Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Doom 3 has been updated with several fixes so I'm going to give it another go tonight.

Also going to load in a HD Texture pack: https://mega.nz/file/d0cTgQbb#qog-a3T-SgRLqtgJ5cLh9y9OpJrlY2waRUCS7eRKp_k

And Trent Reznor sound pack for guns: https://download.cnet.com/Doom-3-Trent-Reznor-sound-pack/3000-7441_4-10309314.html

Just copy both pak files to the "base" folder on the headset in the Doom 3 folder (overwriting whatever files are there)

EDIT: actually just checking the readme in the sound pack it suggests renaming the existing pak file in an incremental format, so pak005 should be renamed to pak006, pak006 should be pak007 etc... before copying in this pak005 file

It's perhaps because Trent Reznor didn't complete sounds for everything so perhaps we still need sound effects for everything else.

EDIT 2: The Doom3 dev suggested instead just rename the sound file to: pak999.pk4
    that way it gets loaded last and overwrites only the replaced sounds

Did anyone try the VRCover foam replacement set?

Thinking of maybe getting this one: https://eu.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-foam-replacement-set-for-oculus%E2%84%A2-quest-2-magenta-light-grey

Their Oculus Go one was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

mrcheez wrote: »
    Doom 3 has been updated with several fixes so I'm going to give it another go tonight.

Also going to load in a HD Texture pack: https://mega.nz/file/d0cTgQbb#qog-a3T-SgRLqtgJ5cLh9y9OpJrlY2waRUCS7eRKp_k

And Trent Reznor sound pack for guns: https://download.cnet.com/Doom-3-Trent-Reznor-sound-pack/3000-7441_4-10309314.html

Just copy both pak files to the "base" folder on the headset in the Doom 3 folder (overwriting whatever files are there)

EDIT: actually just checking the readme in the sound pack it suggests renaming the existing pak file in an incremental format, so pak005 should be renamed to pak006, pak006 should be pak007 etc... before copying in this pak005 file

It's perhaps because Trent Reznor didn't complete sounds for everything so perhaps we still need sound effects for everything else.

EDIT 2: The Doom3 dev suggested instead just rename the sound file to: pak999.pk4
    that way it gets loaded last and overwrites only the replaced sounds

I installed Doom3 at the weekend. Just bog standard release with purchased files on top. Great fun playing so far , but havent progressed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Doom 3 is great fun borrowed my young lads gaming rig a couple days ago and got it set up on the Quest.

Does the HD texture pack make much difference?

Doom 3 is great fun borrowed my young lads gaming rig a couple days ago and got it set up on the Quest.

Does the HD texture pack make much difference?

yeah it looks great. Sound pack is great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Have not tried to get Virtual Desktop working again for a few days but what ever I done I got it working earlier. Still have PC hooked direct to Power Line socket. Latency averaging about 40. No orange figures on the performance overlay for the majority of the time. Even got it working with Asgards Wraith on Low with no link cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

It is worth turning off Nvidia overlay if you have it on, as it seems to be bugged and impacts performance especially for SteamVR
    Apparently a patch is on its way, this is part of what messed up Starwars Squadrons on SteamVR at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey guys!

I mentioned to my dad just before Xmas that if I was getting a headset, I'd get the quest 2 and lo and behold the jerk bought one on a whim just before Xmas. Can't complain too much though as he bought me one too as my Xmas present that I've only gotten my hands on this week due to isolation.

So now that I've got it set up, I'm trying to catch up with a few things that I'd really appreciate some information on:
    1. Papa bear bought a good few games already and we're trying to see if we can swap them with each other. I've done this sort of thing with playstation and nintendo before but this is a new ecosystem for me.
    2. Found the forehead really felt sore after 45 mins the first time I used it. It was a bit better today but still hurts a bit, is there a guide for setting up the straps? Doesn't help the kids get on it regularly to mess with them :D
    3. At this moment the only thing I've tried is beat sabre, any good games/apps to look into?
    4. I presume it makes much more sense financially not to be using the occulus store for everything, are people primarily purchasing games/apps elsewhere?

Looking forward to getting some time with it and learning more about my new toy!

RedXIV wrote: »
    [*]I presume it makes much more sense financially not to be using the occulus store for everything, are people primarily purchasing games/apps elsewhere?

Just on this, do you have a powerful VR-compatible gaming PC you can connect it to? That opens up the opportunity to buy PCVR games on Steam and play them wirelessly.

If not then you can just buy games native to the Quest alone on the Oculus Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Spent a good three hours last night late lost in Google Earth VR, amazing app. Is there much difference in Google Earth VR vs Wanderer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Hey guys!

I mentioned to my dad just before Xmas that if I was getting a headset, I'd get the quest 2 and lo and behold the jerk bought one on a whim just before Xmas. Can't complain too much though as he bought me one too as my Xmas present that I've only gotten my hands on this week due to isolation.

