Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

wes wrote: »
    Your best bet is try it out. What kind of speeds and ping does it get over wifi????

Have considered ethernet over power (powerline) if the wireless speeds are slow?

Yeah I was thinking powerlines but just more cables etc as the PC is plugged in away from a wall socket with a extension lead which doesnt work well with powerline adapters apprently.

Just try it when I get it I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Sterling dropping further today. Could probably pick it up for under €300 from JL the way this is going!

On the other hand, my awesome-for-2015 era PC will struggle with Half Life Alyx and even Skyrim. Need to buy some pc parts from the UK....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

8GB

The 256 GB version is £399. An extra £100 over the 64 GB version. Is it worth it? Are all the games on the Oculus site available from steamVR? If so I think the 64 GB will suffice. Also what accessories are needed from the get go? The link cable? Thats coming in at £30. Anything else?

64GB will be fine. You just may need to uninstall apps if you are running out of space, or want to store a few 3D movies etc (each movie is 20-30GB)

Bear in mind 10GB is reserved for system. So a 64GB is 54GB space, and 256GB is 246GB space.

There are cheaper alternatives to the Link cable on Amazon. The Anker one is good and I think around £10?

But Virtual Desktop is the recommended approach as long as you can connect your PC directly to the router.
    Does anyone know for virtual desktop to work well does the PC need to be a wired connection, my daughters PC is only wireless as its upstairs away from teh router, its on 5ghz wireless though using an ASUS RT-AC86U router

It's got to be connected directly to the router. I have a 10m Cat6 cable which I run down the stairs to my router when I want to play SteamVR content.

I tried it before connected wirelessly to the router, but the latency is pretty bad. I tried my powerlines too and it was just as bad.

The dev of VD recommends connecting to the router directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks for the info all. Just ordered from Amazon. I find them great for returns or issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Im looking for help in setting up a dedicated router for Virutal Desktop.

I decided to setup a dedicated thread not to interfere with the hype for the Quest 2!

You can find it here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058120106

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Just got charged for the Quest 2 on my credit card. So I guess it will ship soon. I am surprised as the shipping estimate on the web site was Nov 6th for me, as I didn't order it right away when pre-orders opened.

So I guess its going ship soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

wes wrote: »
    Just got charged for the Quest 2 on my credit card. So I guess it will ship soon. I am surprised as the shipping estimate on the web site was Nov 6th for me, as I didn't order it right away when pre-orders opened.

So I guess its going ship soon.

Mine was charged sometime between Monday night and Tuesday morning. Still stuck at 'processing for shipping' as of now. Hoping it moves soon, think my original date was around the 20th, but would be great to have it for next weekend.

Saw on Reddit there is a guy in the states that got a notification from UPS for delivery tomorrow, but his order is still showing as processing for shipping on Oculus.

Any advice on whether it's worth the upgrade from the Lenovo Explorer? I'd imagine I'd only need to spend <€100 euro to buy the Quest 2 if I sold the Explorer on Ebay from looking at current listings. There are obviously some major benefits but I worry that I'll miss how much lighter the Explorer is. I doubt I'd ever use Virtual Desktop either as my internet is merely a hotspot from a phone which I assume would result in terrible latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Mine was charged sometime between Monday night and Tuesday morning. Still stuck at 'processing for shipping' as of now. Hoping it moves soon, think my original date was around the 20th, but would be great to have it for next weekend.

Saw on Reddit there is a guy in the states that got a notification from UPS for delivery tomorrow, but his order is still showing as processing for shipping on Oculus.

Reading online that shipping starts October 13th apparently, so I guess it will ship then and arrive a few days later.

I guess that guy in the US got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Anyone else order the quest but can't open it until Christmas?
    I'll of course open it to check for faults etc but it for the kids so have to put it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Anyone else order the quest but can't open it until Christmas?
    I'll of course open it to check for faults etc but it for the kids so have to put it away.

"for the kids" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Got an email saying they couldn't take payment with method on file. I had forgot to put the money into PayPal. If I put that in today will they just attempt to take it again at some stage?

Got an email saying they couldn't take payment with method on file. I had forgot to put the money into PayPal. If I put that in today will they just attempt to take it again at some stage?

contact their support I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Shlippery wrote: »
    "for the kids" ;)

Haha, exact same craic here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Payment was taken now :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would I be wasting my time getting a quest 2 with my current pc specs?

i7 6700k, 16gb ram, gtx1070

Star wars squadrons and alyx would be the two main games I'd be looking to play, I seem to be just bang on the recommended specs for squadrons.

