl an emotional back story out of nowhere was another misstep as was the idea that we'd suddenly care about this character (why did the AI not intervene once Burnham had her trapped? It was able to kill the others on the station, right?)

In short, it was a mess yet again. This show continues to be all over the place from a creative and continuity point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

More crew interaction scenes like Ariam's memories please. The camera during Spock and Stamets scene was distractingly shaky. And this is is a problem with most TV but very blatant in this episode of STD, if your guns make a loud noise every time you move them slightly they're terrible guns.

EDIT: Was there a reason they could't grab Ariam with the transporter? They did it with Ash in the Mirror Universe.

Evade wrote: »
    EDIT: Was there a reason they could't grab Ariam with the transporter? They did it with Ash in the Mirror Universe.

Ahh....I didn't think of that....I'm guessing the writers didn't either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

More crew interaction scenes like Ariam's memories please.

The rest of the bridge crew are still little more than extras. Just extras with names now. Other than Detmar, who can name the rest? The Asian security/tactical(?) guy, the girl at the Ops(?) console - we don't even know their positions on the ship do we?

Wouldn't have worked so well with the "emotional impact" they were going for, but the "in universe" reason would probably be that there was interference by the AI as with the comms channels.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The rest of the bridge crew are still little more than extras. Just extras with names now. Other than Detmar, who can name the rest? The Asian security/tactical(?) guy, the girl at the Ops(?) console - we don't even know their positions on the ship do we?
    Oko, at ops or navigation depending on if it is TOS or TNG station layout, and Ariam were the only ones I could name off the top of my head. An episode focusing entirely on the rest of the bridge crew would be nice.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't have worked so well with the "emotional impact" they were going for, but the "in universe" reason would probably be that there was interference by the AI as with the comms channels.
    Maybe, or maybe they're slowly whittling down the anachronisms. Can we have a rogue holodeck scenario that bans their use for the next 110 years too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe, or maybe they're slowly whittling down the anachronisms. Can we have a rogue holodeck scenario that bans their use for the next 110 years too?

I'm not sure the "holodecks" in Discovery are inconsistent with canon. They had holodecks in TAS (granted the canon there is ambiguous). But the real leap forward with the TNG holodecks wasn't that they could produce holograms but that they produced actual matter on the fly that you could touch, smell, taste, be drenched by all in an environment that seemlessly scrolled giving the impression of infinite space in a small room. We haven't seen anything like that so far in Discovery to my recollection.

• Advertisement

Their accuracy makes them inconsistent. Sulu's holographic portrait in Starfleet Headquarters apparently looks nothing like him due to 23rd century holographic technology being a bit crap

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Joann Owokesun aka Owo has already been filled out a bit, and Rhys aka Asian guy is gradually emerging - I think Paradise and Frakes worked that angle as hard as they could this week.

Presumably we'll learn what the Daedalus project is over the next few episodes, and meanwhile Airiam is now my favourite for the Red Angel.

I thought having an airiam episode was great and i liked the crew interactions in the memories and "go robots".
    I like spock as well. I thought he made some good points to Michael, didn't really understand her flying off the handle at him telling her to stop trying to be responsible for everything or not listening to him saying it was all his fault

Pike going on at the admiral was good.
    Bit more rhys and owo and detmer

Was surprised they didn't just transport people back from the station. And that everyone forgoy yer wan until she was suddenly okay again.
    I like the whole story arc
    Stamets is still totally the red angel. "if i were the red angel" + no more navigation system :p

Good ep all round

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When the episode started with the sudden focus on airiam and how she and Tilly were apparently best buds, I suspected she was a goner. Discovery has a habit of pulling the emotional twist without actually doing the character work first. And so it goes.

Mind you, the original iterations of Trek often pulled the same cheap stunt, introducing a hitherto unseen character apparently the life & soul of the ship, only to bump them off in a once off appearance. Guess only difference here is that we had seen airiam on many occasions.

Beyond that it was a good episode, and I liked the scenes between Burnham and Spock, particularly the latters attack on his sister that she believes the world revolves around her. Seems fair, and beyond the big airlock scene Burnham wasn't actually part of the A Story.

So guess this is going to be the longway to getting section 31 mothballed; Control looks like it'll be the catalyst that gets the org. shuttered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Disliked the Michael bits.

