Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Offer & Counter Offer

Options
  • 15-03-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Is it ever a good idea to accept a counter offer?

I wasn't looking to change jobs. My old employer contacted me to ask if I'd go back. He's offered a great package and one I didn't think my current employer would consider matching - I didn't think company policy would allow it. I accepted the offer but didn't sign any contract yet. However my current boss is adamant that she will do whatever it takes to keep me. She has pulled a lot of strings and the current company has put forward a counter offer which is even better than the one made by my old employer. I know it's a very lucky position I'm in but I'm finding it very stressful. Either way, I'm going to upset one of them. I'm also concerned that if I accept the counter offer and stay then my co-workers might well be peed off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

The prevailing wisdom I've always heard is that you should never accept a counter-offer, but that comes from working in the US where a counter-offer is most likely going to be the company just trying to get you to stick around just long enough for them to find a cheaper replacement and avoid any disruption to their business, after which they'll most likely fire you (in the US employees can generally be fired for any reason or no reason at all at any time with no notice required). Obviously that isn't as much of a concern here, since they'd need proper justification to fire you and they'd have a hard time claiming that it was a redundancy situation if they'd just hired some new person to do your exact job.

That said, there are still other considerations. Are you just considering changing jobs for the money and benefits alone, or are there other reasons you are less satisfied with your current job and would consider moving? And in this case, you'd also want to consider why you left your previous employer in the first place...again, was it only for money, or were there other reasons? More money isn't necessarily going to make your working life better if you don't get on well with your boss or coworkers, or your company doesn't respect its employees, or your workload is too high or work/life balance is poor, or you aren't satisfied with your role and responsibilities or your career progression; all those issues will still exist even with a shiny new benefits package and higher salary.

You should ask yourself: if the pay and benefits were equal, which job would you take, given all of the other factors involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

As an outsider, this is my advice:

1. Write down the pros and cons of each job.

2. Listen to your gut and write down which job you prefer (happiness).

3. Try to think which job is better for you in the long term.

Then make a decision based on that.

Imagine you're Mr. Spock making the decision. Keep it rational and logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I left my old job (Job B) because I was bored and I was refused a raise after 8 years. I'm over qualified for it. It's a very relaxed environment, nice hours, lots of holidays, in school breaks I'd often be told I can go home at 3pm. It's a great work-life balance. The package offered now includes a nice raise. The cons are no career progression, no pension contribution and probably no future raise. Effectively it does what it says on the tin now and forever.

My current job (Job A) is a challenge but I do enjoy it. It's very stressful though and I work long hours. The counter offer includes a 4pm finish every day (instead of 6pm), work from home on Fridays, a very big raise plus all my existing benefits such as pension, gym, yearly salary review.....

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I left my old job (Job B) because I was bored and I was refused a raise after 8 years. I'm over qualified for it. It's a very relaxed environment, nice hours, lots of holidays, in school breaks I'd often be told I can go home at 3pm. It's a great work-life balance. The package offered now includes a nice raise. The cons are no career progression, no pension contribution and probably no future raise. Effectively it does what it says on the tin now and forever.

My current job (Job A) is a challenge but I do enjoy it. It's very stressful though and I work long hours. The counter offer includes a 4pm finish every day (instead of 6pm), work from home on Fridays, a very big raise plus all my existing benefits such as pension, gym, yearly salary review.....

Easy decision stick with you current job. It makes the most sense.

I would also stick with Job A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No pension contribution is poor these days, I'd stick to where you are now with their new offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If you're happy where you are then why turn down their offer?

I've honestly never heard such advice as to never accept a counter offer

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

Stay Put!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Job A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Job A for me. Were you actually looking for another change or did your old company just approach you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

From that it does sound like Job A with the counteroffer terms would be the better option. If you go back to Job B, you're likely going to end up bored with it fairly soon, and worse, your career and personal growth will probably stagnate, which will make it harder to find a better job in the future. It's a decision you'd have to make personally, of course, but even just from the way you talk about them, it sounds like you're favouring Job A yourself...

Job A for me. Were you actually looking for another change or did your old company just approach you?

No I wasn't looking. They contacted me and made an offer. I only accepted because I knew (wrongly it turns out) that my current company wouldn't match it. But they have, plus some more.

I'm leaning towards staying in Job A with the new terms but I've never been in this situation so wanted a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It's great problem to have! In your shoes (and knowing only what is written here, of course), I would cheerfully take the new package in your current job and say 'thank you but my current employer persuaded me to stay' for job B. They may be a little put out, but not much, this is a scenario that happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Augme

The counter offer includes a 4pm finish every day (instead of 6pm), work from home on Fridays...

Does the 4pm finish just mean you start 2 hours earlier? Will there be other people on those shifts? Job A sounds better but I would be surprised if the two offers above fall by the wayside or become problematic amongst other staff.

So just to throw a spanner in the works, the counter offer has been put down in writing and its now different and nowhere near as good as the verbal offer. So there will be no working from home on Fridays, I won't be eligible for a salary review (one of which I was due next month) for two years and the 4pm finish is dependent on me starting an hour earlier.

So the counter offer is basically just moving my current hours (less a little bit) and a big raise now but then none for two years.

I'm incredibly pee'd off.

So just to throw a spanner in the works, the counter offer has been put down in writing and its now different and nowhere near as good as the verbal offer. So there will be no working from home on Fridays, I won't be eligible for a salary review (one of which I was due next month) for two years and the 4pm finish is dependent on me starting an hour earlier.

So the counter offer is basically just moving my current hours (less a little bit) and a big raise now but then none for two years.

I'm incredibly pee'd off.

Haha wtf.

Go take the old job if you want an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Just ask why it's different to what was verbally agreed, see if it can be worked out?

Based on what you've said I'd pick job a but that's because career opportunity and growth are more important to me. I can't stand the idea of being in a job I'd stagnate in. I want to see myself progress every year or two and I'd only be interested in an option that allows for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Diziet wrote: »
    It's great problem to have! In your shoes (and knowing only what is written here, of course), I would cheerfully take the new package in your current job and say 'thank you but my current employer persuaded me to stay' for job B. They may be a little put out, but not much, this is a scenario that happens!

I'd stay in current job and wouldn't be too worried about upsetting your former employer.

Look after No: 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm moving to the busier, more challenging job you describe above in the next week. I'm 2.5 years into the quite well paid cushy number, not busy not challenged, very flexible but no career progression or development. It's been driving me mental for the last 12 months, so I'm moving for the sake of career development for the future.

It depends on what part of your career you are at, if I was as high up as I wanted to be and within 10-15 years of winding up for retirement you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming from the cushy number, but I'm not yet at a point where I want my feet up to chill.

Advertisement