Intend on upgrading the rig in 18 months or so anyway but in the mood for a new toy to tide me over and have been wanting to go VR for a good while.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Star wars squadrons and alyx would be the two main games I'd be looking to play, I seem to be just bang on the recommended specs for squadrons.

Intend on upgrading the rig in 18 months or so anyway but in the mood for a new toy to tide me over and have been wanting to go VR for a good while.

That's my spec and it's perfect for Alyx

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mrcheez wrote: »
    That's my spec and it's perfect for Alyx

That's exactly what I wanted to hear :D

And am I right in thinking there's no real advantage to getting a rift S over the quest 2?

That's exactly what I wanted to hear :D

And am I right in thinking there's no real advantage to getting a rift S over the quest 2?

the Rift S has been plagued with driver issues and reportedly the Quest 2 is on par if not better visually. Practically no SDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I have a Rift S and an original Quest. The Rift S is far more comfortable, it's not even comparable. I can't wear the quest for more than 30mins, it's awful, in fact I bought a halo adapter to try and sort it, it's better now but still no where near as good as the Rift S. I expect the Rift would still be more comfortable than a Quest 2 but I haven't tried that yet.

I have a 2070S and Alyx seems to struggle a bit with memory problems, I've played through it perfectly fine but every now and then I'd have to restart it as textures stopped loading. I refunded Squadrons as I couldn't get it to be smooth, likely this'll get patched because I don't think it's a problem with my specs.

I have the Quest 2 on order but time will tell whether I use it for PC VR or not. It looks like the display and resolution will be an improvement once they update the software, but if you're intending on spending a good amount of time in VR then comfort is king.

• Advertisement

Path of the Warrior is on sale for €13.99 on the Quest store.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2032870023439846/

It's cross buy so that if you buy it on the quest store you get the rift version free when you search for it on the rift store after buying it on the quest store. You do not need a quest to buy it.

It's like jumping into the world of streets of rage or double dragon in VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Maybe a silly question buy my son has a rift s and is changing to a quest 2. Will his games library for the rift s be usable on the Quest 2?

Irishder wrote: »
    Maybe a silly question buy my son has a rift s and is changing to a quest 2. Will his games library for the rift s be usable on the Quest 2?

Yes once he connects the Quest 2 to the pc using a cable for oculus link.
    Or wirelessly using virtual desktop.

Great to see lots of new VR forum posters here...great sign that VR is becoming more popular and mainstream :)

Despite the criticism, Facebook has done a lot bringing VR to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dont suppose anyone's seen any sign of it in a bricks and mortar location yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Thargor wrote: »
    Dont suppose anyone's seen any sign of it in a bricks and mortar location yet?

Nothing yet anyway, PC World/Currys have them on their site with a launch date for tomorrow. Might be able to get a click & collect then. Argos might be worth a shout too as they stocked the Quest 1.

Anyone that ordered from Oculus direct seen any movement yet? Mine was charged early last week and stuck at processing for shipping since then.

Payment taken from Amazon now.. race to see who gets it first :D

I'm debating whether or not I should tamper with my fake FB login by adding a profile pic, or get my sister to "Friend Me", or just leave it untouched until the day I try to link it?

I've had the FB account for about 5 years and haven't had any issues, but I've never added any photos or profile pic. I just used it to sign up to competitions.

I've seen people on reddit say that they got a pop-up warning their FB account "didn't follow the required guidelines" when they tried to link it to their Oculus account.

All I require, for now, is that I can get past the sign up screen, then I'm turning off wifi and playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein or using the Link cable etc, just to ensure the account doesn't get blocked for first week or so, or until I can figure out if I can use Virtual Desktop while blocking Facebook from disabling my account :D

I ended up pre-ordering one at he weekend and payment got taken last night too.

I've had a facebook account for about 13 years so no issue using it to login to the Occulus app on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I ended up pre-ordering one at he weekend and payment got taken last night too.

I've had a facebook account for about 13 years so no issue using it to login to the Occulus app on the phone.

I also don't have a huge issue with it. My FB is there, I barely use it, so FB can make hay with my data goldmine!

My order is with John Lewis, via AddressPal, so I assume Amazon and Oculus-direct orders will win the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Yup payment taken overnight from amazon, good thing is it falls within amazons extended Christmas returns, any issues I can return up to the end of January

Advertisement