Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade/new Pc

Options
  • 13-03-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I want to put together a pc for the kids. It will be mainly used for browsing/youtube. One of the kids has aspirations for some small animation software. Top graphics is not too important. Perhaps something that could play fortnite on medium settings.

I have some old parts that should be ok. I dont know if I should scrap them and go a second hand adverts build or ebay system.

1. What is your budget? 300-400 Euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Browsing, gaming on medium settings.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Gembird Atx/Btx Power supply (500w) (never used)

G.Skill DDR2 8GB & Exceleram 2x2GB pc-8500
    Intel i7-950 3.6ghz (mobo gigabyte qpi 6.4dt/s )

intel Q6600 2.4ghz (mobo asus p5ql pro )

Radeon HD6870

5. Do you need a monitor? yes. cheapo second hand is fine

5a. If yes, what size do you need. No preference.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? I will need a keyboard and mouse also connection to internet, powerline or wifi? I will also need a desktop case

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? yes

8. How can you pay? Visa-debit or Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No thanks

So what are my options. I would love a new build if budget allows but I have no problem going second hand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just get something new like this, run Fortnite at ultra settings effortlessly.

All your old parts are pretty useless to be honest, between being very outdated, incompatiable, etc. You could sling together the i7-950 build with the 6870 but that PSU is really poor. The build above is a bit over budget but light years ahead of the i7-950/6870 combo, current gen stuff, and fully upgradable for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks terror. When I add the cost of a monitor and shipping it's a bit on the steep side. Can it be tweaked?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't. i5-750 is hopelessly outdated, and there's almost zero upgrade path apart from to 1st gen i7 which is still very outdated.

I would say offer €250 or so for that, and if you get it, great.

I wouldn't. i5-750 is hopelessly outdated, and there's almost zero upgrade path apart from to 1st gen i7 which is still very outdated.

I would say offer €250 or so for that, and if you get it, great.

Derp, misread the CPU.

• Advertisement

Just get something new like this, run Fortnite at ultra settings effortlessly.

All your old parts are pretty useless to be honest, between being very outdated, incompatiable, etc. You could sling together the i7-950 build with the 6870 but that PSU is really poor. The build above is a bit over budget but light years ahead of the i7-950/6870 combo, current gen stuff, and fully upgradable for years to come.

I think I can stretch the budget a little. This seems like a decent build alright. Im just comparing it off similar builds on pcpartpicker.

I think I can stretch the budget a little. This seems like a decent build alright. Im just comparing it off similar builds on pcpartpicker.

Going like-for-like, AWD are cheaper than self-build & you get a newer CPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£61.78 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£56.94 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston - FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£51.87 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£27.48 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 8 GB GAMING 8G Video Card (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: RIOTORO - CR488 ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.21 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£43.07 @ Aria PC)
    Other: GPU on CEX (£61.25)
    Total: £484.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-14 12:59 GMT+0000

On AWD, upgrade the GPU to RX 570 8Gb - only +£5 but you get 2 free games & a better GPU.
    If you want to overclock the CPU (highly recommended), also upgrade the motherboard to B450 (+£15).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Going like-for-like, AWD are cheaper than self-build & you get a newer CPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£61.78 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£56.94 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston - FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£51.87 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£27.48 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 8 GB GAMING 8G Video Card (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: RIOTORO - CR488 ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.21 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£43.07 @ Aria PC)
    Other: GPU on CEX (£61.25)
    Total: £484.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-14 12:59 GMT+0000

On AWD, upgrade the GPU to RX 570 8Gb - only +£5 but you get 2 free games & a better GPU.
    If you want to overclock the CPU (highly recommended), also upgrade the motherboard to B450 (+£15).

Thank you ko Kiki. I'll have a look this evening.

Regarding wifi. It will be based in the attic which has decent wifi coverage. Is it better to opt for an external WiFi card or a USB dongle?

Also what are the shipping options for AWD. Should I use parcel wizard etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Regarding wifi. It will be based in the attic which has decent wifi coverage. Is it better to opt for an external WiFi card or a USB dongle?

Also what are the shipping options for AWD. Should I use parcel wizard etc?

My advice on WiFi is don’t. If you have a card or usb dongle lying around by all means use it but I can assure you it’s not work the hassle long term to invest in.

I’ve my rig, the kids, a media server and an old Xbox 360 as a media player. I tried every avenue you can name. Even so far as flashing routers with open source firmware to turn them into Wireless recivers. In the end I gave up and went with power line adapters. I was so happy I did the same for my mother (sky boxes, one computer). Never looked back.

At this stage there are at least two phones and a smattering of laptops or tablets in every house. You just simply run out of bandwidth from time to time. And not to mention all the weird bugs you get with WiFi. Never really works 100%. Especially in a house full of devices. Power line adapters are complete fire and forget.

I’d recommend Parcel Wizard. They deliver to your door. An Post and a similar service but haven’t used it yet.

• Advertisement

Thanks coyler. I do have a spare power line so I'll just use that. I'll most likely order the PC tonight.

Advertisement