Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copy of Eir Fibre Contract

Options
  • 14-03-2019 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

So I'm on the Direct debit page going through the steps to make an order for 300mbs fibre.
    Before I am given the contract's terms and conditions there is a request to agree to direct debit t&c's.

I want to see all of the contract download limits, how to cancel etc...everything about the contract which I am entering into before I agree to eir having a right to dip away at my bank account. 

So I open the chat window to "Chat to an eir expert"....biggets mistake ever...20 mins of my life wasted. 

First the girl wrote in pigeon English but no problem, I just stated that I was buying the 300mbs product and asked for a copy of the contracts terms and conditions before buying. Easy right?
    Nope after a backwards and forwards of her telling me to just enter the bank details anyway, and her posting links to an IBAN checker and Eir's privacy policy, and after 4 times asking for supervisor she told me no supervisor was available.
    I'm then told to agree to the contract and call 1901 to find out what it is... Seriously !!

Of course eir have a trash costumer service reputation, you totally lack any kind of reasonable staff training in this Dep at least.

The most basic of requests to review a contract before agreeing to it could not be fulfilled. 

Can you please post or pm a link to the 300mps fibre contract so I see what you are asking me to agree to. I don't want to be back here asking questions and getting answers I don't like, as in time I realise eir might have bound me to something which I was not aware of at the time of signing. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

cencglob wrote: »
    So I'm on the Direct debit page going through the steps to make an order for 300mbs fibre.
    Before I am given the contract's terms and conditions there is a request to agree to direct debit t&c's.

I want to see all of the contract download limits, how to cancel etc...everything about the contract which I am entering into before I agree to eir having a right to dip away at my bank account. 

So I open the chat window to "Chat to an eir expert"....biggets mistake ever...20 mins of my life wasted. 

First the girl wrote in pigeon English but no problem, I just stated that I was buying the 300mbs product and asked for a copy of the contracts terms and conditions before buying. Easy right?
    Nope after a backwards and forwards of her telling me to just enter the bank details anyway, and her posting links to an IBAN checker and Eir's privacy policy, and after 4 times asking for supervisor she told me no supervisor was available.
    I'm then told to agree to the contract and call 1901 to find out what it is... Seriously !!

Of course eir have a trash costumer service reputation, you totally lack any kind of reasonable staff training in this Dep at least.

The most basic of requests to review a contract before agreeing to it could not be fulfilled. 

Can you please post or pm a link to the 300mps fibre contract so I see what you are asking me to agree to. I don't want to be back here asking questions and getting answers I don't like, as in time I realise eir might have bound me to something which I was not aware of at the time of signing. 
    Hi cencglob, 

Sorry to hear the agent did not answer the questions that you asked. 

You can view the terms and conditions for your contract here

The general terms and conditions cover all of the plans. 

Thanks, 
    Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cencglob

Hi Grainne,

Thanks for the quick reply, but the document you've linked to is a general document and not the "contract" as referred to on the purchase page as the "12 month contract".
    Even when I read through this General terms document and open the referenced and linked pricing document I can see a discrepancy between what I am being asked for and what the pricing document states. ( Pricing Section 6.1, referencing https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/pt4.1.10.pdf shows different bundle activation fees between what I am being asked and what is stated) 
    These are obviously not the terms of the  "12 month contract" which I am being offered to enter.

Can you please look again and see if you can post a copy of the full terms for the contract described as "12 month contract - Broadband Ultra 300Mb and eir broadband talk"

While I'm chatting to you, can you please confirm that if I were enter bank details and complete the online purchase process, that no billing, would occur until the service is installed and activated in the property. 

Also that as the contract is determined as a 12 month contract, that I need to agree to continuation of the service after 12 months, and that eir does not as part of the 12 month contract, only agree that I agree to a further 12 month contract...I do not wish to sign up to what is in effect a perpetual contract, but only to 12 month one, which is what your advertising describes. I would like a 12 month contract not a perpetual contract.
    (I'd hope that I would not have to bring a case infront of the advertising standards authority). 

