Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

fenris wrote: »
    I have the Anker cable, works grand, just remember to enable the PC link on the Oculus settings!
    Mostly using VR Desktop wirelessly these days, the missing piece for me was to setup a dedicated 5ghz hotspot from my laptop with the Quest as the only client, nice and simple with a powerline adaptor going back to the router for internet.

What latency are you getting on that? I found my powerline adaptors were shooting up around the 30ms+ mark in Virtual Desktop when looking at the streamer app through the headset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

mrcheez wrote: »

Thats the one im using, going to mess around with developer mode to see can I get it working. From what I remember it was not just a tab switch, they asked me to register or something.. Its asking me to become a developer- Goto Ocul.us/start creating to register. When I go there its on about creating an organization which they then approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Around 7 to 9ms
    Powerline adaptor for the internet / house network connection, direct wifi between the Quest and the laptop so the Quest <-> laptop traffic does not have to cross the powerline adaptor at all
    Configuring the dedicated 5Ghz hotspot on Windows10 was a complete pain in the hole, as there was a W10 bug at the time (September) to do with powersaving that kept knocking out the wifi hotspot bridge mode after a few minutes while a wired network connection was active, despite the correct settings being in place on screen. Apparently it is fixed now as part of the regular windows updates.

Glebee wrote: »
    Thats the one im using, going to mess around with developer mode to see can I get it working. From what I remember it was not just a tab switch, they asked me to register or something.. Its asking me to become a developer- Goto Ocul.us/start creating to register. When I go there its on about creating an organization which they then approve.

I had to create a new organisation for my Quest 2 when using the Facebook account.

That's what you need to do now in order to get all the Sidequest loveliness, so definitely worth it.

To me, Brutal Doom in VR is the single greatest thing on the Quest 2... pure bliss especially when you hold guns with both hands for full immersion.

Around 7 to 9ms

7 - 9ms latency? Pics or GTFO :D

The usual good latency for Virtual Desktop is around 18-23ms... you sure it says 7-9ms when you look at the VD Streamer app?

• Advertisement

Heads up that today is last day to grab Doom 3 on Steam for the discount price.

Doom 3 VR is due to be released on Sidequest in a week or two

Note that the BFG version will not work, has to be the original

Thanks folks, think im sorted. Developer mode setting seems to have done the trick. Quest working from PC via cable and wirelessly on Virtual Desktop.

Can't wait to get my own. Due 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

No, that is the latency from a ping, normally stabilised about 7 to 9ms unless I am right beside the laptop.
    Just checked VD streamer, that is more like 18 - 22ms

Dropped nicely when I got Bitdefender to stop interfering, until I put in a rule I was having connection problems

Just checked VD streamer, that is more like 18 - 22ms

Cool, I was getting around 30-40ms running network through powerline adapters, but direct Cat 7 cable connection run down the stairs brought it down to 18.

Thankfully resolved it all now though with the new router and can keep everything upstairs, but play downstairs at the 18-22ms range.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Anyone have a problem with the microphone randomly not working over link? mine will sometimes work , but more often than not just shows volume is at 50% but doesn't pick anything up . (PC /oculus are all set to use the virtual oculus headset as default device)as far as I can see its a known issue with link.

Thanks folks, think im sorted. Developer mode setting seems to have done the trick. Quest working from PC via cable and wirelessly on Virtual Desktop.

Still think I have issues. Something just not right. Seems I can only connect to Steam VR through Virtual Desktop instead of directly when I plug in cable. Game performance not great over virtual desktop. If I connect headset to PC direct with cable should performance be good. PC is not great but has passed all graphics tests..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Still think I have issues. Something just not right. Seems I can only connect to Steam VR through Virtual Desktop instead of directly when I plug in cable. Game performance not great over virtual desktop. If I connect headset to PC direct with cable should performance be good. PC is not great but has passed all graphics tests..

Got mine sorted this evening. I had to roll back the update on my and Radeon rx480. Anything above 20.11.1 causes issues.

Game performance not great over virtual desktop.

What's your setup with Virtual Desktop?

If you can, list every item in the chain...

e.g. PC -> Cat 7 cable -> Router (5GHz) ...wifi... Quest 2

Got mine sorted this evening. I had to roll back the update on my and Radeon rx480. Anything above 20.11.1 causes issues.

Ill try that, i have an rx480.

That seems to have worked. Thanks. Defo something wrong with my 3.0 usb ports so will have to make do with 2.0 ports when on link. Although when im plugged into the 3.0 port my headset detects it and says connected to 3.0. Strange. How brilliant is the opening intro scene of "I expect you to die"??

Have you develop set in oculus also?

Have you develop set in oculus also?

Yes, have that done. Think im getting places now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Downloaded The Thrill of The Fight earlier.

It is quite the workout to say the least!!
    Very enjoyable so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

mdwexford wrote: »
    Downloaded The Thrill of The Fight earlier.

It is quite the workout to say the least!!
    Very enjoyable so far though.

Downloaded that, FitXR and Creed as my quasi fitness games.

Creed is probably more graphically polished, but I'm preferring Thrill of The Fight. I'm still just on three round fights. Not sure that I'm prepared to go for a longer fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

druss wrote: »

Creed is probably more graphically polished, but I'm preferring Thrill of The Fight. I'm still just on three round fights. Not sure that I'm prepared to go for a longer fight!

Yeah I just did a couple of three round fights and I was sweating.
    Can’t imagine what a twelve rounder is like!!

