Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car or van?

Options
  • 15-03-2019 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi would anyone know would it be cheaper to insure a car or van ? Maybe even a car-van?

The other half just got a new car and I am looking to buy something as a runaround for my dogs etc

28 full lisence , 8 years NCB

any help appreciated

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You'll be starting out with 0 NCB on a van, just buy an estate with a dog-guard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Really? Even if it is taxed privately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Really ? I should have mentioned the vans I'm looking at are focus,corolla,auris Berlingo etc not big transit type ones . Any recommendations on a good low diesel engine size with plenty of room ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I know plenty people who were allowed transfer their NCB over onto a commercial policy, going the other way tho, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No he wont.

I've moved back and forward between commercial and private policies a few times over the last 10 years or so. No issue with Ncb.

As for the price of insurance, there hasn't been much difference either way for me.

• Advertisement

My uncle has a Peugeot 307 estate and folds down the back seats when required , something like that would be ideal, but more in the lines of a focus etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

How much are you looking to spend?
    A car is generally going to be more practical as it gives you more flexibility, if you need space you can drop the back seats down but its there for passengers if required.
    Unless you specifically need to carry a lot I wouldn't go for a van.
    Bought a 7 seater myself recently as got two labs so needed big boot, back row will be more or less permanently down.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    How much are you looking to spend?
    A car is generally going to be more practical as it gives you more flexibility, if you need space you can drop the back seats down but its there for passengers if required.
    Unless you specifically need to carry a lot I wouldn't go for a van.
    Bought a 7 seater myself recently as got two labs so needed big boot, back row will be more or less permanently down.

I woudnt post how much I be willing to be spend as it would make people laugh it would only be a runaround.

What model did you get that sounds ideal cruizer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pudzey101 wrote: »
    .. as a runaround for my dogs etc...
    .. Any recommendations on a good low diesel engine size...
    ... it would only be a runaround...
    Why a diesel if it's just a 'runaround'? :confused:

Why a diesel if it's just a 'runaround'? :confused:

I would often travel long distances and the other halfs car eats petrol etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I woudnt post how much I be willing to be spend as it would make people laugh it would only be a runaround.

What model did you get that sounds ideal cruizer

Don’t buy a focus then. The cheap ones are just too much of a risk and they’re almost all diesel if they’re post 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

A 'private' commercial vehicle isn't really worth the hassle these days unless you really need it IMO.

Taxing privately is based on the old CC system even for post 2008 vans and will probably be more expensive, depending on exact model.

You've still got the yearly CVRT instead of an NCT every 2 years (or yearly if over 10 years old), and the CVRT costs twice what the NCT does.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Buffman wrote: »
    A 'private' commercial vehicle isn't really worth the hassle these days unless you really need it IMO.

Taxing privately is based on the old CC system even for post 2008 vans and will probably be more expensive, depending on exact model.

You've still got the yearly CVRT instead of an NCT every 2 years (or yearly if over 10 years old), and the CVRT costs twice what the NCT does.
    If it's taxed privately, it won't be called for a CVRT (unless things have changed lately). I used to have a van taxed privately. It wasn't eligible for a CVRT or NCT. No one in authority would give me a straight answer as it fell between two stools.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That anomaly has been closed off now.

I think a van might be out of the question now as not many places insure them privately . If anyone knows a place let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

I think a van might be out of the question now as not many places insure them privately . If anyone knows a place let me know

I switched from a 2006 2l RAV4 passenger vehicle to a 2015 3l Hilux two weeks ago. It took us a while to find an insurance that would do it, but Allianz insured me and took over the no claims bonus from the RAV4. It took a while to get the right documents from my previous insurance (f you, Chill) as they want to see that the old insurance is cancelled and the old car is not in your posession anymore, but Allianz was grand to deal with. The insurance on the Hilux is less than 100€ dearer per year, which is ok, in my opinion, so it's not a case of they're ripping me off since they're the only ones insuring me.

I'm obviously paying through the nose for the Hiluxes road tax because I'm honest/stupid enough to tax it privately, but that's a different topic.

Ok nice one for the tip !! Seeing a few nice focus vans that are catching my eye , I said dog care and grooming as my occupation insurance coming in under 380 not bad

Advertisement