Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Router for Siro

Options
  • 14-03-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey guys,

I got Siro installed with Vodafone. The Gigabox is a piece of ****. It constantly drops devices link ring doorbells and wemo plugs off the network, and requires a reboot. I do however get a nice 450/500mb speed on 5ghz wifi on it.

I'm looking to totally get rid of the Gigabox and connect directly to the ONT.

What router would you suggest, that would give me a good 5ghz speed like the Gigabox.

I've used Mikrotik in the past, however it's configuration can be a bit intense and I find it hard to get wifi working to it's full potential.

Thanks!
    Dara
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Fritz!Box routers, that other SIRO providers use (at least Airwire, Carnsore Broadband, Digiweb and Westnet) gives you that sort of speeds on 5GHz .. and is a far better router.

Airwire also sell these to non-customers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You can pick the fritz box up on amazon too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It's home broadband, so any soho grade router with Gigabit Ethernet ports will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's home broadband, so any soho grade router with Gigabit Ethernet ports will do.

Not really. It has to be capable of vlan tagging the wan interface. And that's not something every router can.

Also: Gbit/s interfaces does not mean, that the router can process Gbit/s throughput. Take Virgin Medias router. The Cisco one. It'll barely do the 360 Mbit/s .... can't handle the 500 Mbit/s. But it has Gbit/s interfaces.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Marlow wrote: »
    Not really. It has to be capable of vlan tagging the wan interface. And that's not something every router can.

Also: Gbit/s interfaces does not mean, that the router can process Gbit/s throughput. Take Virgin Medias router. The Cisco one. It'll barely do the 360 Mbit/s .... can't handle the 500 Mbit/s. But it has Gbit/s interfaces.

/M

Right so you need a cisco 2911 then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dg92

Ended up going with an Archer C7. Working perfect - thanks for the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

dg92 wrote: »
    Ended up going with an Archer C7. Working perfect - thanks for the recommendations.
    is this
    the one you got?

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    is this
    the one you got?

Yep it is. Ended up going to Currys to grab it as the amazon ones are version 1 of the router, and it doesn’t support vlan tagging. Curry’s has version 4/5. It’s working perfect.

Yep it is. Ended up going to Currys to grab it as the amazon ones are version 1 of the router, and it doesn’t support vlan tagging. Curry’s has version 4/5. It’s working perfect.
    Thanks.
    Is it just a matter of switching the boxes and putting the voda
    User Name: vodafone@vodafone.ie Password: broadband into the c7?

Also is this router good for a lot of devices in the house, 3 pc's, 7 smartphones, 2 playstations, 1 xbox, 2 ring devices, smart lights, plugs, thermostat?
    Or would I need something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What wireless speeds are you getting?

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Is it just a matter of switching the boxes and putting the voda
    User Name: vodafone@vodafone.ie Password: broadband into the c7?

Also is this router good for a lot of devices in the house, 3 pc's, 7 smartphones, 2 playstations, 1 xbox, 2 ring devices, smart lights, plugs, thermostat?
    Or would I need something better.

No worries. The username is yourgigaboxserialnumber@vfieftth.ie and the password is broadband. You then need to go into the IPTV menu, click advanced and set the vlan id to 10. It connects near enough straight away then.

I have about the same amount of devices connected and it works perfect!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What wireless speeds are you getting?

Right beside it on 5ghz i'm getting 500mb. Plugged in it's getting 1.2gb on Speedtest.net

No worries. The username is yourgigaboxserialnumber@vfieftth.ie and the password is broadband. You then need to go into the IPTV menu, click advanced and set the vlan id to 10. It connects near enough straight away then.

I have about the same amount of devices connected and it works perfect!
    Thanks for that. Heading down to curry's now.

Do I still need the Vodafone box. Or does this replace it.

Do I still need the Vodafone box. Or does this replace it.

That replaces it.