Is FitXR good?
    Tempted to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

mdwexford wrote: »
    Yeah I just did a couple of three round fights and I was sweating.
    Can’t imagine what a twelve rounder is like!!

Is FitXR good?
    Tempted to give it a go.

I'm still working my way into FitXR. I haven't (and may never!) try a dance workout on it, unless I'm sure that the house is completely abandoned. So it's mainly boxing stuff I've been trying in FitXR too.

I've done a few classes, varying from 10 to 20 minutes in duration. It does require more squats, lunges and variations in movement when compared to the full-on boxing titles. That's to be expected, but is a positive.

I started by throwing punches as I would do in the fighting games and that hasn't worked, when I tried it on even medium difficulty. To hit targets, I've found I have to punch much faster and in a more slappy motion. Not sure if I'm doing it right. There is a balance to be struck and I'm lucky to finish half way up my virtual class.

Still seems a worthy purchase though.

druss wrote: »

Thrill of the Fight actually makes me flinch when I get punched, it's that effective.

Great workout in the garden if you sweat like a pig :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I stumbled into echo VR the other night. I'm still new to the whole oculus thing, but it seemed like a very polished game considering it's free. I only got to play one actual match, and was on the receiving end of a pasting, but I can imagine it would be good if you were competitive.

RonnieL wrote: »
    I stumbled into echo VR the other night. I'm still new to the whole oculus thing, but it seemed like a very polished game considering it's free. I only got to play one actual match, and was on the receiving end of a pasting, but I can imagine it would be good if you were competitive.

Yeah it's a spin-off of Lone Echo (which I've just started playing).

They created this whole movement system which is highly immersive and I can imagine they were thinking it would be completely wasted if it was only used in the paid game, so why not extend it to be used in a free game which more people will get exposure to (can also be used as free advertising for Lone Echo!)

ok so Star Wars Squadrons is legit incredible with Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop.

I don't have a HOTAS, rather I was using an Xbox One S controller but in a way this is better as it's Bluetooth and I can sit down in my couch and "be" in the X-Wing, and no wires attached.

It was like one of those ads you see where the guy is sitting in his room, then puts on the headset and is suddenly transported to another universe without having to move a muscle. Fantastic stuff.

Games ran in my Virtual Desktop setup are running very poorly. Im getting massive latency which is killing me. Any suggestions how to get this down. My router( standard F2000 Eir router) is in an upstairs room and I have a few TP Link sockets areound the house to extend wifi and provide sockets for main PC. Oculus preforms great by its self when apps are loaded directly onto it and im connected to wifi.

Games ran in my Virtual Desktop setup are running very poorly. Im getting massive latency which is killing me. Any suggestions how to get this down. My router( standard F2000 Eir router) is in an upstairs room and I have a few TP Link sockets areound the house to extend wifi and provide sockets for main PC. Oculus preforms great by its self when apps are loaded directly onto it and im connected to wifi.

Are you on the 5GHz wifi network?

In most cases the router would need to be a couple of metres at most from where you are playing.
    In my case the router I have is shooting the signal through the floor (antennae pointing down through floor) but it's probably max 2-3 metres from me in a straight line.

Also make sure your router is plugged directly into the computer. This is key.
    I use a Cat7 cable to ensure max bandwidth.

Try out the suggestions in this video as it's what I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm4kbHeXGrg

I was getting 14ms latency last night but if you get between 18-22ms you're golden.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Are you on the 5GHz wifi network?

In most cases the router would need to be a couple of metres at most from where you are playing.
    In my case the router I have is shooting the signal through the floor (antennae pointing down through floor) but it's probably max 2-3 metres from me in a straight line.

Also make sure your router is plugged directly into the computer. This is key.
    I use a Cat7 cable to ensure max bandwidth.

Try out the suggestions in this video as it's what I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm4kbHeXGrg

I was getting 14ms latency last night but if you get between 18-22ms you're golden.

Cheers for that, ill mess around with it. I can connect to 5Ghz alright. Connecting PC direct to router might be my problem and will be an issue if I have to connect directly. Currently PC is connected to wall socket which in turn connects to router. It give me good speed and pings though.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, ill mess around with it. I can connect to 5Ghz alright. Connecting PC direct to router might be my problem and will be an issue if I have to connect directly. Currently PC is connected to wall socket which in turn connects to router. It give me good speed and pings though.

fenris said he was getting good rates using Powerline Adaptors but when I used my own to connect to the router the latency was up around 30+ and was severely jumping about the place.

My home network is all Powerline Adaptors and normally I have no issues with any other hardware.

I did a test by purchasing a 10m CAT 7 cable which I used to connect my computer direct to the 5Ghz router. The latency dropped to 18ms and I played the hell out of Half Life Alyx (with a bloody huge cable running down the stairs all month).

Then I came up with the 3rd option which was to add another router to the mix which solved all the issues...
    1. PC connects to new 2nd router (using the Cat 7 cable)
    2. 2nd router connects to powerline adaptor (using standard ethernet cable)
    3. Powerline adaptor connects to old 1st router downstairs

I then connect the Quest 2 to the 2nd router, rather than the 1st router.

The fact that the computer and 2nd router are connected directly rather than through the powerline lowers the latency to the 14-18ms I'm getting now.

This is the router I got:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/asus-rt-ax56u-wifi-cable-fibre-router-ax-1800-dual-band-10206054-pdt.html

It's actually the cheapest price these have been for a while, so worth possibly investing as it is also WiFi6 and more futureproof.

Advertisement