Thanks,

Cencglob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

Hi Grainne,

Thanks for the quick reply, but the document you've linked to is a general document and not the "contract" as referred to on the purchase page as the "12 month contract".
    Even when I read through this General terms document and open the referenced and linked pricing document I can see a discrepancy between what I am being asked for and what the pricing document states. ( Pricing Section 6.1, referencing https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/pt4.1.10.pdf shows different bundle activation fees between what I am being asked and what is stated) 
    These are obviously not the terms of the  "12 month contract" which I am being offered to enter.

Can you please look again and see if you can post a copy of the full terms for the contract described as "12 month contract - Broadband Ultra 300Mb and eir broadband talk"

While I'm chatting to you, can you please confirm that if I were enter bank details and complete the online purchase process, that no billing, would occur until the service is installed and activated in the property. 

Also that as the contract is determined as a 12 month contract, that I need to agree to continuation of the service after 12 months, and that eir does not as part of the 12 month contract, only agree that I agree to a further 12 month contract...I do not wish to sign up to what is in effect a perpetual contract, but only to 12 month one, which is what your advertising describes. I would like a 12 month contract not a perpetual contract.
    (I'd hope that I would not have to bring a case infront of the advertising standards authority). 

Thanks,

Cencglob
    Hi Cencglob, 

The terms and conditions that I provided above are the general terms and conditions for all plans. You can view the broadband terms and conditions here

These two terms and conditions are the only ones available. If you wish for me to confirm your exact terms and conditions I will need you to PM your account details.

In regard to providing your direct debit details, you will only be charged for a service once your services become active. 

When your contract ends you would be required to give 30 days notice to cancel your services. If after the 12 months have ended you will automatically enter into a rolling month by month contract. 

I hope this clears this up. 

Thanks, 
    Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"When your contract ends you would be required to give 30 days notice to cancel your services."

Not to be pedantic, but you don't have to wait for the contract to end, that would make it a 13 month contract.

You can give the 30 days notice at the start of the 11th month.

Hi Grainne,

Thanks for the above.

When you say these are the only two documents available, are you saying that somewhere contained within the these two documents that there is enough detail laid out constitute the full terms of the product eir sells as “"12 month contract - Broadband Ultra 300Mb and eir broadband talk”.

I have to say this is an extremely convoluted way of informing your costumers of the details of a product which Eir is selling.
    Even with these links there are other links which need to be followed.
    This actually means that at anytime Eir can edit the terms, and a costumer who did not download a copy at the time might find it difficult to prove their case. I wonder if Eir is fully aware of consumer protection law in this regard?

Reading the broadband terms you have linked to, 

Section 2.4 States

A. 
    "The Customer shall select the level of the Service it wishes to avail of and shall inform eir of its selection. The Customer agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions, the charges, the monthly upload and monthly download limits attaching to its selected level of the Service."

I have informed eir of the level of service, ie I have selected the service "Broadband Ultra 300Mb and eir broadband talk".

However nowhere in the stated "terms and conditions" of either of the two documents you have linked to, can I see any section regarding "the charges, the monthly upload and monthly download limits".

Can you please identify which documents and which sections to me. 

B

Reading on in 2.4,

In the event that Customer usage exceeds the download/ upload limits attaching to its selected level of the Service, eir may, without prejudice to its right to charge the Customer for the excess usage in accordance with the Service terms and conditions, may request the Customer to select a level more appropriate to its usage. In the event of the Customer refusing or neglecting to select an alternative level of the Service, eir may, upon due notice, terminate the provision of the Facility to the Customer.

Again, I can not find anywhere in the two linked documents where the "limits attaching" my "selected level of the Service" are stated.

Equally I cannot see what part of what document that are referred to by "eir may, without prejudice to its right to charge the Customer for the excess usage in accordance with the Service terms and conditions".

