Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what time will you be back at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Re thoughts on hills every Thursday...only if Wednesday is an easy run. I see your plan has lots of 'stuff' on Wednesdays, don't follow that will hills the next day. It's too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

To add to that, while there is a place for hills is everyone's training, I don't think doing them every week is wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Great, Thanks for that - will rethink that one again re hills

Belfast training WK 9: a mixed bag of emotions this week!

Monday rest day
    Tuesday: 5.7miles at easy pace of 10:20. Felt good, no issues. Always like this run as it kicks off another weeks training block.

Wednesday: plan was 30min tempo, to keep the miles up I did a few miles warm up and cool down. The 30min tempo run at 8:30 pace was really enjoyable, confidence was high.....I loved this session, I was buzzing.

Thursday: 5:9miles at easy pace of 10:11. Not sure how or why, human nature or my own ingrained issues, but with 2 miles left of this run, it started with the negative thoughts of not having enough miles/training done. It’s weird the way it just sneaks up on you like that......at 7am..... on a cold spring morning....on (Swords) Main Street.

Friday: rest day

Saturday: plan called for 60 easy, but because of Thursdays mind games I added on 20 mins and did 80mins (7.8miles) easy at 10:11. I think/know now that this was a silly mistake to make this long into a plan. Left foot was getting sore again having not bothered me for a week, and the legs are feeling very heavy/dead Saturday afternoon. I didn’t soak my foot in Epsom salts- but I should have. I feel I neglected a warning sign.

Sunday: plan was a 90min progression run but again I added on nearly 2 miles either side of the c.10 mile session to keep my miles “up”. Silly in hindsight. The foot was bothering me now mentally and physically.

The session itself was tough, legs were still feeling heavy. 30 min Easy pace seemed like a struggle, the 30min moderate pace flew by as I turned back from portmarnock and the 30min tempo (tried to keep it at 8:40) pace was tough against a strong headwind.

Sunday moan: i try to say hello to any runners I meet when I’m out running, so many don’t even grunt back these days (today was an especially low return for even a grunt back)....what’s wrong with a smile or a nod or a wave in return? I hope it annoys them that I dared to say good morning to them.

The cool down miles were really sore and tiring- couldn’t wait to get home.

The scrambled egg post run was all I could think of.

Drinking the tailwind “rebuild” stuff- it tastes disgusting but I’m sure it’s doing some good!

Weekly miles this week: 39.4 ( that missing .6mile bugged me for a few hours!)

I think the foot is just suffering from a few tough weeks, I always feel Monday is a great recouperating day so I’ll see/debate if it needs a professional look tomorrow night after kids running coaching/babysitting.

Will be booking a sports massage in the next week or so pre marathon.

Amazing how confidence can be lost so quickly, this time last week I was buzzing for the week ahead.

“Only 3” tough weeks left before it’s taper time. Onwards and upwards.....looking forward to Wednesday speed session already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd always add warm-up and cooldown to sessions, i.e. the Wednesday and Saturday runs. Typically 15 minutes of both warm-up and cooldown. Nothing wrong with taking Tuesday off this week if you think the foot needs an extra day's rest.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'd always add warm-up and cooldown to sessions, i.e. the Wednesday and Saturday runs. Typically 15 minutes of both warm-up and cooldown. Nothing wrong with taking Tuesday off this week if you think the foot needs an extra day's rest.

Yeah, might do, cheers Mr. G. I’ll see how tomorrow feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Not intending to be glib or flippant, F, but I reckon you are bang on the timeframe for doubts. Try trust the plan. It will work!

juke wrote: »
    Not intending to be glib or flippant, F, but I reckon you are bang on the timeframe for doubts. Try trust the plan. It will work!

Thank j- and fair play to you for getting out today, hopefully it’s positive for you from here on out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

Sunday moan: i try to say hello to any runners I meet when I’m out running, so many don’t even grunt back these days (today was an especially low return for even a grunt back)....what’s wrong with a smile or a nod or a wave in return? I hope it annoys them that I dared to say good morning to them.

I totally agree with you. I smile or at least nod at every runner and generally walkers too and amazing the amount that don’t acknowledge me back.

