Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

kerplun k wrote: »
    Okay, so this is what I've done.
    I set up an facebook account using my real name but with some tweaks,
    First name uses a common knickname derived from my real name, which I've never gone by.
    Second name is now double barreled, and spaced differently.
    Profile photo is me at a comic con dressed as rorschach
    Email is my old student email which uses an ID rather than name.
    So its me, but anonymised. If FB come looking for ID, I'm golden.

Do you have ID with the name appearing as such though?

They say it has to be a name you're commonly known as so they might dick around.

Here's the list of ID that you can use: https://www.facebook.com/help/159096464162185

Something else that might be possible is to create an account in one of your parent's names! You'd need to ask them for permission of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

mrcheez wrote: »
    Do you have ID with the name appearing as such though?

They say it has to be a name you're commonly known as so they might dick around.

Here's the list of ID that you can use: https://www.facebook.com/help/159096464162185

Something else that might be possible is to create an account in one of your parent's names! You'd need to ask them for permission of course :D

Kinda, My passport is that name, my FB account is just using a nickname, which can be derived from my actual name and is used commonly enough, so who is to say I don't use it, also the spacing and use of double barreling my middle name with last name, is enough to make it anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks for that, looks like the wait goes on...

Although I might pick up a dirt cheap original at some stage just to see what it was like.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks for that, looks like the wait goes on...

To be fair his complaints were mainly about the IPD adjustment and the headstrap, but it's fairly obvious the "Elite Strap" is an essential extra to throw into the basket.

They just have the cloth strap to make the price what it is, but in reality you should budget for the Elite Strap as well.

Apart from that, most reviews seem to be glowing about it, as long as you are OK creating a Facebook account or figuring a workaround, plus have an average IPD.

I'd probably wait for 3rd party straps though as the Elite Strap seems to have an extension limit

• Advertisement

To be fair his complaints were mainly about the IPD adjustment and the headstrap, but it's fairly obvious the "Elite Strap" is an essential extra to throw into the basket.

They just have the cloth strap to make the price what it is, but in reality you should budget for the Elite Strap as well.

Apart from that, most reviews seem to be glowing about it, as long as you are OK creating a Facebook account or figuring a workaround, plus have an average IPD.

I'd probably wait for 3rd party straps though as the Elite Strap seems to have an extension limit
    The light bleed and padding issue didn't sound like minor complaints either though.

that's just one review, most reviews are overweeningly positive,

The light bleed and padding issue didn't sound like minor complaints either though.

I had light bleed on my Quest, but I got a replacement facial interface and it's eliminated now.

The VRCover interfaces are essential I think, for extra comfort and handling sweat etc, as well as eliminating issues like light-bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

New trailer from Pistol Whip

https://youtu.be/mtKOM_jlVT4

Wonder if that will be free DLC or another game altogether.

• Advertisement

Wonder if that will be free DLC or another game altogether.

It's free DLC for the main game.. in fact it's the one thing I felt was missing from the game, so this is fantastic!

It's free DLC for the main game.. in fact it's the one thing I felt was missing from the game, so this is fantastic!

Actually they haven't said if it will be free or not yet.

Actually they haven't said if it will be free or not yet.

hmm might be right I was assuming it was included in the free Heartbreaker expansion which includes achievements

Reviews keep coming fast and thick

https://www.wired.com/review/oculus-quest-2-review/

Apart from the Ars Techica review, all of them seem to be really positive... I reckon I'll get one and figure out the Facebook thing later

Most likely I'll just stick to my plan of keeping it as a wireless PC VR headset (via Virtual Desktop) using a fake account and keep my current Quest for the native Quest games.

Done, ordered a 64GB and a battery elite strap/carry case combo ... another cool €488 down, expensive hobby this!

I ordered a 64GB as well. I didn’t get any extras. The reviews on the elite are good, but the thing that worries me is that reviewers are still putting the comfort below PSVR and the frankenquest. So will have a look at 3rd party accessories when they become available.

Ideally, a halo strap like the PSVR would be a good option.

Do I sell Quest 1 or keep it as a memento?

I ordered a 64GB as well. I didn’t get any extras. The reviews on the elite are good, but the thing that worries me is that reviewers are still putting the comfort below PSVR and the frankenquest. So will have a look at 3rd party accessories when they become available.

