Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just to be sure... you can see the "latency" value when you are looking at the Streamer app on your desktop through Virtual Desktop in your headset

see the bottom left numbers in the image below (this is one I grabbed off the web)

Virtual-Desktop-Settings.png.webp

You want to get that value down to around 20ms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks for all the help lads, my latency is currently at 172 :(

Glebee wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help lads, my latency is currently at 172 :(

ok I'd say it might be the router. Try temporarily connecting the PC direct if you can. Your ISP might also provide a faster router for free. Pain I know :/ If it's still bad when your PC is plugged in then you'd know for sure.

Doom 3 out now (all run from the headset, doesn't require connected PC)

https://www.doom3quest.com/

Make sure you have the original Doom 3 installed on Steam (not the BFG edition)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

mrcheez wrote: »

The cheapest at the moment is €1.28 on Voidu

https://gg.deals/game/doom-3/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

fenris said he was getting good rates using Powerline Adaptors but when I used my own to connect to the router the latency was up around 30+ and was severely jumping about the place.

My setup is for Virtual Desktop is:

Router <- Powerline -> Laptop <- 5ghz Hotspot running on laptop-> Quest (quest is the only device on the hotspot)

I get a ping of between 2 and 9 ms between the laptop and the Quest depending on proximity, so that is lowest possible latency on the connection, then you have the overhead from the VR desktop protocol running across that connection which in my case gives a VR Desktop streamer reported latency best case of about 18ms and an average of about 25ms, moving further away from the laptop sees that rise dramatically (I suspect that there is a very low tolerance for errored / late packets with VR Desktop and that it slows right down before trying to rebuild speed to a stable level again), so the performance takes a nose dive rather than a smooth slowing, it is a two way process taking your movement info back then returning the updated screen info, so you can double the impact of disruption compared to simple video streaming.

So in my case I am minimising the amount of hops that the VR Desktop protocol has to traverse by keeping it to a single hop.
    Every hop will add latency as there is processing involved even with the most basic forwarding, processing takes time, not a lot but it adds up and is often doubled as there is a there and back element.

It may be worth pinging your router and Quest to see what the base level of latency is, it should be really low as in a couple of ms for powerline / wired connections (although dirty electrical devices can impact powerline adaptors in the same way that cheap microwave ovens/ video senders can hammer wifi), if it is high then you need to sort that before doing any heavy lifting across those connections, otherwise you are driving your Ferarri along a dirt track.

fenris wrote: »
    Router <- Powerline -> Laptop <- 5ghz Hotspot running on laptop-> Quest (quest is the only device on the hotspot)

ah right, I thought your setup was

Router <- Powerline -> Laptop

Router -> Quest

That's the setup I had and was pretty woeful. Good to hear the hotspot method works well from the laptop!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My set up is:
    PC----<powerline adapters>---bog standard vodafone Router
    <5Ghz wifi>----Quest

Never any issues the few times I've used it, have probably used the cable more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Good to hear the hotspot method works well from the laptop!

It can be a bit of a pain to setup initially, as the bridging from the wired connection to a hotspot was bugged in Windows10 last autumn but is apparently fixed now, you could connect but not get assigned an IP address, I sorted it after finding a solution online (nothing to do with DHCP/ fixed addresses as you would think) and am not going to mess with it for the time being!
    The other possible problem area is your AV/Firewall being a bit smartarse/pro-active and blocking the connection based on behaviour, I had that last week and just had to put a rule in place to tell it to leave the hotspot alone, really simple once you know where to look.

fyi, the version they shipped has somewhat downgraded graphics from what are supposed to be on display, so an update will be coming along in a few days with all the correct config settings

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/kvgsdy/massively_improved_textures_for_doom_3_without/

I'm personally gonna hold off on playing this for a few weeks until all the kinks are ironed out, and going to press on with my huge haul of VR games I got in the last 2 months ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ive ordered a wifi6 router and cat 7 cable. I report back with figures as soon as possible. https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wifi-AX1500-Smart-Router/dp/B07ZSDR49S

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ive ordered a wifi6 router and cat 7 cable. I report back with figures as soon as possible. https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wifi-AX1500-Smart-Router/dp/B07ZSDR49S