Where is the detail on Eir's "excess usage" charges for "Broadband Ultra 300Mb and eir broadband talk". 

How difficult would it be for eir to put together actual contracts for its products, ironically the product is sold, is sold as a contract but no actual contract exists. 
    It is an absolute farce that through a patchwork of documents that a consumer is supposed to figure out what is applicable, and even what is missing, and has to go through extensive communications with online or phone reps just to get clear basic information. 

As far as the 12 month contract thing goes, any reasonable person thinking about it, will see that what you have described is a perpetual monthly contract with a 12 month minimum term. 
    A 12 month contract would by default end at the end of month 12 and not roll over into any further term.
    Eir in my opinion, really needs to change the wording which it sells by to reflect the time periods for what they actually are, this or, either change their terms to automatically end the contract at 12 months as is the perception given by a description of a 12 months "contract" (whatever contract is supposed to mean).

The best course of action in my opinion would be rather than the current policy of hoping that people don't act before you jack their prices up after the "offers" given on the initial period expire, that the costumer would find it better to have an email or a call at 30 days reminding them that their contract will be up soon and would they like to renew. Anything else can be seen as unfair.

Please consider the last point a friendly but sincere warning to your management.
    I have a good track record of getting consumer law changed, and if there is no quick action on this point, I'll take this beyond a social media post, and do the necessary to get this brought forward to a committee for a recommendation to change the law.

While your management are at it they should also consider the legality of the whole missing contract farce I described above, - linked online PDF's scattered contracts, and educate themselves on the legal rights of consumers to full and clear information.
    If anyone challenges eir in court as from reading many of the posts here they should,  and win cases due to eir apparent failures on many points of consumer law. 

Lets hope your management will leave me with little to do, 

Regards,

Cencglob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

Hi Grainne,

Thanks for the above.

When you say these are the only two documents available, are you saying that somewhere contained within the these two documents that there is enough detail laid out constitute the full terms of the product eir sells as “"12 month contract - Broadband Ultra 300Mb and eir broadband talk”.

I have to say this is an extremely convoluted way of informing your costumers of the details of a product which Eir is selling.
    This actually means that at anytime Eir can edit the terms, and a costumer who did not download a copy at the time might find it difficult to prove their case. I wonder if Eir is fully aware of consumer protection law in this regard?

Section 2.4 States

A. 
    "The Customer shall select the level of the Service it wishes to avail of and shall inform eir of its selection. The Customer agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions, the charges, the monthly upload and monthly download limits attaching to its selected level of the Service."

I have informed eir of the level of service, ie I have selected the service "Broadband Ultra 300Mb and eir broadband talk".

However nowhere in the stated "terms and conditions" of either of the two documents you have linked to, can I see any section regarding "the charges, the monthly upload and monthly download limits".

B

Reading on in 2.4,

In the event that Customer usage exceeds the download/ upload limits attaching to its selected level of the Service, eir may, without prejudice to its right to charge the Customer for the excess usage in accordance with the Service terms and conditions, may request the Customer to select a level more appropriate to its usage. In the event of the Customer refusing or neglecting to select an alternative level of the Service, eir may, upon due notice, terminate the provision of the Facility to the Customer.

Again, I can not find anywhere in the two linked documents where the "limits attaching" my "selected level of the Service" are stated.

Equally I cannot see what part of what document that are referred to by "eir may, without prejudice to its right to charge the Customer for the excess usage in accordance with the Service terms and conditions".

Where is the detail on Eir's "excess usage" charges for "Broadband Ultra 300Mb and eir broadband talk". 

How difficult would it be for eir to put together actual contracts for its products, ironically the product is sold, is sold as a contract but no actual contract exists. 
    It is an absolute farce that through a patchwork of documents that a consumer is supposed to figure out what is applicable, and even what is missing, and has to go through extensive communications with online or phone reps just to get clear basic information. 