Ideally, a halo strap like the PSVR would be a good option.

What's strange is that the PSVR kills me, but Rift is like a cushion.

Different head shape I guess but the PSVR is tight like a bastard for me and gives me chronic headaches at max extension after an hour of usage while leaving lovely red imprint. I'm considering getting a scissors to the elastic one of these days but it seems wrong. I've had the PSVR for about 4 years now so elastic has been stretched.

Haven't had this issue with Oculus stuff though including the Quest, so I'm taking a risk with the Elite strap, but worth a shot.

The contact is on the face rather than the forehead so I think that is probably why it's tight with PSVR and not Oculus.

Do I sell Quest 1 or keep it as a memento?

If you're gonna go all-in with attaching the Facebook account to your main Oculus account then I guess get rid of it, or keep it as a spare for playing games in bed or something :)

lol they're a clever bunch. One minute there's open revolt about having to have a Facebook account. Then they go and announce a shiny new Quest and everybody's gone off throwing money their way.

• Advertisement

lol they're a clever bunch. One minute there's open revolt about having to have a Facebook account. Then they go and announce a shiny new Quest and everybody's gone off throwing money their way.

TBF, €350 for an awesome headset is pretty hard to resist. If it didn’t look so good and wasn’t so cheap I’d definitely take the moral high ground and boycott it.

I'm still against the Facebook requirement which is why I'm not going all in.

But wireless VR is the ONLY way I can VR from now on, even with the attractiveness of the HP Reverb G2... I simply cannot go back to wires.

So if there's a better way to experience my PC VR games without wires, at such a reasonable cost, I'm going to jump on it.

I think the moment that hit me was when I played Half Life Alyx and I went up several floors of a staircase by rotating on the spot several times... lo and behold I didn't have to rotate back the other way to untangle the cord.

Also rolling around the place playing Superhot VR and Space Pirate Trainer just confirmed it for me.

I also still love my Oculus Go for playing in bed, or my latest thing now is to read comics lying on my back in bed with my Go.

Wireless is the best.

Note though... because of the Facebook thing, I'm limiting my future purchases to SteamVR primarily, so like I said, I'm not all in. Unless there is a really good sale on :D

Tetris Effect is 30% on Quest as part of duo pack... showing as €20 for me as I already have Space Pirate Trainer

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/772987296832841/

I have this on PSVR and it's quite possibly my favourite PSVR game ever. I'm seriously considering double-dipping for the Quest version even though I swore I was done buying from Oculus!

Note though... because of the Facebook thing, I'm limiting my future purchases to SteamVR primarily, so like I said, I'm not all in. Unless there is a really good sale on :D

Is there a possibility of more Oculus exclusives in future? I assume that FB don't get any revenue from Steam purchases but do from Oculus Store purchases. Given that they are selling the Quest 2 at a deep loss, this feels like a logical step to me.

Is there a possibility of more Oculus exclusives in future? I assume that FB don't get any revenue from Steam purchases but do from Oculus Store purchases. Given that they are selling the Quest 2 at a deep loss, this feels like a logical step to me.

Zuckerberg did mention that FB were funding several titles so I reckon that is indeed a possibility

The Climb 2 is definitely one anyway... they seem to be moving away from PCVR so it's possible all future titles will be aimed at Quest 2.

Feck it Ive been reading about it all day and its gone from almost a buy to absolute must-have for me now, cant wait to get it.

It is a shocking amount of cutting edge hardware for the money tbh.

Feck it Ive been reading about it all day and its gone from almost a buy to absolute must-have for me now, cant wait to get it.

If the Quest is anything to go by, this will be highly-moddable too .. in fact I believe VR Cover is officially a partner and has new facial pads coming on the market which will solve any light bleed issues if any.

Yep. And It’s only going to get better. The Quest 1 is a different beast now, to the product they launched back in May19. The possibilities with Q2 are endless. I’m still shocked this is going for $300, it’s gonna sell like hot cakes with tons of official and unofficial upgrades.

Thinking about doing a pre-order on the Oculus site for Quest 2. Do they take the money immediately or wait until it releases?

• Advertisement

Thinking about doing a pre-order on the Oculus site for Quest 2. Do they take the money immediately or wait until it releases?

Usually a couple of days before Oct 13

Advertisement