Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

BoboVR would be the best option imo.

They have the best halo strap on the market for Quest 2 and the fact you can get a retro fit kit for Quest 3 is highly commendable.

And if you're a weirdo like MrCheez who doesn't like halo straps they have the elite style strap also. 😁😜

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm just stuck to Zuck 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

@mrcheez referral terms updated. As we suspected a new meta account needed although we did say make a burner account, refer yourself, gift yourself a 30 euro game from burner account then move your Quest 3 to your main account 😄. Im sure Meta have this blocked somehow. Or maybe theres a pitfall Im not seeing.

haha I actually forgot about this... was ready to active the damned thing with my own account asap

Ive never moved a headset from 1 meta account to another. Lets say you setup Quest 3 with the burner account, claim the referral credit on both accounts, gift your main meta account a game. Is the next step factory reset your Quest 3 then set it up with your main account? Maybe its too much of a faff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paulie13

A newbie, so a bit confused by this. Have registered on the Meta Quest app and my Quest 3 was dispatched today. Haven’t had a headset before. Am I right in thinking that if I share the email address I registered with and someone sends me a referral link before I activate it, I get €30 game credit? First one to confirm, I’ll DM with my email address. Thanks!

Ive tagged you in our referral thread. Next person on the list will PM you a referral link. Theres instructions on how to accept a referral in the quoted post. If you've already created a meta account I think you can open a referral link and login with the meta account youve already created to accept a referral. If successful you and the referrer get 30 euro credit for quest store. Just be sure to accept a referral link before turning on the Quest 3 headset. Any questions let me know 👍

Hey @mrcheez , just wondering if your UPS tracking number is valid at this point. Mine is still showing as invalid!

yeah still showing up ok for me... date moved forward too

you clicked the "UPS tracking" number in the email yeah?

from what I understand, it's possible to have multiple accounts on one headset. I already have 2 accounts in fact (from the fiasco when my FB burner account was locked)

To be honest I haven't tried yet as my Quest 2 has been disconnected from the internet for 2 years now (and I've been sailing the high seas)

• Advertisement

Headset delivered today! Wtf?

Anyway I can't use it till later... fml

Yeah, pleasantly surprised as well. Mine is showing as out for delivery. Pretty impressed. Now all I need is my prescription lenses to get here!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 guitarless

Anyone know if there's stock around Dublin? I missed the boat on Smyths and Currys it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dropped in the door earlier, though the dock won't be around till tomorrow or Friday. Not too fussed as probably won't have a proper look until the weekend. Will still be waiting until November anyway to get the best use from it in any case, given VR Opticians timeframe for their lenses.

Nice small unit now, somewhat 'toy-like', if you get me, especially considering where its come from since the original VR headsets. Standard strap looks highly uncomfortable though so that will be getting replaced straight off the bat.

Opened the box there... very nice box, great for storage, no need for extra carry case (though will have to see if it fits the Elite Strap which it prob won't)

Headset has got a nice weight to it, feels very nice and premium.

The controllers fit nicely in my big hands too :)

Charging now... will try setting up a new account to activate it with and hopefully get 2 x €30 credit. GF can use this account to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Seems to be an unusual amount of people elsewhere suggesting a batch of dead pixels doing the rounds and looking for exchanges. Might have to fire it up this evening to check it out myself.

Can't say I've ever had similar with any headset I've owned, but if it's trapped dust etc, that could be a QC issue.

Edit - Feck it. Had a quick look before heading out the door. Setup was 'sort of OK'.....kind of tripped itself up when updating and asking you to go through the phone app. Restart of the headset allowed it to continue. Room setup seemed fine, though it does ask you to go through a more thorough scan when starting anything MR. Speaking of which, that First Encounters could be a great little demo with a gathering of people.

Have a dead pixel though which can be hard to spot on normal stuff but once you shorten your focal length to focus on the lenses so to speak in a single colour environment, it's fairly identifiable. Might be some dust as well blowing around courtesy of the cooling. Could easily be eyeball debris though so not overly concerned about that. Dead pixel though will need some attention when I get a better chance at the weekend. Might be able to work it clear, because I'd hate to be running the gauntlet of exchanging etc.

Post edited by McDermotX on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Got to play with this....

The first bit of good news is: the burner account thing worked and I got 2 x €30 credits setting up the headset with a new account (one for the new account and one for my old account which created the referral). I can also log into the headset with my old account and play my existing library.

I redeemed Asgard's Wrath 2 on the new account, but some people on reddit are claiming that you can play it on any account after that.. not sure on that one yet as the game isn't installed yet.

No sign of the 6 months free Quest+ which is unusual.