Loved the Airiam bits. Pity she is gone. Thought she was an interesting character.

Slicer mines were cool.

Enjoyed the tense music, especially near the end.

Rogue AI is abit meh and think we might be heading down the Borg route.

Hipster Spock is good.

Club of evil admirals is gone. New openings!!!!!

Really liking Captain Pike. Very much believes in the ideals and principles of the Federation. Reminds me of Picard.

Red Angel better not be Michael. Ask, this whole time traveling season better not be all about Michael.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I also quite liked the justification for Enterprise missing the war; that it was a failsafe to protect / preserve the Federation ideals on the off chance of Klingon victory.

Wasn't that the premise of Andromeda? Last federation knock-off ship trying to rebuild the system?

The bckstory only to knock off reminded me a lot of that bajoran ensign girl that Picard sent off to die. Similar episode

tromtipp wrote: »
    Joann Owokesun aka Owo has already been filled out a bit, and Rhys aka Asian guy is gradually emerging - I think Paradise and Frakes worked that angle as hard as they could this week.

Presumably we'll learn what the Daedalus project is over the next few episodes, and meanwhile Airiam is now my favourite for the Red Angel.

Something to do with red angel wings probs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really liked that episode.

I thought it was a good way of giving each character a chance to get seen and known. Its the kind of episode we could have done with on season 1 before the Klingon war started.

I liked that Micheal was not the A plot in this but I also do not get all the hate for her.

I like her and think that this episode showed her human side. You could say this was her having a bad day in the office as she did. It was not her day at all.

I thought we might lose the the Commander after Airiam pulled her breathing apparatus off.

I was surprised that Discovery did not try to beam them back off the station when Airium went AWOL or even her off it.

Overall do I thought this was a good episode and we get to find out why Spock was on the run and how it was done which was very good and as said above the explantion for Enterprise not been in the war was good too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Brilliant! Loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Sparko

I enjoyed it. I liked the interactions between the "background" characters - even just the small looks between Detmer and Owo. Hopefully they continue to develop these characters.

It's a shame they gave so much backstory to Airiam in this single episode as opposed to building it up over the series - would have made the loss connect more with the audience I think but they still did a good job with the time they had.

I thought Airiam making specific reference to Nhan's implants and what they were for was very clunky writing and was a massive hint to what was going to happen - I actually thought Airiam would hack them somehow but knew it'd involve her being unable to breath anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I enjoyed the episode. The bit where Tilly appeals to Airiams memories and succeeds is cringeworthy and I'd rather watch Sabrina the teenage witch.

Airiams is definitely coming back somehow.

Two things are hyperbugging me:

1/ Spock is too expressionless, even for a Vulcan. Leonard Nimoy had loads of expression

2/ The senior crew members are completely overdoing it on the walking/standing with their arms behind their backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Rawr wrote: »

Also, I'm really getting to like Pike more and more.

I really like him, he has the makings of a great captain......Hit It :-)

I don't discount the Airium as the Red Angel theory, but I wondered if killing her off was also a budget decision. They already had to recast her once, and she was surely an expensive - if impressive - glorified background character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

368100 wrote: »
    I really like him, he has the makings of a great captain......Hit It :-)

I like Pike but I keep getting drawn to the sideburns, really off putting look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Liked the episode. Sad about Airiam. I hope we do see her again.

Nhan is Barzan! I liked that touch.
    Their accuracy makes them inconsistent. Sulu's holographic portrait in Starfleet Headquarters apparently looks nothing like him due to 23rd century holographic technology being a bit crap

Holograms generated by advanced AI vs. dumb computer holograms? I think the Control incident is going to result in both AI and holo technology taking a step back for a few decades, at least until Soong-type androids show up.

Ms

Sparko wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. I liked the interactions between the "background" characters - even just the small looks between Detmer and Owo. Hopefully they continue to develop these characters.

It's a shame they gave so much backstory to Airiam in this single episode as opposed to building it up over the series - would have made the loss connect more with the audience I think but they still did a good job with the time they had.

I thought Airiam making specific reference to Nhan's implants and what they were for was very clunky writing and was a massive hint to what was going to happen - I actually thought Airiam would hack them somehow but knew it'd involve her being unable to breath anyway.

I did not have a problem with the way it was done.

