Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what time will you be back at?

Options
  • 13-03-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Well, its taken me a fair amount of time to decide if I should start a training log, but I reckon it can only but help to share and learn on a boards running forum, eh?

"So, what time will you be back at?" is a smart arsed reference to the question (currently 5 mornings a week!) my patient wife asks me how long she has before she has to drag herself (she'd kill me if she read this!) out of bed and the shower so that I can hop straight in to the shower after my run and get to work.

My running so far:

One weekend in November 2016, the realisation that I was doing very little exercise and eating and drinking lots and that I needed to change those habits in some way, made me go up very early one morning to the Roganstown Hotel Gym (I was a member through the Golf Club) for a run.....needless to say I was wrecked but loved the good feeling post run.

Golf was beginning to take a back seat as I was crap, paying lots of money in subs and it was taking up, all in, about 5/6hours on a Saturday morning.

I ran a parkrun on New Years Day 2017, ran my first 10k race in Drogheda March 2017, then a 10k in Swords July 2017 as part of the race series, then the Rock n Roll half marathon August 2017 and then Clontarf half marathon in November 2017. Needless to say I was "hooked" on running now rather than golf.

I knew I hadn't a marathon in my legs in 2017 but was making big plans for 2018 and I joined up with the other Boards novices around May 2018.

I loved the marathon training, the routine of my morning runs (I nearly always run around 6.30am mid week), ticking the boxes of each run/week/weekly miles. The advice on the novice forum was invaluable, even if I sometimes ignored it. Still haven't met many from that thread yet we are nearly on a daily basis "chatting" on social media/internet, and they are a great bunch.

The marathon itself was a tale of two halves, the first half was full of joy, the second was full of pain just to get home, "I went out in a Ferrari and came home in a hearse". My quads tightened completely at mile 17 (I walked/ran to get home) and poor nutrition/stretching that morning led me to disappointing personal time but I cant regret the journey, it was brilliant.......but I have a burning feeling that I have unfinished "marathon" business and I can improve on my time.

My recent times:
    10 mile: 1:27:xx (Trim Feb 2019)
    Half: PB is 1:51:xx (Bohermeen on March 11th 2019 was 1:52:xx)
    Marathon: 4:23:xx (DCM 2018)

Future/Current plans:

Belfast on May 5th 2019- (I am following the Boards Grad Beginners marathon plan, really enjoying the mix of runs of the plan)
    DCM Race Series-
    DCM 2019-

Goal: A marathon time of 3:59:59 or better!

So that's me, I will try and post weekly updates of my training and how its all going, and all advice is welcome!
    cheers
    @strokesfh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Week 7 of 15 Belfast Training- week ending 10th March:

I had Bohermeen on Sunday so my plan was to drop Saturdays planned 60min easy. I originally was planning on going slow at Bohermeen (2hr plan) but I just felt I needed to change that and see how much I could push myself so I revised my plan to try and get a 1:52. Why 1:52? I am not sure why to be honest, I wanted a "fast" time as close to PB as I could, to see if it was in my legs but also to test if all my easy runs were the right plan for me.

Monday and Friday are always rest days for me.

Tuesday: 60mins easy- 5.8miles at 10:14 per mile
    Wednesday: 60mins moderate- 4.59miles at 9:49 per mile
    Thursday: 60 mins easy-5.79 miles at 10:21 per mile

Sunday: Bohermeen Half: 13.22 miles at 8:34 per mile- 1:52:28

Bohermeen:

Weather was Baltic, really like this race and this was my second year racing it. Myself and Sideshowbob headed to the race in blue skies after a yellow weather warning issued the previous day. Heading to the race I felt great, felt strong and ready to go. My plan was to start at 8:40 pace keeping the 1:50 pacers in my eyeline until mile 8 and then see if I could catch them or not. In hindsight I should have started and tried to stick with the 1:50 pacers. For miles 1 to I'd say mile 10 I had them in my sights, but the final turn on to the main road and the headwind I knew I wouldn't catch them.
    Happy I got the 1:52 I went looking for, however I logged on to the sub4 hr thread on Monday and I have to admit it dented my confidence. Do I really need to be racing a 1:40/5 to break 4 hours? I hope not as I feel I am training well for it in Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Good luck with both the training log and Belfast.

As for a half time that gives a guideline for a Sub 4 marathon...Yes it can be done off a 1:50/52 half. A 1:40/45 would give a bit more room to manoeuvre but still wouldn't be a guarantee. That's the cruel beauty of the marathon...no guarantees! With the right training over the next couple of months you will have every chance.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Good luck with both the training log and Belfast.

As for a half time that gives a guideline for a Sub 4 marathon...Yes it can be done off a 1:50/52 half. A 1:40/45 would give a bit more room to manoeuvre but still wouldn't be a guarantee. That's the cruel beauty of the marathon...no guarantees! With the right training over the next couple of months you will have every chance.

Thanks S- appreciate the advice- didn't spot you at Bohermeen, hope you made it for the pint after the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Delighted to see you start up a log F! :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Delighted to see you start up a log F! :)

Thanks V, sure we will see how it goes like! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

So do we have to keep reading this log to eventually find out what time you did get back at ?

Rossi7 wrote: »
    So do we have to keep reading this log to eventually find out what time you did get back at ?

.........the training plan very clearly answers that question! But either way I am in the wrong when I get back to the gaffe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the log F! I find the logging very useful, so hope you get something out of it too. Best of luck with the Belfast training as well, you're tipping along nicely at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Yay F! I'm delighted to see you have started a log. I will be following for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Always good to see a new log!

I did a sub 4 marathon (3:58) after doing a 1:49 half so it is possible. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log F! I find the logging very useful, so hope you get something out of it too. Best of luck with the Belfast training as well, you're tipping along nicely at the moment.

