Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel Account Waiting on 1901 all morning

• 15-03-2019 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I need to cancel my account. I have been calling 1901 all morning... waiting some times for over 1 hour. This is ridiculous. How can I cancel my account if I cant even get through to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

kellep wrote: »
    I need to cancel my account. I have been calling 1901 all morning... waiting some times for over 1 hour. This is ridiculous. How can I cancel my account if I cant even get through to them?
    Hi kellep, 

Our apologies for the delay in getting through to our cancellation team. 

The process to cancel your account can be found on this link

The only way that you can cancel your account is to either speak to an agent in our loyalty team or send a letter to the address in the link 

Thanks,
    Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

I keep highlighting that the linked page does not tell a customer how to cancel.
    It only shows how to switch.

"send a letter to the address in the link"

You do not need to use An Post registered post to cancel your account.

You can log your cancellation request via the Eir log a complaint page

https://www.eir.ie/logacomplaint.jsp

You will get a response from ccm@eir.ie

This email meets the Eir contract conditions for 30 day cancellation.

You can them respond by email.

If you are not getting action you can escalate by formally request a complaint number.
    This number is very important because it has clout with the regulator.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigmick1

paddy19 wrote: »
    I keep highlighting that the linked page does not tell a customer how to cancel.

If you are not getting action you can escalate by formally request a complaint number.

Thanks paddy19, very helpful. Is it the automated email you would respond to when complaint is lodged or would you wait till they respond in 3-5 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Wearandtear

It took me 2 weeks of calling 1901 to get through to them. On hold for between 50-70 minutes each time. Infuriating. I eventually called at 8 a.m., their opening hours, and got through after 43 minutes on hold. Lucky me!

bigmick1 wrote: »
    Thanks paddy19, very helpful. Is it the automated email you would respond to when complaint is lodged or would you wait till they respond in 3-5 days?

I am not an Eir rep. (Boards requested clarification).

Yes you can respond to ccm@eir.ie

I'd give them the 5 days. Then request the formal complaint number recognised by ComReg.

After 10 days go to ComReg with or without the complaint number at consumerline@comreg.ie

Keep us updated on how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

Why don’t people cancel the direct debit? There is no way in hell I’ll spends hours waiting on a phone.

I would simple make an effort to call and cancel, if I was left on hold for substantial amount of time I would hang up and send them an email.

Let them contact you after.

Slanty wrote: »
    Why don’t people cancel the direct debit? There is no way in hell I’ll spends hours waiting on a phone.

I would simple make an effort to call and cancel, if I was left on hold for substantial amount of time I would hang up and send them an email.

Let them contact you after.
    I am not an Eir rep. (Boards requested clarification).

The problem with just cancelling the direct debit is that you have not fulfilled the contract you agreed with Eir.
    This means that you continue to be liable for all charges that continue to accumulate.
    This will lead to more bills and debt collectors.

Importantly the phone companies have set up a credit vetting system which will log you as a defaulter.
    This will make it more difficult to get a contract in the future.

You should fulfil the contract you have signed which requires 30 days written notice to Eir.

The process I outlined above meets the conditions of the contract.

Once that written notice is date stamped by the acknowledgement email your liability has stopped.

It's just another 5 minutes work but well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

Agree with the letter but what if money is still taken from your account?

The contract which is signed up for states to give 30 days notice yet they make it impossible to give the actual notice because they don’t have a customer service.

Like I said before. I would go all the correct routes to cancel my contract but I value my time so I will not be wasting 60 minutes on hold 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

I have the same problem. I'm still within my trials period, so if I cancel today, I shouldn't be charged with cancellation fee. However, the customer support won't give me my UAN (needed to make the switch to another provider) and now I'm calling again and waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

kellep wrote: »
    Hi kellep,

Our apologies for the delay in getting through to our cancellation team.

The process to cancel your account can be found on this link

The only way that you can cancel your account is to either speak to an agent in our loyalty team or send a letter to the address in the link

Thanks,
    Grainne
    I've the same problem. Want to cancel, can't get through. Also your cancellation form on eir website opens a blank error page. https://www.eir.ie/.content/pdf/terms/cooling_off.pdf

So that option doesn't work either. You literally make it impossible for someone to cancel and switch. I'm within my 2 week cooling-off period until tomorrow and I don't want to pay cancellation fees because I'm within the right to cancel for free!

• Advertisement

I've the same problem. Want to cancel, can't get through. Also your cancellation form on eir website opens a blank error page. https://www.eir.ie/.content/pdf/terms/cooling_off.pdf

So that option doesn't work either. You literally make it impossible for someone to cancel and switch. I'm within my 2 week cooling-off period until tomorrow and I don't want to pay cancellation fees because I'm within the right to cancel for free!

I’d email your cancellation to the above email address. Do you have any correspondence at all from before you went to Eir that would give you your UAN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

paddy19 wrote: »

Hi paddy19, 

The link that I provide in my post above is the correct link. Switching and cancelling your account is the same process. That is the reason why I provide the above link. 

The email address that you provided is the incorrect email address for cancellation purposes. That email address is the dedicated email address for complaints. 

Thanks,
    Grainne

Hi Grainne,

The post you provide does not outline how to cancel it shows how to switch.
    You might ask you web people to update the page to clearly show customer the process for cancelling.

The email ccm@eir.ie is indeed the email for complaints.

I think it is quite legitimate for kellep who has been waiting for more than an hour for service to complain
     about the abysmal service. By complaining kellep is also documenting the request for cancellation.

Your alternative registered post solution is that kellep should:

Print a cancellation request, if you have a printer, cartridge and paper.
    Get an envelope, if you have an envelope
    Go to the local post office, opening hours 9.30 to 5.30 Monday to Friday.
    Queue up and wait for the next available counter
    Pay €8 for registered mail to prove to Eir that you sent the request.
    Wait for Eir to acknowledge your request.

My proposed process is send an email to
    ccm@eir.ie to complain that you are cancelling but cannot get through.

I guess it's up to kellep which process they want to use!

As a modern high powered communications company does Eir feel even a little embarrassed
    that it is still telling customers to send them a registered letter?

Advertisement