Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time driving test at short notice-any advice please?

• 15-03-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there,

I applied for my driving test just over a month ago and since the waits were averaging 15 weeks, I put myself down on the cancellation list, however, yesterday (Thursday the 14th of March) I got a letter inviting me for my test on Monday week (the 25th of March)!.

Initially I was going to reschedule it, but since it is very close to the cancellation deadline and there’s two weekends and a bank holiday between now and then so it probably wouldn’t get processed in time (and I’d probably end up losing my fee), I’ve decided to go ahead with it (and I checked with my instructor and he recommended that I went ahead with it since they’re so hard to get.

So now I’m nervous and panicking and just wondering what should I be doing/learning/practicing in the meantime? I’ve read that you need to be able to open the bonnet etc, is that true?

It has been 15+ years since my parents did their test and I don’t really have anyone else who has recently passed a test that I can get advice/tips from.

Obviously I’m going to squeeze in at least one more lesson (starting today) and I’ll try to practice with my parents but just want to know what else I can be doing to make sure I pass it!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Get your driving instructor to do a few pre-tests with you, practice driving the test route.

Depends on your tester, I didn't have to open the bonnet for my test but yes it is a possibility you could be asked how you would check oil level or coolant level etc or you could be asked how you would check if your breaklights and reverse lights are working. You will be asked the functions of the various buttons and sticks on your dashboard, indicators etc and brakelights etc will be checked so make sure everything is working. You will be asked questions on the rules of the road and various road signs so make sure you practice answering possible questions too, again your driving instructor should have a list of possible questions you will be asked.

Drive as much as you can between now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bearamy98

Get your driving instructor to do a few pre-tests with you, practice driving the test route.

Depends on your tester, I didn't have to open the bonnet for my test but yes it is a possibility you could be asked how you would check oil level or coolant level etc or you could be asked how you would check if your breaklights and reverse lights are working. You will be asked the functions of the various buttons and sticks on your dashboard, indicators etc and brakelights etc will be checked so make sure everything is working. You will be asked questions on the rules of the road and various road signs so make sure you practice answering possible questions too, again your driving instructor should have a list of possible questions you will be asked.

Drive as much as you can between now and then

Thanks for that-I had a test today so practiced more manuveres and that and have asked can my next lesson (on Tuesday) be a pre-test one, so hopefully that will help me out a bit, and I’m lucky that I’m living in the same town as and have done a three lessons and practice driving with my mam there so am mostly familiar with all of the routes

Hopefully they don’t ask too much about the bonnet, oil etc on the day as I don’t know anything about that kind of thing so will need to start learning it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

The bonnet check just involves opening it and being able to identify which one is which of the following: oil, water, windscreen wiper fluid, brake fluid. That's all as far as I can remember. Your instructor should be able to go through it with you.

Another part of the test is hand signals e.g. how to indicate left and right if your lights are out.

Things they test/you need to practice are
    - hill start
    - 3 point turn (can be done in 5/7 points either, basically just making the car face in the opposite direction)
    - reverse around a corner

(Apologies if I'm slightly outdated, my test was a while ago, I'm open to correction)

Your instructor should practice all of these manoeuvres with you.

Before you leave the test centre, you'll be called in to sit at the testers desk and they'll ask you to identify random road signs from a card full of images. They'll also ask you basic rules of the road e.g. are you ever allowed to enter a yellow box (don't go near it unless you can clear it!)

I found a few sprays of Rescue Remedy helped to keep me calm. Also try not to tell too many people ahead of it, as the pressure of telling everyone how you got on can make you extra nervous. The best thing I did was to do a pre test with my instructor immediately before the real test. It helped me to iron out any little errors. I passed on my third or fourth attempt. Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Don't forget to swot up on your road signs. There's a section on them at the beginning of a test..e.g. unguarded crossing,clearway etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Theres a 99% chance you'll be asked to open the bonnet. Know how to open it and know where your oil goes, how to read the dipstick, where the brake fluid goes and how to read the level, same for coolant and windscreen washer fluid.