Mind that foot.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I totally agree with you. I smile or at least nod at every runner and generally walkers too and amazing the amount that don’t acknowledge me back.

Mind that foot.

Thanks K- will do!

Maybe they are too much in “the zone” to nod back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Thanks K- will do!

Maybe they are too much in “the zone” to nod back!

No, just rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Mind that foot!! Just the point about runners not acknowledging you, it’s totally the opposite here with nearly every runner you meet having a few words or big smile or wave. The way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

juke wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. You're right in the meat of the plan and probably exhausted. You've put in some lovely consistent training. Mind the foot and trust all your hard work to date.

Thanks H- appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Great training going on in these parts F.
    I'm sure I was at around your stage in the plan when I began to start doubting everything I was doing. It's horrible but normal. You have put in some solid training. Trust it.
    I hope the foot is behaving itself. You know not to ignore the little warning signs.

I say hi to everyone I pass too!

Appreciate that L.

Yeah, the arch of my left foot was very sore after yesterday's session so took today off and hopefully it will be fine for the weekend LSR and easy session.

I wore a good arch support insole yesterday so hopefully that helps (damn you flat feet!), I also iced it for awhile last night watching the last episode of Dirty John on Netflix (I still cant get my head around that fact that it was all a true story!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just spotted your log now. Looking forward to reading it and following your progress. :)

Belfast wk10 update: time is really flying by.

Could probably sum up the entire week training wise in one word: worry!!

Monday: to try and start the week positive, for the first time I tried a 20 min core routine watching a video off of YouTube, I think I enjoyed it, strange but enjoyable! Was going to try and do it again Thursday or Friday this week but just didn’t get a chance so will try again tomorrow

Tuesday: plan called for 60min easy but decided to just leave it at 50mins, pace was 10:10, mileage was 4.9. Annoyed at myself too, heading out early has it’s advantages but sometimes your brain is still asleep and I forgot to put the arch support in my runners- foot was uncomfortable

Wednesday: didn’t forget the arch support. Plan was 5*8min at threshold pace with 4 min jog between each. This also included a warm up and cool down. Definitely got the watch set up correctly which was a great life achievement!

I have to say these Wednesday sessions are so enjoyable, maybe causes it’s “speed” compared to all the easy runs or the fact you have different combinations to do during the session im not sure, but loved that session. The foot was uncomfortable but I was getting through the sessions.

I was icing it every night this week, but I think it’s the arch support that’s helping.

The session took over 75mins, now running completely late for work and that always unsettles me as I’m such a nutcase for punctuality.

Thursday: I decided to take the session off, the guilt I felt was unreal, but just figured an extra day off before the weekend would help get the weekend tough session done.

Friday:
    worried,just worried, every negative running/racing thought passes through my brain when im in this frame of mind.

I had a few drinks too this week....stupid!

Saturday: there was lots on and to do today as well as a mother’s day lie on for my wife to be slotted in too so I switched the weekend sessions.

Was on the road early for the planned 2.5hr easy pace session. Arch support was definitely helping. Lots of hellos from runners and walkers too- Maybe i may have over reacted last week!

The session was good, as I missed Thursdays run I decided to make it tougher and I ran 5 miles (miles 3 to 8) at Marathon pace. I think those 5 miles did my confidence the world of good. Was very tired after the run but worth it.

The views on the run are fantastic out by the Swords estuary and to portmarnock strand and back.

Total miles for the session was 15.6miles- worth it!

In bed at 9:30pm!

Sunday: happy mother’s day! Got out for my 60min easy at 9:20am (not too bad a compromise!). The arch support is definitely helping.

Weekly miles: 35miles (not bad considering the Thursday session was missed)

An interesting week session ahead, with “only” a 60min tempo run at the weekend.

Oh and my race number arrived in the post, no better feeling to get you buzzing than seeing that race number.

This has been a great week of running, felt strong throughout the week, foot a lot better.

Monday: rest day
    Tuesday: starting the week nice and early, but the cold temps was savage this morning.

60 mins: 6miles done at 9:55 pace. Have been feeling a bit of plan “fatigue” last few days, natural I know this many weeks into the plan. Starting to look forward to the post Marathon running break now.