Just an FYI for future people, Cat5e is plenty for home use and much easier to work with, if you can get cat6 for same price then work away, cat7 is beyond over kill and you will get same result on all types.
    Cat5e can do gigabit speed easy. Cat 6 handy if you plan on upgrading to 10gigabit in the future, cat7 is pointless, unless for some odd reason you get it at same price, but even then it’s harder to work with so no point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

fyi, the version they shipped has somewhat downgraded graphics from what are supposed to be on display, so an update will be coming along in a few days with all the correct config settings

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/kvgsdy/massively_improved_textures_for_doom_3_without/

I'm personally gonna hold off on playing this for a few weeks until all the kinks are ironed out, and going to press on with my huge haul of VR games I got in the last 2 months ;)

Even as is its bloody great , better than the BFG fully possessed VR version from a few years ago.

brav wrote: »
    but even then it’s harder to work with so no point.

Weird, what do you mean "harder to work with"? You mean the cable is thicker?

Also for those who want to see their latency in VR while using Virtual Desktop, I found under the "Streaming" option in the Virtual Desktop menu (in headset) there is a checkbox to "Show Performance overlay"

Very handy to have this enabled. I found I was able to use "High" settings for some games, but then had to tune it down a bit for more demanding games.

So no more need to rely on just the Streamer app for the latency reading.

I also spoke to Guy Godin (the dev of Virtual Desktop) and he suggested a good latency within VR is: 30-40ms
    as there is more processing power involved than just looking at the desktop itself.

Weird, what do you mean "harder to work with"? You mean the cable is thicker?

Yes thicker, so pulling runs is little harder, plus if making off your own connections, Cat6's thickness(AWG) is more finicky/takes more patience than Cat5e.
    In this day and age with the price of Cat6 its prob easier to just go with that, but for speed wise, since CAt5e can do 2.5Gbit/s and since your router etc prob have max 1Gbit/s ports, there is no need for more really. Cat7 brings better shielding so can do 100m runs of 10Gbit/s instead of Cat6 50m runs of 10Gbit/s.

*Note I say all this but in my own house I even have a few runs of fibre and DAC between my router and switches so I understand the desire to overkill

Yes thicker, so pulling runs is little harder, plus if making off your own connections, Cat6's thickness(AWG) is more finicky/takes more patience than Cat5e.
    In this day and age with the price of Cat6 its prob easier to just go with that, but for speed wise, since CAt5e can do 2.5Gbit/s and since your router etc prob have max 1Gbit/s ports, there is no need for more really. Cat7 brings better shielding so can do 100m runs of 10Gbit/s instead of Cat6 50m runs of 10Gbit/s.

*Note I say all this but in my own house I even have a few runs of fibre and DAC between my router and switches so I understand the desire to overkill

Interesting. Yes I did notice it was pretty thick, though I put this down to better construction.

The price of my Cat7 wasn't particularly more expensive than the equivalent Cat5/6 so I just went with that in order to futureproof it. I don't usually buy ethernet cables so this will probably last me for the next 15 years by which stage it might be better to be using Cat7

For a short ethernet cable between router and PC the thickness probably doesn't matter so I guess go for whatever you can afford, I was just basing it on my own experience as I found it was slow compared to my old Cat5.

Cat 7 cable arrived today. It's actually a flat cable. Thought it would be round. Waiting on router now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What games did you get?

I was able to get virtual desktop working last night by dropping all the graphics settings to the lowest and connecting to 5ghz wifi. My latency was still bouncing from 60-100 but its an improvement from 300+. Going to see about getting a spare router and connect to PC and then to powerline adaptor as well as get a long (25m) Cat5e cable to connect direct to router. Have to talk nice to one of the lads in Telecoms department in work to swindle these..:D

My Anker cable still wont let me connect Oculus Link over 3.0 USB even though it works for Side Quest. Something strange there.. As well as that headset is charging over cable connected to 3.0 USB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