Cheers Guappa, appreciate the advice. I’m “attacking” Belfast for the 3:59, but it’s not the be all and end all, it will interesting to run 26 miles in a different city where I’ll not recognise any of the route.

I kinda felt I needed a new focus after DCM

chickey2 wrote: »
    Always good to see a new log!

I did a sub 4 marathon (3:58) after doing a 1:49 half so it is possible. Best of luck.

Thanks chickey2, maybe it’s too much off of 1:52 but I’m going to enjoy the challenge of trying

Yay F! I'm delighted to see you have started a log. I will be following for sure.

Cheers L, ah sure I may as well, I’ll be honest I’ve not read the other logs (including your own) but I reckon if I start a log then it will guilt me into reading everyone else’s!!!

Hope the niggle is not wrecking your head too much! You were right to skip bohermeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good to see this, welcome to the logs! :D Mad how close Belfast is getting now - a few more weeks and you'll be tapering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yay. Delighted to see you've started a log. I'll be following your journey to Belfast and beyond with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good luck with the new log, it's great to see so many of the 2018 Novices around these parts :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Good to see this, welcome to the logs! :D Mad how close Belfast is getting now - a few more weeks and you'll be tapering!

Thanks eyrie- yeah looking forward to it now. Only 5 hard training weeks left

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yay. Delighted to see you've started a log. I'll be following your journey to Belfast and beyond with interest.

Thank you Huzzah!

ariana` wrote: »
    Good luck with the new log, it's great to see so many of the 2018 Novices around these parts :)

Thanks ariana’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I have to laugh at the title. Was asked that very question this morning and every Saturday since I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I have to laugh at the title. Was asked that very question this morning and every Saturday since I can remember.

Ditto!!!! 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Welcome to logland!!

Looking forward your updates!!

Divorce and a partner who is a runner has removed this question from my life! :-) In married life the question related to a round of golf that started at 8am....my answer was always the same, Closing Time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    Divorce and a partner who is a runner has removed this question from my life! :-) In married life the question related to a round of golf that started at 8am....my answer was always the same, Closing Time!

See I'm trying to fit my long run around the naps of a little babba at the weekend. She naps at 11.i usually run then and we have the rest of the day for baby shenanigans.

See I'm trying to fit my long run around the naps of a little babba at the weekend. She naps at 11.i usually run then and we have the rest of the day for baby shenanigans.

Baby shenanigans sounds like making number 2!!!

coogy wrote: »
    Welcome to logland!!

Looking forward your updates!!

Cheers k- fair play again on last weeks race

Fair play swashbuckler-it’s not easy fitting a new baby into a hobby you like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just spotted your log. Best of luck. Have been following on Strava so will be good to read the detail here for Belfast and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Well wear F!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Belfast training week 8 update:

Monday: rest day-post boherrmeen was already dreading the Tuesday run as my legs felt very tired/heavy. I know I don't do enough stretching yet I don't change :rolleyes:

Tuesday 6:35am: 50 mins easy, 60 per plan but felt 50 was enough to wake the legs up again. Pace was 10.47- happy with that pace. Distance covered was 4.6miles. Felt great that I got out considering how tired the legs felt yesterday

Wednesday 6:28am: 77 mins easy, pace was 10.07 and distance covered 7:67 miles. Felt really strong after this run, really feel the training is kicking in now. Some guy deliberately tried to drown me by driving into a puddle, he missed but I reckon he buckled his wheel- wa*nker!

Thursday - the alarm went off at 6:15am, I heard the rain belting down and decided to chicken out and go later as I was leaving work early to visit my mother in Beaumont Hospital.

Went out at 4:30 and decided instead of doing the 60 min easy as per the plan I'd do my first hill sprint session- loved it. Did a 1.5mile warm up and cool down either side.

1/4 mile*4 hill sprints: my aim was to try and keep each section under 8min per mile pace with a gentle jog back down the hill. Going to try and run that session every Thursday instead of the 60min easy- thoughts anybody?

Friday: rest day- at meetings all day and had about 3 Danish cakes- not the best nutrition plan pre long run! But they were so nice!

Saturday: flipped the weekend sessions here and did the 2hr 15min on Saturday instead. I knew the weather was to be rotten, but kept telling myself it could be nasty weather on race day. I always feel that once I'm out in the rain I'll be fine, but getting out is the mental bit. Got a text from another runner who want to go to, I knew now pace would be an issue and easy planned pace may suffer. Was also now running with "first lady" home in balbriggan 20xx half marathon-yikes!!!

Ran out of tailwind (my order arrived that afternoon-doh!) and had no gels, so I was running this run without any fuelling. Won't let that happen again, really felt tired the last 3 miles.

2hr 15mins- 14.1miles at 9:40 average pace. The weather was brutal. Glad to get the session done. Love the route I run now for my long runs out to Portmarnock and back.

Sunday: 60 mins easy pace again got a bit hijacked when I met another fast runner who ran 3 miles with me- I'm too polite!!! Having ran the previous 8 weeks on my own, it was both nice to have chats during my runs this weekend but also reminded me it's my marathon and I need more pace discipline which I get more when I'm solo.

Session was 5.78miles at avg pace of 9:55

Total weekly miles: 37miles

Injury update: calves definetly feel tight, need to start stretching. Will be booking a sports message pre Belfast marathon to get a good muscle work out.
    The arch of my foot is getting more troublesome, this was the issue that stopped me running two weeks pre DCM, I'm not sure there is a fix. My new runners feel like gloves and have good arch support, it may be just a cumulative mileage issue, but I'm no doctor!!

A nice few beers last night for a paddies day party with friends and kids.....the alcohol needs cutting out pre marathon very very very soon!

All in all a good training week.

Advertisement