Wednesday: plan was 90min easy pace- actual miles was just over 9miles and pace was 9:58. With mental boredom kicking in I “freshened” up my run this morning by running my name- best 5 mins of a run I’ve had in awhile- giggling like an idiot thinking about it. I’ll try and attach my “effort”.

Felt great throughout this “longish” run. Very positive run.

It was still bitterly cold in the mornings.

Thursday: plan was for 60mins but just did 54mins as time was against me. Nothing of note on this run. 5.5miles at 9:55.

Friday: rest day

Saturday: plan was for 60mins but thinking I needed some extra miles this week I ran an extra 20mins. Miles covered were 8miles and pace was 9:54. Foot felt “tired” and sore in the afternoon- a trip to blanchardstown shopping centre to get myself a suit for the eldest daughters communion wasn’t the best post recovery. Bed very early.

Sunday: plan was for 60min tempo. Went a bit off plan pace and time wise here but it was just going so well and it was a gorgeous morning weather wise.

Ran 2 miles warm up and just short of 2 miles cool down.
    I ran 70 mins tempo and miles covered was 8.2.

The pace was on the fast side at 8:33 per mile but it was a very good strong training run.

Total miles this week was 40.7- a milestone for me as it’s the first time I’ve gone over 40 in a week. Delighted.

I use tailwind rather than gels during the long runs and races. I bought a camelbak water type bag in heatons. I don’t want to carry a bottle during my marathon. Used it today and I liked it. One issue was the first sip is air- a slight concern doing that during a marathon will cramp me but I’ve a 3 hr run next Sunday so I’ll see how it goes during that.

So again another good week and one last “tough” week of running left to go before tapering down.

There is no tracker set up for Belfast- a bit disappointing for the family not being able to see how I’m getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I use tailwind rather than gels during the long runs and races. I bought a camelbak water type bag in heatons. I don’t want to carry a bottle during my marathon. Used it today and I liked it. One issue was the first sip is air- a slight concern doing that during a marathon will cramp me but I’ve a 3 hr run next Sunday so I’ll see how it goes during that.

I'm sure you're aware, but some marathons don't allow Camelbaks or only allow Camelbaks of a certain size.

There is no tracker set up for Belfast- a bit disappointing for the family not being able to see how I’m getting on.

And your fellow Grads!

Nice week. Well done.

• Advertisement

thanks for the heads up, I don't see anything on the race T&C's but will email them, cheers.

And to clarify.....my fellow grads are part of my family....that's a given! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

And to clarify.....my fellow grads are part of my family....that's a given! :D

Glad to see we've been promoted from 'weird internet running friends' status. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Good on ya starting a log. I'm impressed with myself that I found it in such a short space of time :o Your training looks to be going really well. Hope the foot is feeling better. I know at this stage the body is feeling very beat up. Personally I love tapering, cant wait for it!

Good on ya starting a log. I'm impressed with myself that I found it in such a short space of time :o Your training looks to be going really well. Hope the foot is feeling better. I know at this stage the body is feeling very beat up. Personally I love tapering, cant wait for it!

Thanks very much strawberry, yeah training going well so far. Not feeling too bad at the minute.

So the big final week of running arrived! I've been feeling running/plan fatigue the last week or so, so I knew if once I get through this week, it will be all downhill to the race.

Monday: rest day!

Tuesday: Plan was for 60mins, only got 50mins in as I was in a rush with work. Pace was 10.05min miles. Nothing really to say here, just another run ticked off the plan.

Wednesday: I had a meeting at 8am in rathgar, so no chance of an early run. I don't know why but going the entire day waiting to run doesn't suit me at all. The plan was 75min moderate pace. Headed down to Swords estuary at about 6pm, lots of runners out. Got 8miles done at 9:28min miles. Feeling stronger with each run.

Thursday: I knew running again so close to night before I would be feeling some tiredness so rather than the planned 60mins I only did 50min at easy pace of 10:14min miles....was looking forward to my Friday rest day now!

Friday: rest day- mentally, this was the day that I was starting to get angstie thinking about the Sunday last long run

Saturday: A nice easy 60min run ahead of Sundays long run, pace was 10:04min miles. The Sunday run is now all consuming. We had two easter egg hunts today for the kids in the two sets of grandparents house as we are away in Wexford next weekend. Had no chocolate but just the biggest lump of Apple tart!!! Drinking water most of the day. Big bowl of pasta around 6pm ahead of the next day.

