Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe size and cleat position beginner mistake!

Options
  • 15-03-2019 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Possible made a beginner mistake, got a pair of cycling shoes -I concentrated on getting a comfortable fit. So I moved up a size compared to my normal shoe....the result is a cycling shoe with a nice snug fit, but with more space at the toes than the recommended 5mm.....more like 15mm.... I didn't think this would be a problem but realise now the position oft the cleat on the shoe is obviously in relation to the overall length of the shoe. Without realising it I bought narrow to average width size shoe - so its bit long , I should have been looking for a wide shoe in my own size.

Ive positioned the shoe as far forward on the cleat as possible( so the cleats are pulled back), the result is the centre of the ball of my foot is over the edge of the pedal axle . ive found advice online that the ball of the foot should be at least centred over the pedal axle, or on www.stevehoggbikefitting.com it might actually be even better in front of the axle .. I should be a bit further forward according both of these....

I've worn them while messing around with the cleats so cant return...would it be best to sell them and start again? Get the ball of my foot over the axle or a bit further ahead?

BTY my foot length is 276mm (so +5 wiggle room required) and the width is 110mm if anyone has recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

baby fish wrote: »
    Possible made a beginner mistake, got a pair of cycling shoes -I concentrated on getting a comfortable fit. So I moved up a size compared to my normal shoe....the result is a cycling shoe with a nice snug fit, but with more space at the toes than the recommended 5mm.....more like 15mm.... I didn't think this would be a problem but realise now the position oft the cleat on the shoe is obviously in relation to the overall length of the shoe. Without realising it I bought narrow to average width size shoe - so its bit long , I should have been looking for a wide shoe in my own size.

Ive positioned the shoe as far forward on the cleat as possible( so the cleats are pulled back), the result is the centre of the ball of my foot is over the edge of the pedal axle . ive found advice online that the ball of the foot should be at least centred over the pedal axle, or on www.stevehoggbikefitting.com it might actually be even better in front of the axle .. I should be a bit further forward according both of these....

I've worn them while messing around with the cleats so cant return...would it be best to sell them and start again? Get the ball of my foot over the axle or a bit further ahead?

BTY my foot length is 276mm (so +5 wiggle room required) and the width is 110mm if anyone has recommendations

Position in cleats is wholly personal so play around with your position. I'm not sure there's very right or very wrong. My right is positioned almost as far back as I can but my left is further forward

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

baby fish wrote: »

Hi. Been using cleats for 30 years and it pays to get them set up properly. If there not correct they can cause serious injury down the road to your knees. Best looking up interWeb n getting a measuring tape out. Yup the ball of foot should be over axle to avoid a strain being put on your knees. Also inseam ( inner leg length ) measurement important. Your cleats may be off if your saddle height is to high or low or the saddle position is to foward etc. Get the saddle hight right before ya set up cleats. Take your time setting them up n go for short spins to check any changes.

Advertisement