Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with half a left over lamb leg (pref make frozen meals)

Options
  • 14-03-2019 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I will have loads of meat left over from a leg of lamb ...

What to make that will freeze well ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Shepherd's pie!

Yum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Shepherd's pie!

Yum!!!

Yes thats what I was thinking but I dont think mash potatoes freezes that well....

Its certainly an idea though

Or does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

shepherds pie freezes perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

worded wrote: »
    Yes thats what I was thinking but I dont think mash potatoes freezes that well....

Or does it?
    Cook the mix, freeze that (in portions if you like), then do fresh mash when you want to actually serve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

worded wrote: »

Or does it?

Mashed potatoes freezes very well, if you use plenty of butter and cream, I also add in egg yolks,( as in duchess potatoes,) I open freeze then cover
    never failed yet,:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

shepards pie, curry, casserole all work well with left over lamb.

Trim all of the fat off.

I love Lamb, but Lamb fat is very strong in flavour and I find it dominates the flavour and doesn't work at all in reheated meals.

A simple casserole / stew recipe which I love is

Slice a large onion in thick slices. ( I like lots of onions in this)
    Saute the onion slices and garlic.
    Add wine and reduce
    Add chopped lamb, and some mushrooms ( or carrots, but I'm not sure carrots and mushrooms work together in this)
    Add stock and a squirt of tomato puree, tyme leaves, bay leave, possible a dash of worstershire sauce

Simmer for 15/20 minutes.

Cool and freeze.

There are endless variations on this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually just slice it and freeze it because it reheats extremely well sprinkled with water, covered with foil and popped in the oven for 30 minutes at 160C.

Advertisement