Never checked the weather for Dublin once as I was too busy checking the weather for a friend running Connamarathon (its definitely on the bucket list, looks savage!)

Sunday: Woke as normal at 6.30am, bowl of wheetabix and a banana, got the hydration and jelly babies packed and off I went.

Plan was 3hr run, but I wanted to get 20miles into me so I knew I would be out longer. The girls headed off to Dumbo so I knew my wife wouldn't be cracking up in the house.

Actual: 20.77miles at 10:06 min miles!

It was such an enjoyable run, the wind was really strong on the coast at Portmarnock, pushing me out of my stride several times (this will stand to me I kept repeating!!). I ran a few "quicker" miles late on at pace around 9:45- felt grand. I really didn't feel the distance in my legs till about 18miles in- really happy about this. All in all a great last run before taper.

Running with music really helps distract me: some highlights yesterday: Rage Against the Machine-Sleep now in the fire, Edwin Starr- War, Talking Heads- Psycho Killer and Wolfmother-Woman.

Got home and ate everything around me, and waited for the results from my fellow novices to come in from the GIR- amazing PB's from so many in tough conditions!

So that's it, the training block almost complete, tapering down now.

Body check: not too bad, soreness in the legs but I'd expect that after yesterday. My first sports massage or "leg loosener" on Tuesday night. Feet seem good since I got the arch support.

Some questions:
    What "solid" food do people eat during a marathon- felt a little hungry yesterday, so just curious?
    Next Sundays plan is for 2hours- this feels a bit too much at the minute- any harm running just 90mins?
    The tempo run this week is 30mins-should I still run the warm up and cool down miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great week F and rounded out with a great long run, well done! You're sure putting in the hard work :)

With your questions..I've never tried solid food purposely during a marathon but did have a jaffa cake in Limerick for the craic :p
    I'd say go with whatever you think you need in terms of the long run next week. Maybe think back to how you felt that far out before DCM; did you think you needed more rest before D-Day etc?
    I'd say definitely keep the warm-up and cool down, maybe shorten them by 5 mins if you're worried about fatigue but once you keep them easy enough I wouldn't worry so much?

Cheers V

Might carry a few fredo bars with me so.....don't want to be getting hangry at mile 17.....I'm not myself when I'm hungry!

The tempo run makes sense, and yeah I might cut the 2hrs back a little, thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Are you still planning on tailwind for the day? That should keep you filled up. I’ve never felt hungry during a marathon taking gels regularly besides my first when I didn’t take them often enough.

Agree with V on the warm up and cool down etc. Shorten them if necessary but do them and make them very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi F. I was just looking at your questions above. Firstly on the food question... remember you will be well stocked with carbs in the few days before the marathon. I'd stick with tailwind or your chosen gels rather than risk trying solid foods on the day if eating solids isn't something you have trialled on long runs during the plan.

As for the long run... I would just repeat my favourite bits of advice, trust the plan and also to slow it down.

The taper is well planned. You will recover over the next couple of weeks. If you are concerned about fatigue I would slow the run and do the full two hours. Remember that with a 9:09 target pace there is no problem with doing the long run at 10:30/11:00 mins per mile. You don't need to be keeping it around 10 min even as your 20 miler was.

Best of luck in Belfast. Trust the taper. These weeks are the time when your mind plays tricks with you and you might wonder have you undertrained, the next day be thinking that you undertrained! It's a good plan which you have followed with great diligence...now finish it out and run well in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys,
    Yeah, it’s not as if I’m going to be cracking open a ham sambo at mile 17.....although!!!!

In hindsight, I’m sure I can “survive” without food for 4+ hours, can’t I? Ha ha.

Yeah, I’ll be on the tailwind for the Marathon rather than gels, as much as it’s possible to enjoy, I’m “enjoying” it.

Yeah, re plan, I ran a tempo run yesterday with a warm up and cool down, so probably just some maranoia kicking in. And yeah I’ll do the full 2hrs on Sunday too, the question was probably based on feeling tired post the last long run.

Thanks again

Advertisement