Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm on a French VPN with work and says it's in stock and shipping Monday

yeah keep checking the site.. lots of people on reddit saying they are stocking up at the mo.. but selling out in minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mrcheez wrote: »
    yeah keep checking the site.. lots of people on reddit saying they are stocking up at the mo.. but selling out in minutes

Is 'lockdown' driving demand higher than otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I think Half Life Alyx release has caused sales to sky rocket as well as COVID production slowdowns (i imagine)

Is 'lockdown' driving demand higher than otherwise?

Combination of that and Alyx

Obviously for Alyx to work, though, you need to have the compatible VR-capable PC (and optional cable, or stream via Virtual Desktop)

If you don't have the powerful PC, some people are already calling "Lies Beneath" the "Alyx of Quest"

Estimated Shipping Date: April 7th
    Arrived: TODAY!

also arrived today...controller grip and vr cover.

this will be a good weekend.

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »

forgot to mention get rechargeable AA batteries too ;)

I see Oculus have added a "Notify Me" button on their site to alert you when new stock arrives.

Of course this does mean there may be even less chance of getting a HMD unless you are quick to react to the email, since everybody will be alerted at the same time rather than the former method of random chance of spotting one when visiting the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Lucky Sod! Scan are deliveing mine after the 20th!

Let me know what your first thoguhts are!

I ordered the grips, case etc also from Amazon UK

Took a mini work break..it's definitely different.

Haven't played anything proper. Wish it would just load all my 'cross-buy' enabled apps in the library already, have to go and hunt to see what i already own!

@current owners - i've beat saber on SteamVR...would yiz recommend buying the quest version (can you sideload songs onto it? or is virtual desktop steam vr just as good?)

Also trying to see if anything else Quest exclusive I should be doing.

I won't lie..Passthrough blew my mind. Keep doubletapping my headset to look around.

Found 'hand' tracking a little finicky - is there a demo available to play with it outside of the menus?

Either way, looking forward to getting properly stuck in later!

Hand tracking is still beta, though lots of good things will happen when it's tightened up.

Make sure you check out all the goodies on Sidequest including add-ons for the Quest version of Beat Saber, and Quake 2 etc

Sidequest is also where you load the Steam VR-compatible version of Virtual Desktop (after you've purchased it from the Oculus store)

https://sidequestvr.com/#/

What did you think of the dancing robot bit during setup? :D

• Advertisement

Hand tracking is still beta, though lots of good things will happen when it's tightened up.

Make sure you check out all the goodies on Sidequest including add-ons for the Quest version of Beat Saber, and Quake 2 etc

Sidequest is also where you load the Steam VR-compatible version of Virtual Desktop (after you've purchased it from the Oculus store)

https://sidequestvr.com/#/

What did you think of the dancing robot bit during setup? :D

I didn't see a dancing robot :eek: - i may have missed that!?

I didn't see a dancing robot :eek: - i may have missed that!?

It's in the First Steps app.. it used to autoload when you completed setup, maybe you have to manually start it.

Definitely worth it, blew my mind!

Sidequest up and running, serious lockdown beat saber workout done...didn't quite get oculus link working straight away and found out _not_ to use bluetooth headset because it ain't too stable.

Will try get Alyx tomorrow and flick between VDesktop and Link to see what works best!

Thoroughly enjoying the wirelessness! Just gotta keep the thing charged up.

So my Quest is ordered from Scan... I've using PSVR with a Pro.

Is the Quest linked to high end PC a far better experience in terms of graphics and frame rate?

Quest is superb on its own!

High visuals and frame rate etc, but for best graphics link to a PC.

Btw forgot to mention another essential Sidequest app is Half Life

Quest is superb on its own!

High visuals and frame rate etc, but for best graphics link to a PC.

Btw forgot to mention another essential Sidequest app is Half Life

Thanks! - Is it far better than PSVR on Pro?

sticker wrote: »
    Thanks! - Is it far better than PSVR on Pro?

I've only got PSVR on Slim, and yeah it's much tighter.

Afaik PSVR on PRO just has more detail and marginally sharper visuals compared to Slim, but Quest is almost like looking at a native monitor in comparison.