As far as the 12 month contract thing goes, any reasonable person thinking about it, will see that what you have described is a perpetual monthly contract with a 12 month minimum term. 
    A 12 month contract would by default end at the end of month 12 and not roll over into any further term.
    Eir in my opinion, really needs to change the wording which it sells by to reflect the time periods for what they actually are, this or, either change their terms to automatically end the contract at 12 months as is the perception given by a description of a 12 months "contract" (whatever contract is supposed to mean).

The best course of action in my opinion would be rather than the current policy of hoping that people don't act before you jack their prices up after the "offers" given on the initial period expire, that the costumer would find it better to have an email or a call at 30 days reminding them that their contract will be up soon and would they like to renew. Anything else can be seen as unfair.

Please consider the last point a friendly but sincere warning to your management.
    I have a good track record of getting consumer law changed, and if there is no quick action on this point, I'll take this beyond a social media post, and do the necessary to get this brought forward to a committee for a recommendation to change the law.

While your management are at it they should also consider the legality of the whole missing contract farce I described above, - linked online PDF's scattered contracts, and educate themselves on the legal rights of consumers to full and clear information.
    If anyone challenges eir in court as from reading many of the posts here they should,  and win cases due to eir apparent failures on many points of consumer law. 

Regards,

Cencglob
    Hi Cencglob

Thank you for your feedback.

The information you are looking for is found in the General T&Cs (1.19 - Pricing) which are posted to the customer with the welcome email.

Select - Broadband
    Select - Broadand products and charges

The link clearly outlines the customer will not be subject to usage charges if they choose to join.

Kind Regards

~Linzi

eir: Linzi wrote: »
    Hi Grainne,

Thanks for the above.

Section 2.4 States

A. 

B

Reading on in 2.4,

Regards,

Cencglob
    Hi Cencglob

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The information you are looking for is found in the General T&Cs  (1.19 - Pricing) which are posted to the customer with the welcome email.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Select - Broadband[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Select - Broadband products and charges[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The link clearly outlines the customer will not be subject to usage charges if they choose to join.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kind Regards[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]~Linzi[/font]
    Hi Linzi,

This is exactly what I am talking about, I clicked on the T&C's link you provided. Read the section 1.19, which then opens a web page with 10-20 options to choose from. Ridiculous

I then opened the "charges" link you've posted and read where it indeed mentions that absolutely no charges will apply to any data amounts period.

Information is scattered, hard to find, not clear if it is applicable, and should be available before agreements are made and not something sent once someone has already committed. Makes sense right ?  

An actual contract for each product should be available, it is absurd that I have to jump through so many hoops just to find out what eir is offering. 

In any case thank you for providing the details above.

I hope my last message is being taken seriously. 

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

eir: Linzi wrote: »
    Hi Grainne,

Thanks for the above.

Section 2.4 States

A. 

B

Reading on in 2.4,

Regards,

Cencglob
    Hi Cencglob

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The information you are looking for is found in the General T&Cs  (1.19 - Pricing) which are posted to the customer with the welcome email.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Select - Broadband[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Select - Broadband products and charges[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The link clearly outlines the customer will not be subject to usage charges if they choose to join.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kind Regards[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]~Linzi[/font]
    Hi Linzi,

This is exactly what I am talking about, I clicked on the T&C's link you provided. Read the section 1.19, which then opens a web page with 10-20 options to choose from. Ridiculous

I then opened the "charges" link you've posted and read where it indeed mentions that absolutely no charges will apply to any data amounts period.

Information is scattered, hard to find, not clear if it is applicable, and should be available before agreements are made and not something sent once someone has already committed. Makes sense right ?  

An actual contract for each product should be available, it is absurd that I have to jump through so many hoops just to find out what eir is offering. 

In any case thank you for providing the details above.

I hope my last message is being taken seriously. 

Regards
    Hi Cencglob

I will certainly pass your comments along to the management team.

Many thanks

Linzi

Advertisement