Heres a couple of pointers:

* The test itself is straightforward, you'll be called in by your tester, he/she will ask for your learner permit and then will ask you about 7/8 road signs from this sheet:

http://www.drivinglessonsdublin.ie/signs.html

* He/she will then ask you 3/4 theory questions, see the link below:

http://erneschoolofmotoring.com/driving-test-cavan.html

* After that you'll head to your car, do the under bonnet checks and then asked to sit into the car. He/she will ask you to operate your brake lights, indicators and turn your lights on and off.

* Once in the car he/she will ask you to demonstrate either the defogger, wipers, A/C, etc... basically the controls in the car.

* Once you get out on the road just relax and drive as you would with your instructor. You will be asked to do the following:

- Hill start
    - Reverse around the corner
    - Turnabout (You can do it in more than 3 turns, just don't hit the kerb)

* You will also be asked to demonstrate your hand signals, this usually happens after the turnabout. Know your hand signals for left turn, right turn, slow down, straight ahead.

* The test on the road will take around 30 minutes, but it will fly, so don't worry. If you are unsure of what the tester said just ask him/her to repeat it, he/she won't mind.

* Remember to check your blindspot before moving off, and to use your mirrors (don't overdo it as the tester will see this as lack of concentration on the road ahead).

* Watch out for speed limits, keep an eye on your surroundings and drive to the conditions of the road (don't go doing 50km down a road full of deep potholes!)

* When at a stop sign if on a hill use your handbrake, even if its only a small incline, if you feel the car will roll back use it, otherwise if not on a hill and you are going to be at the stop sign for more than a couple of seconds, use it. Same goes for traffic lights etc..

* Oh and last but not least make sure your car is road worthy! L plates up, tyres in good conditions with good thread, NCT/Tax/Insurance discs visible.

Best of luck! I only did it in October of last year so any questions feel free to ask :)

P.S. Rules of the road, have a read before the test: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all yer help!

I went out to practice with my dad today and except for cutting out a bit and changing gears a bit too quickly and slightly hitting the kerb at our house when I was parking up, thankfully everything else was mostly okay.

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get to practice opening the bonnet and doing all those checks as I’ve never done that before so need to learn.

I got the rules of the book about a month ago so have been reading at least a chapter of that every day (so am rereading it now), and have been practicing theory tests on my phone each day so hopefully I should be okay for the signs and rules.

I’m just a very nervous person in general so am afraid that I’ll either panic and do something stupid on the day, that I’ll forget to bring or do something or that the l plates will be on wrong or something!

Thanks again for all yer advice, I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Just relax and dont over think it. My biggest enemy was me and my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

are you doing it in Dublin ? Most of the routes are on YouTube . It can help if you know where you are going before they ask :)

Nope I’m about two hours away from Dublin; but thankfully the town I’m in now and have recently been practicing in is the town where I’m doing my test so I’m familiar with it

Ya my nerves are the worst thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

bearamy98 wrote: »
    Nope I’m about two hours away from Dublin; but thankfully the town I’m in now and have recently been practicing in is the town where I’m doing my test so I’m familiar with it

Ya my nerves are the worst thing

Funnily enough I went in with the impression I was going to fail, helped me calm down for the test and allowed me to drive more naturally as I usually do.

Might not work the same for you but for most my friends, the ones that were cocky and said they would pass with flying colors failed with flying colors, the ones that said they have no chance, passed it!

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I went in with the impression I was going to fail, helped me calm down for the test and allowed me to drive more naturally as I usually do.

Might not work the same for you but for most my friends, the ones that were cocky and said they would pass with flying colors failed with flying colors, the ones that said they have no chance, passed it!

Ya I’ve read in other places that some people went in with the ‘i’ll fail’ attitude but passed, I’m not exactly convinced I’ll fail skill-wise, more just that I’ll be unlucky and do something stupid or forget something and then end up failing.

Thankfully I don’t think I’d be the cocky type, and I’ve only told my immediate family members and two friends so having been talking about doing it that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Be confident that you control the car, you're in charge. I don't mean being cocky but I do think if you come across as a competent driver it filters through to your passenger. I too got my test quicker than I expected. I took three lessons along the test route and I drove everyday in the weeks leading up to the lesson.

I also had the bonnet stuff, hand signals, signs etc off my heart - why lose points here? I wasn't asked to look under the bonnet instead I was asked about tyres and how would I check if they're road worthy - I passed first time. But even if you don't, don't despair, it's invaluable experience for passing a second time - best of luck!!

Advertisement