Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what time will you be back at?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

gypsylee wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted that the race went so well for you. Great report. Congrats on the PB. I am excited to see how you do in Manchester. You will smash it!

Thanks J, appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Congrats again F on the race, you're in great nick for the upcoming marathon. I would maybe quicken the PMP to 9min - give you a buffer going into the race to allow for the racing line increasing the total distance ran.

If sub 4 is the A goal, I would put any thoughts of sub 3.55 to one side for this race. Go for the sub 4 till mile 20-22 and if feeling ok, go for it from there. Trust me, it feels mighty finishing a marathon strongly and speeding past loads in the final few miles.

Treviso wrote: »
    Congrats again F on the race, you're in great nick for the upcoming marathon. I would maybe quicken the PMP to 9min - give you a buffer going into the race to allow for the racing line increasing the total distance ran.

If sub 4 is the A goal, I would put any thoughts of sub 3.55 to one side for this race. Go for the sub 4 till mile 20-22 and if feeling ok, go for it from there. Trust me, it feels mighty finishing a marathon strongly and speeding past loads in the final few miles.

Thanks T- I’d be naturally cautious, I’ll give 8:55 at the weekend a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great race and report F. Enjoyed the determination in there - it really shone through, and got you the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great race report and race ! Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Whoop brilliant report, loved reading that! Well done amazing progression. I'm dying to see how Manchester goes for you now, i think it's going to be great. I'd probably err on the side of caution aim for a nice round 9 min/m til about 20/21 miles and then see if can bring the last few in with a nice strong finish. I suppose my thinking is to get the sub-4 target with a nice strong finish and plenty of time to go for more aggressive targets again which you will absolutely no doubt about it. But i suppose it depends whether you want to play it safe or go aggressive :)

Great race and report F. Enjoyed the determination in there - it really shone through, and got you the results.

Thanks J, appreciate that.

ariana` wrote: »
    Whoop brilliant report, loved reading that! Well done amazing progression. I'm dying to see how Manchester goes for you now, i think it's going to be great. I'd probably err on the side of caution aim for a nice round 9 min/m til about 20/21 miles and then see if can bring the last few in with a nice strong finish. I suppose my thinking is to get the sub-4 target with a nice strong finish and plenty of time to go for more aggressive targets again which you will absolutely no doubt about it. But i suppose it depends whether you want to play it safe or go aggressive :)

Cheers, yeah I’ve a few weeks to decide on that one, and 100% the number 1 target has to be getting below 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats Fran, delighted for you. You have trained so well in awful weather and are really reaping the rewards lately.
    You are in super shape for Manchester and should be full of confidence right now.

Congrats Fran, delighted for you. You have trained so well in awful weather and are really reaping the rewards lately.
    You are in super shape for Manchester and should be full of confidence right now.

Cheers J, confidence is high....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great report F and a well earned result. Stick to what you're doing. Manchester should be a really enjoyable experience for you with a fast finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great race report very well run race and congrats on the PB.

My tuppence worth. Make MP 9.00 minutes and have a great run in Manchester. Maintaining that is a 3.57 approx marathon, but you are strong enough to pick it up for the last 6 miles if you want or just enjoy the feeling of being strong.

As we know things always don't go to plan so my advise is to err on the side of caution go for the 9 min/m and then after Manchester, you can aim for faster in the next marathon.
    My first sub 4, i stuck with the 4hr pacer until mile 22 and then passed them and sailed home comfortable in 3.57, the following marathon was 3.55 and them a 3.49(off a 1.45 Half). There nothing like the feeling of not dying the last few miles of a marathon so enjoy it.

tbukela wrote: »
    Great report F and a well earned result. Stick to what you're doing. Manchester should be a really enjoyable experience for you with a fast finish.

Thanks T!

Younganne wrote: »
    great race report very well run race and congrats on the PB.

My tuppence worth. Make MP 9.00 minutes and have a great run in Manchester. Maintaining that is a 3.57 approx marathon, but you are strong enough to pick it up for the last 6 miles if you want or just enjoy the feeling of being strong.

As we know things always don't go to plan so my advise is to err on the side of caution go for the 9 min/m and then after Manchester, you can aim for faster in the next marathon.
    My first sub 4, i stuck with the 4hr pacer until mile 22 and then passed them and sailed home comfortable in 3.57, the following marathon was 3.55 and them a 3.49(off a 1.45 Half). There nothing like the feeling of not dying the last few miles of a marathon so enjoy it.

Thanks Anne, very sensible advice.

Week 13-is it on or is it off!

Took a number of miles off most runs this week to help recovery from the race.

Monday: rest day

Tuesday: plan was 8 mile GA but just did 6 miles early Tuesday morning- pace was 10 min mile. Legs felt heavy.

Wednesday: plan was 9 mile with 5*1k at 5k pace. Still recovering so just did 8 miles and only 4 reps. These were tough reps on tired legs, tried to keep it as close as possible between 7:00 and 7:15 pace

Splits were 7:10, 7:00, 7:02 and 7:05

Thursday: rest day

Friday: plan was 12 mile GA but kept it just to 9m, was dreading this, I'd been feeling more tired as the week went on, had already ducked out of doing this run Friday morning as I'd not slept well but glad I got it done Friday evening.