I liked the interactions between the "background" characters - even just the small looks between Detmer and Owo. Hopefully they continue to develop these characters.

Yes I thought that was really good and a good way for the characters to get some airtime as well as for the rest of us to get to know them a bit more. Yes hopefully they do.

Yes its a pity it could not have been done over more than one episode as it certainly would have made the loss connect more but at least they did do a bit before she went anyway.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode. The bit where Tilly appeals to Airiams memories and succeeds is cringeworthy and I'd rather watch Sabrina the teenage witch.

Airiams is definitely coming back somehow.

Two things are hyperbugging me:

1/ Spock is too expressionless, even for a Vulcan. Leonard Nimoy had loads of expression

2/ The senior crew members are completely overdoing it on the walking/standing with their arms behind their backs.

The bit where Tilly appeals to Airiams memories and succeeds is cringeworthy and I'd rather watch Sabrina the teenage witch.

Each to there own. I would much prefer watching Discovery over some crappy teen witch any day.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't discount the Airium as the Red Angel theory, but I wondered if killing her off was also a budget decision. They already had to recast her once, and she was surely an expensive - if impressive - glorified background character.

Agree she was an impressive background character.
    Liked the episode. Sad about Airiam. I hope we do see her again.

Yes it is sad to see her go.

Holograms generated by advanced AI vs. dumb computer holograms? I think the Control incident is going to result in both AI and holo technology taking a step back for a few decades, at least until Soong-type androids show up.

Sad about Airiam. I hope we do see her again.

Sad about Airiam

Yes it is sad to see her go.

Yes that as a nice touch alright but she has not really have much to do in the show yet do. I hope we get to see her do more. I thought she had the least to do in this episode bar standing around watch Airiam for some reason and she did not talk much either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I was wondering this all through the scene. They literally said "Standing by to beam you out" after they beamed on. Did the transporter chief take a break?

Also, the crew and Michael don't take any time to check if the Commander Nahn is okay during moments when she's almost gasping for her dying breath. Pike clearly doesn't give a damn about his Enterprise crew and neither does Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭liamtech

Just a thought - could Daystrom, who is presumably alive and well during this era have anything to do with control? or project Daedalus??

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/M-5_multitronic_unit

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Richard_Daystrom

Also worth noting that, Greek mythology aside, 'Daedalus' was the name of an AI in another franchise too - a franchise which included both mechanical and nano-technological augmentation as a major plot arc

https://deusex.fandom.com/wiki/Daedalus

https://deusex.fandom.com/wiki/Deus_Ex

https://deusex.fandom.com/wiki/Nanotechnological_augmentation

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

How do you see that next episode thing? My Netflix always goes to a new show, that I never want to see, as soon as the credits start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

How do you see that next episode thing? My Netflix always goes to a new show, that I never want to see, as soon as the credits start.

Most people who get to see it, are probably watching streams from CBS?

Don't use Netflix, myself , but is there away to turn off autoplay of next content in settings of the app.
    To disable Post-Play's auto-play feature on a Netflix profile, navigate to your Account, click Playback Settings, then uncheck the option to Play next episode automatically. Other Post-Play features will still be enabled -- this setting simply turns off automatic playback of the next episode.

If you want to see it? Spoilers (especially with title on the next episode): -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzcybLucSyw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

corkie wrote: »
    Most people who get to see it, are probably watching streams from CBS?

Don't use Netflix, myself , but is there away to turn off autoplay of next content in settings of the app.

If you want to see it? Spoilers (especially with title on the next episode): -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzcybLucSyw

Cheers.

Good episode again, but Tilly needs reined back or removed. The character is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

I like this show, but the overall story arc is killing character development. Every now and then you need a stray episode to build out one of the bridge crew - more on Airiam's accident and rehabilitation would have good.

Feels like they are trying to move away from the standard Red Shirt Deaths by teasing a bit more personal info on the random people in the background whose names we can't really remember (right before they are killed off!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I really liked this episode and the loss of Airiam was done really well for a character with no established connection with us as an audience.

I’ve said in the past I really like Tilly but having her run around the bridge blurting out stuff in an eratic fashion makes a mockery of what would be considered normal in any formal setting, let alone a Starfleet bridge.

