Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

45 cars and over €40,000 seized in CAB raids in Limerick, Tipperary and Dubli

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

They weren't actually arrested. He owns a property out there which I believe is where he arranges his imports and such.

'Imports' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Big Nasty wrote: »
    'Imports' :pac:

Tongue was firmly in cheek alright! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

They weren't actually arrested. He owns a property out there which I believe is where he arranges his imports and such.

No but with a raid that big they must have something substantial on them. Surely when making a raid like that the police surely should be in a position to confirm what they suspect and then make the arrests...

Can you imagine making a raid like that and it turns out they've nothing illegal, business there is ruined..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Folks please refrain from naming individuals and throwing around accusations of wrongdoing unless you fancy going to court to back it up.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've cleared out all cluedo and star sign references. If it's not in the papers, I don't want to see it here.

• Advertisement

Intersting read.
    The garda has already been arrested and suspended. He was identified by the force's security and intelligence division after they listened in on private telephone calls he was making to criminals using a "pay as you go phone" which he believed could not be traced.

I see templemore is still giving good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

MarkR wrote: »
    I've cleared out all cluedo and star sign references. If it's not in the papers, I don't want to see it here.

Alright calm down, pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bonesaw

Exactly.. There's plenty of legitimate car dealers in Limerick City and county dealing in both Irish cars and imports. The dog on the street knows the ones that are dodgy. No need to throw every dealers name up here for a free for all.. Someone will eventually get unfairly tarred with the dodgy brush..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

bonesaw wrote: »
    Exactly.. There's plenty of legitimate car dealers in Limerick City and county dealing in both Irish cars and imports. The dog on the street knows the ones that are dodgy. No need to throw every dealers name up here for a free for all.. Someone will eventually get unfairly tarred with the dodgy brush..
    Well people from Clare and elsewhere wouldnt have a clue about the dodgy ones tbh.A couple of workmates bought cars from Bawn.Cars were fine in fairness, but where the money goes is anyones guess. Its not just car dealers. Theres plenty of other"reputable" business's moving cash along for gangsters.

• Advertisement

I think this thread has served it's purpose.

I've reopened this thread to discuss. Bear in mind the usual. This isn't the place to ask "Is xxx a dodgy dealer". This is specifically about the raid from the opening post, and related articles / discussion. Please only discuss details that are published, rather than local knowledge / supposition.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/417616/all-three-gardai-suspended-from-duty-as-part-of-investigation-into-corruption.html

I wonder will charges follow from this considering files have been forwarded to the DPP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/417616/all-three-gardai-suspended-from-duty-as-part-of-investigation-into-corruption.html

I wonder will charges follow from this considering files have been forwarded to the DPP.

It's pretty much guaranteed if the DPP thinks that enough facts have been provided.

I think the three people have already been questioned before, and that enough further information has been gathered to make the case against them viable. I'm thinking that more information could have been found after the "professional" offices were raided.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: do not identify anyone or go anywhere near to it.

Once again people. If it's not in the news, I don't want to see it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The impact of this and also of the expenses scandal in the council will result in even less faith in the authorities in Limerick.

Talking to friends who are "from the wrong side of the tracks" they always considered the guards as people you cannot trust. Corruption was expected. Gardai acting like their own little gang, being petty and vindictive.

There are some really decent gardai in Limerick and some not so decent. Hope this is an opportunity to clean things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any sign of a public auction?

fryup wrote: »
    any sign of a public auction?

That won't happen until all legal processes are exhausted. It could potentially take a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:(

fek it! dreams of a cheap beemer goes out the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Odelay

That won't happen until all legal processes are exhausted. It could potentially take a few years.

If it’s something that will depriciate like cars, they will sell and put the money into an account. Otherwise at the end of the process the cars could be valueless.

They won’t advertise the auction as in dodgy cars Ltd. they’ll just go through a normal auction and may well already have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

fryup wrote: »
    :(

fek it! dreams of a cheap beemer goes out the window

I wouldn't be rushing out looking for a cheap beemer that came from Bawn Motors, vast majority of cars are probably riddled in problems. My brother had a Volkswagen Passat from them and it would have needed a lot of work done to it to pass the NCT this September but he gave it back to the finance company about three weeks ago and it's already appeared on the forecourt of another dealership in Limerick.

I reckon Nichola Tallant just read this thread to write her "expo" on Mr. Bawn and Mr. Nash in today's Sunday World.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

I reckon Nichola Tallant just read this thread to write her "expo" on Mr. Bawn and Mr. Nash in today's Sunday World.
    Any chance you could throw up a scan of the article? Was out of the country and missed it. Thanks

Townie_P wrote: »
    Any chance you could throw up a scan of the article? Was out of the country and missed it. Thanks

Sorry, I threw it out. If you read this thread you got the gist. The only extra was a huge pic of bawn and his wife and the plans of the house they has planning to build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Sorry, I threw it out. If you read this thread you got the gist. The only extra was a huge pic of bawn and his wife and the plans of the house they has planning to build.

I think we can refer to them as Stephen & Stephanie O'Sullivan at this stage, they were after all named and pictured in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

More updates today... https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/detective-and-businessman-charged-in-connection-with-investigation-into-alleged-garda-corruption-38474022.html

A detective garda, and a director of a car sales firm targeted by the Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB), are both to face trial on charges linked to a major investigation into alleged garda corruption.

• Advertisement

Advertisement