Now onto the experience...

Headstrap: It's surprisingly more comfortable than the Q2 one and feels more robust. It doesn't lie on my ears as it seems to for others so it's actually quite usable and doesn't slip like the Q2 one. If it weren't for the battery running down so quickly I would in fact be happy enough using the strap alone. The weight of the headset is far better balanced so doesn't slip around when you turn your head rapidly. It can also get really tight on the face if you want.

Screen: I did notice 1 teeny tiny dead pixel, but it's so microscopic that it's only visible in complete blackness and doesn't seem to appear in game. So that's a pass I guess.

Passthrough: is the first thing you encounter during setup and I was a little surprised as I was expecting it all to be crystal clear based on what people were saying. It's still surprisingly blurry unless looking at objects held 30cm away from you. I was expecting it to be amazing, so it's "OK". Still looks like you're looking at the world with Vaseline smeared on your glasses.

Initial setup: I assumed the "First steps" app would automatically start when you initially complete the setup, so it's a little confusing where to find it as the menu is a bit hard to navigate. Once you start it though the mixed reality thing is very good with little aliens jumping behind tables and climbing up door frames.

Visuals: For some reason text appears the same for me whatever IPD setting I choose so I messed around with the IPD setting and put it on a value of 62, but even 54 looked the same to me. I mention this because no matter what IPD I used, everything looks almost identical to the Q2 at the moment, which took me by surprise.

The virtual environments still appear with the same blurry textures and don't appear sharper.

I guess we really need to see optimisations and updated apps before we really see the benefits. In fact I might grab Red Matter 2 as I've yet to play that. Will see if a sale comes up.

FOV and pancake lenses: Yeah definite improvement here, didn't experience the same goggle effect, and no more sweet spot issues.

Speakers: Really loud... much better than the q2 ones.. in fact I had to put volume about 3 bars lower than I usually have them on the Q2.

Overall... surprised by the comfort of the default strap given what others have said. I might have been over-expecting on the visual side and it was either the same or slightly better than Q2 in its current iteration. The mixed reality stuff was cool, although it was just a short experience.

Happy enough and I do recommend doing the dual account thing I did if you want €60 in store credit 😁

Post edited by mrcheez on

Gifted Red Matter 2 to my main account from the burner account... €29.99... nice freebie there!

I'm reading into it and I THINK I might need to factory reset the Q3 to let me use my main account since it can only have one admin.

So I guess if I want to play Asgard's Wrath 2 later on I just need to factory reset it again and log in using the burner account... will see...

• Advertisement

Ive completed Red Matter 2. Excellent game and just about the best looking game on Quest 2 standalone. Should look even better on Quest 3 as Ive seen plenty of comparisons showing the upgraded textures, shadowing etc.

Fyi if anyone want to hold off on redeeming bundled freebies until after factory resetting to keep everything in your main meta account with game library from Quest 2.

Post edited by jj880 on

As per my other comment on the referral thread, I was able to add my main account to the headset as is and have access to my full library including Asgards Wrath 2.

In theory if I factory reset the device I should be able to redeem Asgards Wrath again on the main account too.

Will try tomorrow.

Superhot looks amazing on this. Racket Fury seems to crash so I guess it needs some updates.

I still haven't received any notification about Quest+ so I guess I've yet to redeem that. This month's games are kinda boring so I can hold off.

Ah found the "Start 6 Month Trial" button now...seems it took a while to kick in

Edited my last post from "you" to "anyone". I meant fyi for anyone in general but on reading back it did sound like it was directed at you. Yeah that would be handy if Asgards Wrath 2 can be redeemed again after a reset.

Ah dunno if I'll bother, I can't see the benefit of resetting just to get the one game on my account...I already have the pcvr version from the earlier freebie thing they did. Main thing I wanted was to get the free €60.

Just tested Tetris Effect and In Death.

Simply jaw dropping...and that's without any Quest 3 specific updates!!

The facial interface is nice. No red marks on face and not sweaty.

so...I'm coming from Quest 2 and would like to redeem Asgards quest and the 6 month trial on my existing account. What are the suggested steps ?

Do you want the €60 extra free credits?

• Advertisement

To get the free credit you need to activate the headset with a new account using the steps I took here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121224934/#Comment_121224934

Note that before claiming Asgard's Wrath 2 you can possibly reset the device and log back in using your main account.

The way I did it left the new account as the admin, and then added my existing account as a second account but it behaves the same as if it were the main account and has access to all the new account's games including Asgard's Wrath 2

As for Quest+ I've no idea if that is tied to the first account or the 2nd account as I haven't factory reset yet (not sure if I will)

Advertisement