Screen door effect is almost non-detectable.

Playing standard Steam games on Virtual Desktop is almost like looking at a real monitor, it's pretty incredible what the dev has achieved.

I see a notice online that Quest games come with or without positional tracking - what does this mean?

sticker wrote: »
    I see a notice online that Quest games come with or without positional tracking - what does this mean?

I think that's where you can move around in the game world by walking within your 2m x 2m (or whatever) space.

Vader Immortal doesn't seem to implement this, for example, as it generally assumed you are rooted to the one spot, but a lot of games do (like Half Life Alyx).

Beat Saber probably assumes you are rooted to the one spot too.

Whirled up Alyx last night - found it struggled a bit in Virtual Desktop but was able to get it somewhat smooth/stable with the link. Still experimenting on optimising performance...have Virgin 500mb broadband, ethernet direct to PC and 5Ghz wifi, not sure if any way to make it smoother.

Bought Pistol Whip too. Good workout.

Tried this on SideQuest too - hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgCS_tTcPs and a little trippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Whirled up Alyx last night - found it struggled a bit in Virtual Desktop but was able to get it somewhat smooth/stable with the link. Still experimenting on optimising performance...have Virgin 500mb broadband, ethernet direct to PC and 5Ghz wifi, not sure if any way to make it smoother.

Tried this on SideQuest too - hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgCS_tTcPs and a little trippy

Your internet speed has nothing to do with performance of a game running locally, only multiplayer games or streaming.

Are you talking about using link or virtual desktop?
    A direct cable connection will always be better so link will always be better than virtual desktop over Wi-Fi.*

*in terms of performance, I would agree the freedom of a wireless solution feels much better.
    For best Wi-Fi performance, best thing is line of sight to router so nothing between Wi-Fi access point and the headset

There are some good tips here on getting Virtual Desktop working smoothly

These are what I've followed and getting decent enough rates.. though obviously visuals are downgraded somewhat.

IMHO you should try Half Life Alyx through the Link cable first, just to make sure you know how good the visuals can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Can anyone using the VD setup on Quest tell me how they are set up.

I'm using one of those Ubiquiti UniFi access points
    2.4 -300mps
    5 - 867mps

I've narrowed my laptop search down to 2 choices and would like to play half life wirelessly. Should I be looking at a better network set up for this or should this be grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

There are some good tips here on getting Virtual Desktop working smoothly

These are what I've followed and getting decent enough rates.. though obviously visuals are downgraded somewhat.

IMHO you should try Half Life Alyx through the Link cable first, just to make sure you know how good the visuals can be.

Just posted something looking for advise on this :D

kerplun k wrote: »
    Can anyone using the VD setup on Quest tell me how they are set up.

I'm going through Powerline adaptors, though that's probably not ideal, but it seems to work for me.

So..
    Laptop upstairs -> Ethernet cable -> Powerline adaptor -> Router downstairs

then Quest is...
    Router -> 5Ghz Wifi -> Quest (approx 3m away from router with fairly direct line of sight)

Apparently Laptop -> Router directly is supposed to be the best setup though, but not really a handy setup for me as my router is in the hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Color Space can be got for 4.99 which is half price now. Buy it from the Rift store and it's cross platform and playable on the Quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No notification from Oculus since I added my email :(

Anywhere else to keep an eye out for one?

No notification from Oculus since I added my email :(

Anywhere else to keep an eye out for one?

Did you try Scan UK? Thats where i ordered mine. Shipping 20th or so of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Does anyone know if Scan.co.uk only allow pre orders for what they have coming into stock or if the over sell? Ive pre ordered for the ones arriving on the 28th and want to see how likely is it that I'll actually get it.

• Advertisement

MacGyver wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Scan.co.uk only allow pre orders for what they have coming into stock or if the over sell? Ive pre ordered for the ones arriving on the 28th and want to see how likely is it that I'll actually get it.

From Scan regarding my order... Gave up on offical shop. Happy to wait for it with Scan.

We are processing all orders but are continuing to experience unprecedented volumes and we want to assure you that our warehouse are working hard to meet the delivery estimated upon checkout, whilst this is our top priority delivery timeframes cannot currently be provided.

Advertisement