Saturday was to be 5 mile recovery run but skipped it

Sunday: plan was 18m with 14m at MP. What MP to pick??? Woke nice and early and the storm seemed to have passed. Headed out around 8am. Decided before the run to be conservative and try stick to 9min miles....actual was different!!! The wind was fairly strong out there. Had already decided to up the 14m to 16m...cause I didn't think 14 would be a good indicator I suppose!

Splits:
    10:14
    8:49
    9:02
    9:06
    8:51
    8:48
    8:43
    8:56
    8:44
    8:46
    8:36
    8:41
    8:48
    9:47

The overall pace of the 18m was 8:57!!

Was wrecked after the run but recovering well now.

So I think I will go with 8:55...and see what's in the tank late on.

....but will I be even traveling to Manchester, will they cancel the marathon...I've no clue...hopefully they make an early decision.

I've provisionally booked East of Ireland Balbriggan marathon on March 28th as a back up plan....not as glamorous but hey it's a marathon!

Week 14

Monday: rest day

Tuesday: 6 m with 4*600meters at 5k pace- took two miles off planned 8 miles. A nice session first thing this morning.

Wednesday: a runmute of 10.6 miles - cold enough evening for a run

Friday: was supposed to be 4 mile recovery but I was crazy busy in work I took it off. No harm as I had a park run race Saturday.

Saturday: a small jog to the start line, was feeling positive for this one. Fantastic crowds.

Mile 1: the distance was short of 5k last time I was here so started a small bit from the start line (it wasn't far back enough so no official 5k result). Having started further back from start line I had a further crowd to get through. Lots of dodging and weaving to get in the right pace. Was upping the pace all the time and felt good and strong. Pace was 7:11.

Mile 2: was motoring along now, feeling it in the legs but was bringing back the speed when I felt it slack off a little. Pace was 7:21

Mile 3: the last mile, nearly there, time to give it some. Was passing people and setting sights on the next runners to catch. Spotted a lady up ahead about 50 meters, who was running well. Was pushing to catch her, didn't succeed but it helped the focus on pace and to keep pushing. Pace was 6:48. Delighted.

park run pb (no 5k as it was 3.04 miles) was 21:38.

Small run back to the car.

Sunday: herself was in work so I had to get the long run done in the afternoon. Plan was 17miles but after giving the park run a lash I reduced it to 15 miles. Gave the pace a bit more aggression on this one at 9:47.

One more week before taper but with covid19 about to blow up both in work and in general, thinking about races these days seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done on the parkrun PB F! You're motoring nicely at the moment - it's great to see

Just checking in!!

Manchester April 6th...officially still on but will be off unless England's Public Health policy makers have lost their minds!!

Back up plan A: Balbriggan EOI Marathon March 28th... cancelled!

Back up plan B: Pop up race marathon in Kildare..still on as far as I know but Popup races have cancelled all events up to end of March.

It was a very good training block, lots of PBs (5k, 10k, 10 mile and half marathon PB's all in 15 weeks!) which is great to have something to show for the training.

Looks like it will be DCM2020.....hopefully!

.....stay safe out there......and wash your hands!

I've a 20 mile run to get done at the weekend to finish the training block....

On the assumption I will be allowed to run outdoors after this evening's announcement....I'm running 26.2 miles early Saturday morning!No virtual race medal, no t-shirt....just a run to complete a training cycle.

Concerns: Lockdown stopping me getting out, impact of 26.2 miles on the immune system in the current climate...but I wont be leaving the house Saturday or Sunday hopefully.

Route: I was going to run two circuits of the race series half marathon route in Phoenix Park but logistically etc I think I will run two out and backs from my house to Santry M50 flyover (6.5 miles each way) and back with a little bit added on at the end. There are not too many traffic lights and people traffic will be light early Saturday.

I have been tapering the last 10 days so far but as my phone is crap I haven't been able to load to Garmin or Strava.....but I promise I did do some running....new phone hopefully on its way before Thursday.

Fuel: Maurten gels*3, (will carry a spare) 200ml beetroot juice day before, 200ml beetroot juice Saturday morning, a nice breakfast of wheetabix, bagel and a banana (I might take the banana with me or collect on first loop back to house just before halfway). I might try and source a caffeine gel but haven't yet.

Pace: Even 9:00 min miles....it's going to be tough to maintain on my own...will see how it goes. Social distancing protocols will be applied.

Have I completely lost the plot.....probably....will I give it my best shot....absolutely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

It's out there now F!

I personally don't think ya are crazy, you put so much work in since before Christmas in the Manchester Marathon plan and have raised your standards again from DCM.
    Thought you were a cert to go sub 4 at Manchester and while what's basically a solo TT will be tough mentally you can definitely do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think you're crazy lol but I can understand the need to do it when you've followed the training cycle through. There is no doubt you are well capable of keeping 9:00 min/m for 26.2, i imagine it will be a lot harder mentally to do on a solo run than in an event but i think you've got this! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I think you've got this one, F. Best of luck to you. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck F. It's a great idea to finish off the training plan! Have a great run.

What do I have to do to be allowed run a marathon ffs!

In light of the Taoiseach’s announcement....I’m officially finished this training block.

Stay safe and do as the Chief Medical Officer says!

I ran a 20mile MP run this morning all within 2k of the house, was hoping to get to 26.2 but it was tough to find the motivation.

Happy to close this training block and take me rest time now.

Advertisement