I was able to get virtual desktop working last night by dropping all the graphics settings to the lowest and connecting to 5ghz wifi. My latency was still bouncing from 60-100 but its an improvement from 300+. Going to see about getting a spare router and connect to PC and then to powerline adaptor as well as get a long (25m) Cat5e cable to connect direct to router. Have to talk nice to one of the lads in Telecoms department in work to swindle these..:D

My Anker cable still wont let me connect Oculus Link over 3.0 USB even though it works for Side Quest. Something strange there.. As well as that headset is charging over cable connected to 3.0 USB

I use a Huawei Honor 3 Wifi-6 Router I picked up for 60 quid. Cable the PC to the router, connect the headset to the 5Ghz wifi channel, works great. Headset connects at 1200Mbs, latency is about 20-30ms.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    What games did you get?

off the top of my head....

Lone Echo
    Westworld Awakening (actually just completed this, it's great)
    Path of the Warrior
    Asgard's Wrath
    Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners (along with about 10 other games as part of "that" Humble Bundle)
    Budget Cuts
    Pixel Ripped 89/95 combo for Quest (actually I won this)
    plus a few others I can't think of....

Not to mention getting about 7 or 8 Switch Games like Luigi's Mansion 3 / Mario All Stars / Horace / Hue ... and some PS4 games like Last of Us Part 2

fml

Star Wars Squadrons too... how can I forget that :D

So far not so great my end. Im not sure if I just dont have the settings set correctly.

I have the Archer AX1500 wifi6 router.

Cat7 cable.

Vodafone internet ( 72 Mbps download speed and 16Mbps upload )
    Virtual desktop steamer bounces around 95ms whilst playing phasmophobia.
    My pc connects on virtual desktop on 5Ghz 1200Mbps.

My setup is Modem at front door connected to the archer router with a 10m cat 7 cable. I then have a 10m cat7 cable going from the archer router to the pc. My oculus quest is 2 metres from the router.

This is the guide I followed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUl4BPnqbkE&t=1730s

Any suggestions to improve the latency

Any suggestions to improve the latency

Anything between the quest and router like a wall or anything? Line of sight is best

Anything between the quest and router like a wall or anything? Line of sight is best

No nothing. I'm sat beside the router. I have the cable running up the hallway and into the sitting room. It's just temporary whilst i tested the speed etc.
    Could the pc and gfx card effect the latency? As in the spec

Been messing around with my set up as well tonight. Got my hands on a second F2000 Eir router. Can I use this to connect my PC to powerline adaptor? Have tried but does not seem to want to work.

No nothing. I'm sat beside the router. I have the cable running up the hallway and into the sitting room. It's just temporary whilst i tested the speed etc.
    Could the pc and gfx card effect the latency? As in the spec

What settings are you using in Virtual Desktop in the menu you see in headset?

In particular the Streaming menu option.

Have you got the latest version of the streamer installed? 1.18.7 afaik.

Try disconnecting the modem from the router and just connect to PC via local network on the router.

Also make sure to use H.264 encoding on the streamer app.

What settings are you using in Virtual Desktop in the menu you see in headset?

In particular the Streaming menu option.

Have you got the latest version of the streamer installed? 1.18.7 afaik.

Try disconnecting the modem from the router and just connect to PC via local network on the router.

Also make sure to use H.264 encoding on the streamer app.

Yes its 1.18.7.

Streaming options are : Vr gfx quality medium, Frame rate 60fps, Vr bitrate 60Mbps.

Yes its 1.18.7.

Streaming options are : Vr gfx quality medium, Frame rate 60fps, Vr bitrate 60Mbps.

try

medium settings, 80 hz, 55 mbps bitrate

Also are any values showing in yellow under the computer section? This might indicate where something is struggling.

Enable sliced encoding too on the main tab.

You don't have any processes running like an anti-virus or firewall slowing the connection?

What latency are you getting just on the desktop itself? No VR running I mean.

• Advertisement

try

medium settings, 80 hz, 55 mbps bitrate

Also are any values showing in yellow under the computer section? This might indicate where something is struggling.

Enable sliced encoding too on the main tab.

You don't have any processes running like an anti-virus or firewall slowing the connection?

Packed it in for tonight:o Ill try again tomorrow. I do have a firewall running and windows virus protection. Ill have a look again

Advertisement