Using this for 6 weeks now, it is unbelievable, the difference is night and day.
    Smart home devices work constantly now, sky mini boxes are flawless, wifi perfect. Haven't had to reboot the router once.
    Why do vodafone provide such a dog sh1t device with a top quality service, the mind boggles...:confused::confused:

Using this for 6 weeks now, it is unbelievable, the difference is night and day.
    Smart home devices work constantly now, sky mini boxes are flawless, wifi perfect. Haven't had to reboot the router once.
    Why do vodafone provide such a dog sh1t device with a top quality service, the mind boggles...:confused::confused:

I’m super happy with it also! Highly recommend to anyone who wants to get rid of the Vodafone gigabox. Most useless router ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Hi Lads
    Would this router do the same?
    replace the gigbox. Not sure about Vlan tagging and how that works

Thanks
    EXO AC2600 MU‑MIMO Wi‑Fi Router

Nope, it would not replace the Gigabox. It's just a router rather than a modem.
    Sup08 wrote: »
    Hi Lads
    Would this router do the same?
    replace the gigbox. Not sure about Vlan tagging and how that works

Thanks
    EXO AC2600 MU‑MIMO Wi‑Fi Router

Thanks but isn't the Archer C7 just a router as well?

What would be the difference with the one I suggested. It has VLAN ID for internet and login details.

• Advertisement

Nope, The Archer C7 is a modem also.

If you take a look at the answer section on Amazon, you'll see someone asked and the answer was that it is just a router and not a Modem.
    Thanks but isn't the Archer C7 just a router as well?

What would be the difference with the one I suggested. It has VLAN ID for internet and login details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

You don’t need a modem on Siro, you can connect a router straight to the ONT. It will need to support VLAN tagging and if you get phone from Vodafone too it won’t work (and possibly their TV service too).

You don’t need a modem on Siro, you can connect a router straight to the ONT. It will need to support VLAN tagging and if you get phone from Vodafone too it won’t work (and possibly their TV service too).

Thanks, I think it does
    Says it has triple play VLAN.

From the website
    Triple Play VLAN allows support for ISPs who offer a multi-service plan. Services such as Internet, voice (VoIP), and video (IPTV) can connect with a single WAN connection and you can then separate each channel to a specific port. For example, you can set all VoIP traffic to port 4 on the router and then connect any VoIP devices to that port.
    Step 5: Click either VLAN Settings or Status to Enable.

Step 6: Enter the VLAN ID (supplied by your ISP) for each service. You can enable Priority ID and select from the drop-down for each service. Under Interface Traffic Type Settings, assign a service to a LAN port on the router. Click Save.

I don't have a phone or their tv service

Well got it delivered this morning and working perfect. Just get the right settings for best wireless speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nope, The Archer C7 is a modem also.

If you take a look at the answer section on Amazon, you'll see someone asked and the answer was that it is just a router and not a Modem.

What modulation-demodulaion is it doing and why would it need to for SIRO?
    Isn't it the job of the ONT to do this work for FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Is the Archer C7 still the best alternative to the Vodafone Gigabox?

Will all services (phone, tv & broadband) work with this router?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I successfully replaced my Gigabox router with a ubiquiti edgerouter x. Network inside the house is a lot more stable now. My wireless is now done with TP-LINK EAP225v3s which are spread out around the house.

I had to manually enable HWNAT offloading on the edgerouter to get full gigabit speed but it's working well.

WAN+2LAN2 from wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dukelamonty

Hi Folks,
    Curry's currently advertise the Archer C7 online at this link: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-c7-wireless-cable-router-ac-1750-dual-band-21472770-pdt.html
    I can't see anything to indicate that it's version 4 or 5 as opposed to an older version that may not work. Would anyone know from appearance or any of the limited list of specs provided on the Curry's listing? I do note that it is reduced in price relative to the price in Sept-Oct-Nov last year which makes me worried it may be older versions from older stock.
    I've emailed Curry's support but in the current lockdown I'm not over-optimistic of a prompt, well-informed reply ... if any reply at all.
    - PeterG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hi Folks,
    Curry's currently advertise the Archer C7 online at this link: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-c7-wireless-cable-router-ac-1750-dual-band-21472770-pdt.html
    I can't see anything to indicate that it's version 4 or 5 as opposed to an older version that may not work. Would anyone know from appearance or any of the limited list of specs provided on the Curry's listing? I do note that it is reduced in price relative to the price in Sept-Oct-Nov last year which makes me worried it may be older versions from older stock.
    I've emailed Curry's support but in the current lockdown I'm not over-optimistic of a prompt, well-informed reply ... if any reply at all.
    - PeterG.

Just get the C8 I've a C8 on VM with the VM router in modem mode, it's a fantastic router, never had a bother with it. You won't need to use your ISP supplied router you can just use it on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dukelamonty

Thanks. Do you use the C8 with Siro. From the discussions above, there seems to be a requirement to support VLANs in order for Siro to work.
    Regards,
    PeterG.

Advertisement