Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended a Basic Mountain Bike on Bike2Work for an Obese Female?

Options
  • 14-03-2019 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a Female who currently weighs approx 15 stone. I'm looking to buy a mountain bike on the bike to work scheme soon.
    Any ideas on whats good but basic?

Budget: €700 Max

This bike will just be for short commutes and exercise to lose weight.

Looking for mountain bike as I think it holds my weight better from past experience.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Hi,
    I'm a Female who currently weighs approx 15 stone. I'm looking to buy a mountain bike on the bike to work scheme soon.

Looking for mountain bike as I think it holds my weight better from past experience.

Thanks

A trek marlin 7 wsd perhaps. Beautiful looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

You should go for a comfortable bike, it doesn't need to be a mountain bike, a decent touring bike would be a better bet.

Try a Cube Touring or similar, I have one, weigh over 17 stone and it's seriously comfortable. The front suspension forks are excellent in town. I have the electric version of this, its very comfortable https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=129875

Best thing is to go to the shop and try them out for size as no two bikes fit exactly the same. Consider a tyre upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon Plus or similar for puncture protection and an adjustable stem like this https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ritchey/Adjustable-Road-Stem-p15863/bb-black-100-mm-40-32--o209907009/ for added comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Avoid suspension as much as possible as the cheaper suspension bikes are crap.

This Cannondale and this Giant look like possibilities. The Giant will take nice wide tyres for comfort and has the traditional ladies bike step through frame but the Cannondale will be a nicer bike for when you get hooked, get fitter and want to ride further..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Hi,

Thanks

Just a point - a good percentage of the people you'd see out on a roadbike on a Sunday are well in excess of 15 stone - myself included! So that's not really a significant enough issue to need a particular type of bike - buy what feels comfortable & enjoy it! I converted to bike commuting in August & haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You probably want a hybrid bike or city bike more than an MTB. Look for something with mudguards, carrier /rack, dynamo lighting for easy commute. I don't think your weight should be an issue, but you can always check the spec online before you decide. A good local bike shop is worth it's weight in gold. Find a shop near work or near home a see what they recommend.

How about this?

https://www.bikesorbicycles.com/product/scott-sub-sport-30-ladies/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭rolling boh

go to a good local bike shop and you should get suitable advice ,you should get a chance to try a few bikes,with your budget you should be able to get a decent enough brand .You may not need a mountain bike if you get to like cycling even just to get fit a lighter bike would be better and will take your weight no problem .stick to the well known make of bikes though good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

...and stop being hard on yourself. Labels dont make us feel great, but bikes do !

Best of luck with the venture, whatever you choose

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

15 Stone is pretty much nothing for bikes. So don't let that limit you.
    More important is comfort. I would recommend a hybrid, as it is comfortable , and if you fancier longer cycles (which will probably happen) you will be well set up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Just a point - a good percentage of the people you'd see out on a roadbike on a Sunday are well in excess of 15 stone - myself included! So that's not really a significant enough issue to need a particular type of bike - buy what feels comfortable & enjoy it! I converted to bike commuting in August & haven't looked back since.
    I'm a good percentage over that myself and have a trek hybrid, I never considered it an issue. I use Dublin Bikes and Bleeper Bike too without issue.

Best of luck OP and fair play to you.

Advertisement