I could do with this show killing off Burnham because if it’s going to revolve around her for its entire run then I’m never going to be able to fully enjoy it. I don’t think she’s a good enough actor or likeable enough character to be pinning your whole show on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Good episode. Cornwell always a win.

Looks like AI is the enemy and this might lead to the changes starfleet/federation needs
    Now just to figure out who this time traveller is.

Not sure why but I thought they handled Spock very well. I think it was how he held his own without going overboard.

Cornwall was a bit of a minus for me, given in season 1 she was keen enough to jump at a genocidal solution to the Klingon war. Didn't quite buy her sudden conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Slydice wrote: »
    Not sure why but I thought they handled Spock very well. I think it was how he held his own without going overboard.

Yeah, thought he was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Good, steady ep IMHO

- I thought the fight scenes were pretty hokey, especially as some of the earlier fight scenes were really kick-ass especially when the Empress was involved. Personally I blame director Frakes for this - some of the action scenes in First Contact were pretty ropey too, in particular the deflector dish scene :rolleyes:

- does anyone think the Security chief will be the Red Angel? Her spacesuit is conveniently red ? :pac:

Michelle Yeoh's been in a lot of martial arts action films in her career so that would have helped.

Ms

AMKC wrote: »
    I really liked that episode.

I thought it was a good way of giving each character a chance to get seen and known. Its the kind of episode we could have done with on season 1 before the Klingon war started.

I liked that Micheal was not the A plot in this but I also do not get all the hate for her.

I like her and think that this episode showed her human side. You could say this was her having a bad day in the office as she did. It was not her day at all.

I thought we might lose the the Commander after Airiam pulled her breathing apparatus off.

I was surprised that Discovery did not try to beam them back off the station when Airium went AWOL or even her off it.

Overall do I thought this was a good episode and we get to find out why Spock was on the run and how it was done which was very good and as said above the explantion for Enterprise not been in the war was good too.
    Monotype wrote: »
    I was wondering this all through the scene. They literally said "Standing by to beam you out" after they beamed on. Did the transporter chief take a break?

I was also wondering why they never bothered to try. Transporter chief must have been asleep. Not one you would want to count on to save your life.

Quote; I was surprised that Discovery did not try to beam them back off the station when Airium went AWOL or even her off it.

Its in my post above.

Also, the crew and Michael don't take any time to check if the Commander Nahn is okay during moments when she's almost gasping for her dying breath. Pike clearly doesn't give a damn about his Enterprise crew and neither does Michael.
    Yes I thought Micheal could have checked alright and then though maybe she that is Commander Nahn has died but we then she she is ok. Micheal still could have checked and Pike should have been asking her is she ok.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Enjoyed that. Especially the Burnham Spock argument and his point about how she makes everything about herself, very Meta. The Airiam stuff was well handled, it's just a shame, as others have said, that they didn't sprinkle a few more details about her in previous episodes to add additional pathos. Nothing drastic just the odd canteen scene like we saw in the flash back or a scene of them playing whatever game they were talking about.

Baffled as to the big deal people are making about Burnham not checking on Nahn. Airiam was about to evolve an already melevolent AI to all sentient life in the galaxy threatening levels. But nope she's supposed to ignore that galaxy wide threat and check on Nahn.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    I really liked this episode and the loss of Airiam was done really well for a character with no established connection with us as an audience.

I’ve said in the past I really like Tilly but having her run around the bridge blurting out stuff in an eratic fashion makes a mockery of what would be considered normal in any formal setting, let alone a Starfleet bridge.

I could do with this show killing off Burnham because if it’s going to revolve around her for its entire run then I’m never going to be able to fully enjoy it. I don’t think she’s a good enough actor or likeable enough character to be pinning your whole show on.

I think you summed up a lot of my feelings of this show rather elegantly there :)

Totally agree with Tilly. It's such a pity, since I did like her in S1...but they seem hell bent on making her "The Zany One" on the bridge. Rather than endearing, it just comes across as jarring and out of place.

I also feel that ending Burnham's arc would improve the show immensely. However my gut tells me that either due to design or due to some kind of clause in Martin-Green's contract...this is show is essentially "Star Trek: Micheal". If she leaves, it'll probably be with the show's finale.

