Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful with remote work scam?

Options
  • 15-03-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,

I came across some site that I can apply for my remote work.

I did some simple online coding test on the site. and passed it. - That was Stage 1.
    Now I am on Stage 2. which I have to submit Full-stack Shopping e-commerce software in 14days.

G4Q36oO.png

But their requirement is ridiculous.
    Given a sample database in MySQL, you will need to implement the backend and frontend (Check out the files at: https://github.com/zandoan/turing-fullstack). There are a lot of stored procedures inside the database.
    If you are strong in Node and React, please do this challenge in Node and React, since we have maximum customers who want Node+React full stack engineers, and lot of opportunities to match you quickly for medium to long term projects, if you do exceptional work in this project.

Feature requirements
    • Users can see all items when entering the website
    • Items are displayed properly based on the selected department and category
    • Users can search items through search box
    • Support paging if we have to many items
    • Users can see item details by selecting a specific item
    • Users can add items to their shopping carts
    • Users can register/login using website custom forms, or social login libraries
    • Users can checkout with 3rd party payment gateways: Paypal, Stripe…
    • Users will get confirmations over emails about their orders

https://youtu.be/ig_MRHCzahw
    https://youtu.be/k8qBlQ6pK_4
    https://youtu.be/DPvmbXPI-A0

Above links are they showed me as Sample software.

I really don't understand how they ask people to make this software in 14days.
    and I am more sceptical now that they are just a scam and taking advantage of the developer's source code.

What do you guys reckon?
    Is this really industry standards that making this application only taking 2weeks of time?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

I'm a junior developer, as such I'm not exactly experienced with interview procedures.

The above sounds ridiculous. It's like they want you to complete an app for a client. If it was a small feature or mini project fair enough. But the above would cost good money to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

It's a good bit of work but it's not that complicated. Should be easily able to complete it within two weeks, everything is pretty straightforward. Use GraphQL with something like Prisma and GQL Yoga for the backend (Node) and React with Apollo Client in the front end. Stripe is extremely easy to implement as is social Auth so all that kinda stuff is handled externally and you're not responsible for personal data.

That said, I would be suspicious of them expecting a full featured app like this for a bloody coding test. You might well be right that they're trying to get work for free. Also, fùck doing a 2 week long code challenge for a vague offer of remote work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sounds like a bit of a scam to me to build a fully working app from scratch. That and it seems they are just an agency, whose github account is just a few months old

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is a scam, there are lots of these sites around and yes they will sell your code.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If you don't know the exact name of the company you are applying for then assume it's a scam.

Even if it's not, anyone expecting a coding test that they think would take 2 weeks should be laughed at and ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

The company is Turing - they sell their services as employing the top 1% of software developers to deliver premium level products. If you want to work for them as a software engineer then machine level efficiency is expected and delivering production level products on tight deadlines is a given. With that in mind you shouldn't expect anything less from the recruitment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Talisman wrote: »
    The company is Turing - they sell their services as employing the top 1% of software developers to deliver premium level products. If you want to work for them as a software engineer then machine level efficiency is expected and delivering production level products on tight deadlines is a given. With that in mind you shouldn't expect anything less from the recruitment process.

The top 1% don't work for free for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

matrim wrote: »
    It's a mindset thing - some don't consider such a challenge to be 'work'.

If you know what you're at then the project outlined is not that substantial and shouldn't take 2 weeks to implement. If you go about implementing everything from scratch then of course it is going to be a lot of work but that is not what you're being asked to do. They have provided the database for you - that's the biggest headache taken care of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What's your source for this, other than the spiel on their website. I'd be very interested to know where they get that 1% figure from, i.e. source of the data, metric used etc..., as it seems like something a marketing type has pulled out of their arse. Doing a search on Turing.com shows they're it is a website registered in Scotsdale, Denver. Their LinkedIn page says they've 26 employees (mostly remote, all very new) and were founded in 2018. More hype than scam I reckon but I certainly wouldn't give them two weeks of my time, YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

matrim wrote: »

I’m nowhere near the top 1% and even I wouldn’t work for free for 1 day let alone 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's a startup company based in the US, so it's hard to see how they can back up a claim like that. Are these guys paying top 1% rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Berserker wrote: »
    It's a startup company based in the US, so it's hard to see how they can back up a claim like that. Are these guys paying top 1% rates?

What would they need to pay for. Hasn't the work been done by all the applicant's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Berserker wrote: »

Not even sure what the top 1% means. My experience is that the best money follows demonstrable ability in a sought after niche area, which isn't the same as being a good or even great programmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you are in the top 1% you're more likely to be headhunted than having to go to an agency, fulfill lots of tests and then await a decision to say if you are good enough for them to find you a job.
    Building an ecommerce site is not quantum mechanics so not sure what that will prove bar showing good programming practices which hardly even proves you are competent programmer (I built an site for the same thing a few months back, took maybe a week on and off - I ain't anywhere near the best programmer in the world, got some terrible habits)

Advertisement