So now that I've got it set up, I'm trying to catch up with a few things that I'd really appreciate some information on:
    1. Papa bear bought a good few games already and we're trying to see if we can swap them with each other. I've done this sort of thing with playstation and nintendo before but this is a new ecosystem for me.
    2. Found the forehead really felt sore after 45 mins the first time I used it. It was a bit better today but still hurts a bit, is there a guide for setting up the straps? Doesn't help the kids get on it regularly to mess with them :D
    3. At this moment the only thing I've tried is beat sabre, any good games/apps to look into?
    4. I presume it makes much more sense financially not to be using the occulus store for everything, are people primarily purchasing games/apps elsewhere?

Looking forward to getting some time with it and learning more about my new toy!

This is your Dad here. I've changed my mind and am taking the Oculus back and giving it to your sister, you ungrateful little prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

Hey guys!

You'll need an aftermarket replacement strap, the headset is borderline unusable its so uncomfortable without one. Elite strap seems to be the most popular. Look into a replacement facial interface too, vrcover seems to be popular. There are chinese clones for both knocking about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Hey guys!

4. Fire up Sidequest and get games like Doom 3 and Wolfenstein installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Is there any consensus on a head strap available on amazon?

Tbh they all look identical to me (probably all coming off the same assembly line :D), but not sure if these are modified Quest 1 straps or something and it's still best to wait?

Got the silicon VR cover from a recommendation here and it's a massive improvement, hoping a new strap will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I got the fake elite and a PU cushion face cover from AliExpress. I didn’t feel the benefit straight away, but recently watched a 2.5 hour movie without experiencing any discomfort. This is something I couldn’t do on Q1 or the out of the box set up on Q2.

From reading some comparison reviews the official elite seems to be marginally better than fake elite, halo, and franklinQuest.

I’ve got the halo ordered, so looking forward to trying that when it arrives.

On a side note, it was such a nice experience watching a movie in BigScreen betas theatre. Obviously not the same as a cinema experience, but it was pretty dam close.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

I tried the demo for warplanes WW1 Fighters, really enjoyed it. I normally wouldn't like that genre but it works really well on the quest. Has to be installed through side quest. https://youtu.be/uea3cdJT4CA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Great minds :-)
    I just loaded up the Warplanes demo last night, enjoyed it, definitely has promise, I will probably upgrade to the paid version,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Aliexpress "elite" strap showed up. Can't even remember when I ordered it! No instructions, but assume this isn't that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

fenris wrote: »
    Great minds :-)
    I just loaded up the Warplanes demo last night, enjoyed it, definitely has promise, I will probably upgrade to the paid version,

Apologies for what may a silly question, where do I find this game? Can't see it on the Quest app.

Is it a sidequest job?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Apologies for what may a silly question, where do I find this game? Can't see it on the Quest app.

Is it a sidequest job?

yip

https://sidequestvr.com/app/2536/warplanes-ww1-fighters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Star ware Squadrons is pretty amazing to be honest. It's a little cumbersome to load into the game but amazing when you#'re flying about. Playing with an Xbox 360 controller and love it. Think my PC should be able to output to the headset un ultra as the game plays fine on my 34" screen OK but the framerate seems to take a noticeable dip from what I would expect. I'll have to tinker with it the in game VR settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hi guys - where can I order a quest2 online and avoid the brexit delays?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hi guys - where can I order a quest2 online and avoid the brexit delays?

Thanks

Direct from the Oculus.com website. They seem to have caught up with the backlog of orders and it says it will be delivered on February 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Have the young lads rig here for a couple of days. Any games or apps I wont need the PC for anyone would recommend that I can transfer to the quest? ala doom 3 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Dante7 wrote: »
    Direct from the Oculus.com website. They seem to have caught up with the backlog of orders and it says it will be delivered on February 1st.

Great thanks for the info, are there any recommended accessories?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Hey guys. Are there any other options than Elite straps with the battery pack? They seem out of stock on Oculus.

The Halo came this week.

Like the fake elite, I wasn’t impressed upon initial impressions, but after I fiddled around with it for a day or so, it got much better.

I think the Halo will be my go to strap for watching movies,

My main issue so far is that the headset feels a bit wobbly, this happens because it sits on your forehead rather than pressed against the face, so probably not good for games like Beat Saber.

It’s really comfortable, probably more so than the fake elite, I think it would be great for stationary games like Phantom: Covert Ops, and I Expect You To Die. Whereas the Fake elites will be good for Thrill of the Fight, BoxVR etc.

Very handy to click them on/off. Have to say, it’s a great design from Facebook.

druss wrote: »
    Aliexpress "elite" strap showed up. Can't even remember when I ordered it! No instructions, but assume this isn't that difficult.

I struggled for about 3 minutes before I got annoyed and watched a video. It’s simple when you’ve done it once, and once it’s assembled it’s easy to clip off and back on again.

• Advertisement

Swampy wrote: »
    Hey guys. Are there any other options than Elite straps with the battery pack? They seem out of stock on Oculus.

Seems to be in stock for me when I add to cart.

https://www.oculus.com/accessories/quest-2-elite-strap-battery-case/

Shipping date is March 19th... wow!

Advertisement