In the grand scale of Trek shows this is still early days, but I don't know if I would last the traditional 7 seasons of Star Trek: Micheal. Makes me wonder if an end for Discovery is planned before that stage, or will it be shut down when Picard's show starts up?

In a burst of madness, I wouldn't actually mind a show following Pike & Co going back to the Enterprise (maybe they can somehow retcon the ship back into it's original form). I'd be afraid they'd have a load more chances to break canon though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Couldn't have cared less about Airiam in the airlock. If they wanted me to care about her they should have humanised her long ago instead of just before she died. I thought that was really shoddy writing.

I also thought Spock was coming across as a bit of a d1ck; that is until he told Burnham the world didn't revolve around her. I almost cheered at that.

TBH, the transporter is a bit of a weird plot device in Star trek in general. So many situations across the shows that could have been resolved 2 mins into the episode through the use of the transporter and they've had to invent various excuses for not being able to use it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Couldn't have cared less about Airiam in the airlock. If they wanted me to care about her they should have humanised her long ago instead of just before she died. I thought that was really shoddy writing.

I also thought Spock was coming across as a bit of a d1ck; that is until he told Burnham the world didn't revolve around her. I almost cheered at that.

Agree she's been a nobody til this ep.

Spock is very likeable.

But again as said, hopefully its not "Michael you are the centre of the universe blah blah blah"

The funny thing is at least Discovery gave Airium much of the episide so we got some semblance of who she was; it was better than Tasha Yar, who was basically a nobody in TNG, then got a clumsy retroactive hologram saying goodbye to all her supposed best chums. I knew Crosbie famously left early on but was surprised just how clumsily her departure was handled on-screen

pixelburp wrote: »
    The funny thing is at least Discovery gave Airium much of the episide so we got some semblance of who she was; it was better than Tasha Yar, who was basically a nobody in TNG, then got a clumsy retroactive hologram saying goodbye to all her supposed best chums. I knew Crosbie famously left early on but was surprised just how clumsily her departure was handled on-screen

Holo-Tasha: Goodbye dear friends, and while you wait around on this generic grave-hill, here are some nonsense details about each of you that I somehow had enough time to learn in the last couple of months and then recorded in case of my death.

-Captain, you were my Captain.
    -Wesley, you are boy....but that will stop eventually...
    -And Data....We F***ed...and that was cool...

(PS. Back in the day I somehow got the impression that they sort of "buried" her on the holodeck. As a kid I wondered how they hell that worked...and also didn't envy the next user of the holodeck suddenly coming across a coffin left in the middle of the holodeck.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I enjoyed that. In many ways a nice bit of slowed-down pace compared to some earlier episodes. We got decent decent character building around the bridge crew, and we also had several questions answered, some of which had been hanging around since S1.

Ariam was an augment after an accident (which I believe I predicted :p), and several other bridge crew consider themselves "augments". Ariam's incident may explain why augmentation is so less prevalent later on - Starfleet likely banning anything beyond the absolute necessity so as to avoid another compromise. (Even though LaForge was later compromised through his augmentation).

Someone else here was wolf-eared enough to catch the mention of the Control AI last episode. I hadn't and clearly loads of other hadn't either. And it was predicted that Control was the future AI that the red angel was fighting. It's a pretty standard trope. A "Risk analysis" AI calculates that the greatest threat to the galaxy is biological life itself and so goes rogue with the intent of eliminating the threat. Not gonna whinge though, you'd be hard pressed to find a unique storyline, especially when you're still confined to the Star Trek universe.

The mention of Project Daedalus indicates that there's a clear link with the red angel. Which is kind of nice; it suggests that the battle being fought here is not advanced beings coming back hundreds of years to change time, but relatively contemporary technology being used to jump back a few years or decades. I dislike the former; it's a cheap way of being able to write in super-advanced (i.e. magic) technology without any real explanation. If the tech is in development, then that also lends fuel to the idea that Stamets is the Red Angel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Am I missing something? the Red Angel appears to be clearly female?

The spock projection was fairly ambiguous or male i think. Plus they're in a suit
    I had a Google there and guesses are floating about both genders
    Some article suggested lorca!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Am I missing something? the Red Angel appears to be clearly female?

The first proper image we saw, with Saru's enhanced vision, was clearly female I think. However, as bluewolf says, the one on the screen that Spock was looking at was a lot more ambiguous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement