Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Boards.ie complicit?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to say I agree with a lot of what F is saying above. The Left/Alt Right shite is very much an imported set of definitions, ones that we're all to quick to ape in a society that is very different to where most of this guff is coming from. I'd also tend to agree with him re the economic right. They're not even right or left, it's always about the money, always follow the money.

The whole scare stories stuff about ageing populations a perfect example. Now that might fly in somewhere like Germany where demographics are shifting that way, however Ireland has the highest birthrate in Europe and above replacement level, yet that same scare story is regularly in play here in the media and in politics and the grassroots increasingly believe it. If you follow the money you see that the drive for more people is for more consumers of the tat they produce to give us that dopamine hit we're increasingly addicted to and more cheap producers of same. More profit. Throw in a boom bust cycle built into the current system and you near guarantee an increasingly greater divide between the richest and the poorest and most of all the "squeezed middle", the ones with the "free" credit to keep consuming even if they're increasingly weighed down by same. Weighed down also means less chance of a pushback. Contrary to popular belief it's almost always the middle that kicks off and sustains revolutions, when it finally hits them they have nothing to lose. Hard for that to happen these days.

No tinfoil conspiracy required either. There's no secret goat masked cabal behind it all, its just how the current system has evolved and adapted. If anything thinking it is some secret goat masked cabal behind it all helps deflect from the more complex factors behind it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's now facing tough competition from the posts saying that Boards caused a terrorist attack in New Zealand.
    Did anyone actually say this?

It's an internet forum. Of course there will be some people like that, but it's arguably a very small number. You'd swear there was some dramatic shift happening.

What should boards.ie do to combat these few people, who may not even be Irish? I reckon it's easier for people to grow thicker skins and realise that things are grand. Ireland is grand. This site is grand. There just happens to be more fữcktards given a voice, and I'd say half of them are trolls anyways.
    Yeah, sure Ireland is grand, apart from the racists beating up black people for being black.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep and with bugger all to back up their nonsense. QV...

Silence.... Douze Points for wild (and nasty)accusations, Nil Points for actual bloody evidence. #slowhandclap

You decided it was 'silence' after an hour or so? Maybe the 'silence' was because some people have lives outside boards and don't spend their lives here?
    Please show me where posters in After Hours have said they agreed with any of the above. Any examples will do. Thanks in advance.

Again please show me where any posters on this site have condoned these acts. Any examples will do. Thanks in advance.
    Sure - how about this one?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109091649&postcount=51

Or to quote an AH mod:
    Many of the posts discussing the actual incident were pretty much condoning it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

VeryTerry wrote: »
    No one is still on their first account

No one?
    I am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Cabaal wrote: »
    No one?
    I am

Thats cus ur a mod

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

declan2693 wrote: »
    Thats cus ur a mod

Mod or not, I couldn't be arsed deleting and creating a new account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, and nobody said that about the Gillette ad either.

But it's an implicit recognition that the New Zealand shooter has the same pseudo-intellectual positions and justifications against immigration and multiculturalism that many here on boards do. That makes you uncomfortable when you're not a psychopath, because it indicates that perhaps your own opinion might need re-examining.

But rather reexamine ones own opinions, it's far easier to just call everyone else crazy and stick to your guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

seamus wrote: »

But it's an implicit recognition that the New Zealand shooter has the same pseudo-intellectual positions and justifications against immigration and multiculturalism that many here on boards do. That makes you uncomfortable when you're not a psychopath, because it indicates that perhaps your own opinion might need re-examining.

But rather reexamine ones own opinions, it's far easier to just call everyone else crazy and stick to your guns.

There is some implicit recognition here, somewhere, anywhere, that there is a connection between opinions expressed on Boards.ie that question unfettered immigration, and by that I mean reasonably argued opinions, not drive by trollling/sh!tposting by mindless racist bigots, and a horrific massacre of Muslims in New Zealand?

That is one ugly way to wangle censorship, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cabaal wrote: »
    Mod or not, I couldn't be arsed deleting and creating a new account.
    Indeed, many adult users are still on their initial account.
    I think the kids are more prone to close and open new accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

So people who have reservations about immigration and the impact of same on our social democracy structures need to put aside those reservations because of a nut job racist in New Zealand. Is that the crux of your post?

No offence dude, but you’re one of a handful of old timers on Boards who isn’t half as clever as he thinks he is. That’s a truly half-baked post by you. Might be better to actually do some re-examining of your own inherent beliefs and biases to understand how silly it was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One. Out of pages upon pages of posts on multiple threads over months.
    Or to quote an AH mod:
    In their opinion. And out of "many" such posts all you could come up with is one? Yeah clearly it's a tidal wave of racism alright. :rolleyes:
    seamus wrote:

Jesus you just keep digging. The all too usual irony and lack of self awareness you point out in others is summed up in your last sentence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Zorya wrote: »
    That is one ugly way to wangle censorship, I suppose.
    Or perhaps it's one ugly way to avoid boards.ie becoming the platform of choice for the alt-right in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Or perhaps it's one ugly way to avoid boards.ie becoming the platform of choice for the alt-right in Ireland?

Paranoid nonsense.

You're spouting an utter and complete fantasy. For the "platform of choice for the alt-right in Ireland" you seem to find it difficult to point out the hundreds, hell dozens of posts, out of thousands written every day that are "alt right". You came up with one. Uno. Singular.

What's actually worrying people like you is that there aren't hundreds of such posts, that it isn't becoming the "platform of choice for the alt-right in Ireland", but that a few people are starting to ask valid questions and making measured points about the politic and philosophy you hold so dear. It would be so much easier for you if there were such "alt right" posts and posters.

I would hate if Boards became the platform of choice for alt-right in Ireland. When I went online first, about 10 years ago, I ended up on some US forums, that were supposed to be dealing with philosophy /esoterica, that sort of thing, and there was a cohort posting there from the nascent right wing. They were largely born again Christian fundamentalists, who had hacked into conspiracy theories, racist theories, early MGTOW type stuff, anti-feminism, misogyny, red pill stuff, all that kind of baloney. I was a mod on one such forum in fact and ended up in serious battles with some alt-light types at least one of whom has since gone on to some measure of online notoriety. I have no tolerance for cretinous racism or misogyny. That it exists is a fact, however.

Later, due to research I have been doing, I spent time in the Tumblr left part of the web - a hysterical, self-flagellating, devious place if ever there is one, full of predatory narcissists and deviants. I saw in those spaces that there is a growing inability to allow for nuance and debate, a desire to label all who diverge from the church of SJW as monsters and this is also cretinous.

Surely sensible people can weed out the fcukwits who just spew garbage on either side? If not, we are in trouble. Remember the printing press caused huge social troubles and upheaval - suddenly there was questioning of dogma from all sides. The ugly plebs could read and form opinions, the nasty peasants! I am sure there were plenty of people in those days who rued it had ever been invented.

As for complicity - perhaps Facebook - a company that prides itself on its leftist creeds - should consider its complicity in horror. Why can anyone live stream a massacre with no delay/trip switch etc.? I'll tell you why - these places - Facebook, Youtube - have been making shed loads of money for a long time on all sorts of stomach-churning horror and money rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Alas, as the defining feature of people who blame "the Left" for everything is abject and staggering stupidity regarding the bigger picture of who the winners are from globalisation, we'll be waiting a long time before these dupes cop on to the fact that mass immigration is supported by the economic right because it keeps the native plebs - i.e. themselves - undercut by cheaper foreign labour. But successfully blaming "the Left" for a western world that is now smothered in neoliberal free market fundamentalism is yet another success of the economic right, and for that they deserve huge credit. Screw a section of society, and convince them that another section is responsible. Genuinely impressive.

Good post. Liberalism and neo-liberalism are bed fellows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus you just keep digging. The all too usual irony and lack of self awareness you point out in others is summed up in your last sentence.
    Right. And "The religion and culture I was raised in, is also conveniently the one I believe to be objectively the least worst", is not completely without irony.

Good luck to ya, you've gone right down down the retarded rabbit hole.

Surely sensible people can weed out the fcukwits who just spew garbage on either side? If not, we are in trouble. Remember the printing press caused huge social troubles and upheaval - suddenly there was questioning of dogma from all sides. The ugly plebs could read and form opinions, the nasty peasants! I am sure there were plenty of people in those days who rued it had ever been invented.
    Yes, sensible people can weed stuff out. Less sensible people can't weed stuff out, and end up burning down hotels or killing people in Mosques.

As for complicity - perhaps Facebook - a company that prides itself on its leftist creeds - should consider its complicity in horror. Why can anyone live stream a massacre with no delay/trip switch etc.? I'll tell you why - these places - Facebook, Youtube - have been making shed loads of money for a long time on all sorts of stomach-churning horror and money rules.

Fully agree.

One. Out of pages upon pages of posts on multiple threads over months.

In their opinion. And out of "many" such posts all you could come up with is one? Yeah clearly it
    I found one in five minutes. It looks like that mod is saying that there were others which had been deleted.

I recall reporting a post in recent weeks that was proposing (iirc) gas chambers for travellers. It seemed to have sat there for a day or two without any action, though it was removed after I reported it.

But if you want to see a trend, here you go;

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=knackers

Is this the kind of language/terminology/discussion that you'd have in civilised company?

Or check the apologists for Gemma - not a huge number of them, but they are there;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109698920

Yes, sensible people can weed stuff out. Less sensible people can't weed stuff out, and end up burning down hotels or killing people in Mosques.

There are always going to be sick people in a society. It is impossible to prevent psychosis and hatred completely. To use the existence of evil/hatred to shut down debate is not a good idea - because it can be controlled by whatever side considers itself to be the moral arbiter of what is right and what is wrong.

That side changes.
    For example at the moment there is some confusing collusion between SJW and Islamists, as the SJW call out Islamophobia to every discussion, and this causes problems, as for example for the girls in Iran who are protesting against compulsory hijab with White Wednesdays. Or today a Pride parade has called for extra security to prevent lesbians joining who refuse to have sex with female identifying males. It's all problematic.

There are always going to be sick people in a society. It is impossible to prevent psychosis and hatred completely. To use the existence of evil/hatred to shut down debate is not a good idea - because it can be controlled by whatever side considers itself to be the moral abiter of what is right and what is wrong.
    Yes, it's not possible to prevent psychosis and hatred. It is possible to prevent fuelling psychosis and hatred.

Yes, I get the 'free speech' argument, and in principle, I agree with it. But when you see someone starting their terrorist attack with 'subscribe to ' messages on their livestream, you have to say that something has gone wrong.

'Free speech' is being used to fuel violence, and boards.ie is falling into that trap.

• Advertisement

I found one in five minutes. It looks like that mod is saying that there were others which had been deleted.

I recall reporting a post in recent weeks that was proposing (iirc) gas chambers for travellers. It seemed to have sat there for a day or two without any action, though it was removed after I reported it.

But if you want to see a trend, here you go;

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=knackers

Is this the kind of language/terminology/discussion that you'd have in civilised company?

Or check the apologists for Gemma - not a huge number of them, but they are there;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109698920

I sorted by New, and one page shows five days of results. Unluckily for you, the search takes away the plural, which makes you look like a right tit.

upk5EhP.png

The only "bad" ones are the ones I wrote not traveller-related next to. Monaghan has no travellers and yet we still call regular scumbags knackers.

Hardly your alt-right fantasy is it? Just some comical hysteria as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm my mind there are two types of rereg accounts. Sometimes someone might be banned & they come back not getting into trouble anymore and some feel that their username carries baggage so they rereg. These rereg accounts are harmless imo. There are posters with dozens of accounts & these accounts are purely to cause trouble.

'Free speech' is being used to fuel violence, and boards.ie is falling into that trap.

It really isn't. It's quite a well moderated and reasonably moderate forum. Mind you I do not look at most threads.

If you want to see the fueling of violence there are real places where it really exists. The NZ murderer was wholly playing to the Chans, I have seen it described as him taking his online persona out into real life imagining he was some kind of ironic ''meatspace'' hero.

Boards is not remotely like the Chans. Not even a bit.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm my mind there are two types of rereg accounts. Sometimes someone might be banned & they come back not getting into trouble anymore and some feel that their username carries baggage so they rereg. These rereg accounts are harmless imo. There are posters with dozens of accounts & these accounts are purely to cause trouble.

I find it extremely hard to believe that there are posters getting away with using dozens of accounts on boards. Sounds like more fantasy stuff.

Right. And "The religion and culture I was raised in, is also conveniently the one I believe to be objectively the least worst", is not completely without irony.
    I hate to break it to you Ted, but nope. The religion I was raised in is a busted flush and in the Irish context was grey oppressive and often criminal. Christianity as a de facto Europe wide "empire" after the classical world went pop had many advantages and kept a loose cohesion of an idea of "Europe" while individual states competed with each other this was a major cultural advantage. The culture I was raised in was thankfully (sub)urban with wider European and US influences. Of the more parochial "folk" Irish culture, I'd generally have less time for it, though would value it as part of the wider western culture.

And yes that wider western culture is "objectively the least worst". What cultures in the world have the most social freedom, the most social supports(US excepted), the most equalities of creed, gender, sexual rinetation, the highest standards of living for the average person, the lowest childhood mortality stats, the highest longevity(Japan excepted, though it's as much Western as Eastern), the freest elections and has improved across all those metrics decade upon decade? Oh wait...
    Good luck to ya, you've gone right down down the retarded rabbit hole.
    You? Using the oul "retarded" word. OK, who's hijacked Seamus' account? It would explain much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It has been implied several times imo. Take a read of the thread for details.
    Yeah, sure Ireland is grand, apart from the racists beating up black people for being black.

Hyperbole much? May I ask where did this particular incident happen? Do you consider the targeting of kids by other kids where whites are the main victims - as racist as well? Or do we only mention colour when it happens to be 'white' perpetrators? Why is that?

I don't see anyone in that linked post condoning anything tbh.

gozunda wrote: »
    It has been implied several times imo. Take a read of the thread for details.

Hyperbole much? May I ask where did this particular incident happen? Do you consider the targeting of kids by other kids where whites are the main victims - as racist as well? Or do we only mention colour when it happens to be 'white' perpetrators? Why is that?

I don't see anyone in that linked post condoning anything tbh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2019/03/14/news/irish-news/car-wash-war-tallaght/amp

I think this is the incident the poster is referring to.

Erhhh?

From the article
    A source said: ‘Gardaí are aware of issues within the foreign national community over “turf wars” relating to car wash facilities. It is an issue in various parts of Dublin. There are some serious car wash wars going on, simmering for several months...

It is in no way a Nigerian issue solely in terms of threats and attacks. There is a lot of Eastern European involvement in this industry also. At present, gardaí are trying to keep a lid on the situation.’

Not sure you can put that story down to "racists beating up black people for being black" (sic) or otherwise ...

Erhhh?

From the article

Not sure you can put that story down to "racists beating up black people for being black" (sic) or otherwise ...

Yeah, lots of people jumped the gun and blamed "Irish racists" on this.

• Advertisement

Yeah, lots of people jumped the gun and blamed "Irish racists" on this.

People like our very own Andrew here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

except that isn't happening. sure, there are a few alt right types on here but boards is not being over-run or being invaded by them. suggesting otherwise is just not true.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ireland actually is, overall, a good place to live if you are not white. No matter how much the victimhood fetishists long for the opposite (and convince themselves it's the case).

Erhhh?

From the article

From https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-subjected-horrific-racial-slurs-15977204

He said one of the men then started urinating so he told him to stop - before being called "a black monkey" and told to "f**k off back to where I came from."
    Speaking to The Independent Stanley said the men accused him of "taking jobs and food" before attacking him.

Just an average day on boards then - nothing racist there, right?

Ireland actually is, overall, a good place to live if you are not white. No matter how much the victimhood fetishists long for the opposite (and convince themselves it's the case).

https://www.thejournal.ie/racism-report-3126953-Dec2016/
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-glasnevin-racism-indian-students-2390174-Oct2015/

except that isn't happening. sure, there are a few alt right types on here but boards is not being over-run or being invaded by them. suggesting otherwise is just not true.

In fairness, this is fairly accurate - boards isn't 'overrun' by alt-right types. But there is a significant number, far in excess of their presence in normal society. And the degree of anti-immigrant threads and comments is increasing over time.

Boards? That happened on Boards - did it? Virtual p*ssing was it?

So again from the article you linked and you claimed was (Irish) white on black racism ...
    A source said: ‘Gardaí are aware of issues within the foreign national community over “turf wars” relating to car wash facilities. It is an issue in various parts of Dublin. There are some serious car wash wars going on, simmering for several months...

It is in no way a Nigerian issue solely in terms of threats and attacks. There is a lot of Eastern European involvement in this industry also. At present, gardaí are trying to keep a lid on the situation.’

Christ but you would hang yourself to try and make all and sundry rampant 'racists' ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

From https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-subjected-horrific-racial-slurs-15977204

you are missing the point. the specific attack mentioned in your article was racially motivated but the article posted which you replied about suggests that this is part of a turf war involving a number of different foreign national groups.

https://www.thejournal.ie/racism-report-3126953-Dec2016/
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-glasnevin-racism-indian-students-2390174-Oct2015/

In fairness, this is fairly accurate - boards isn't 'overrun' by alt-right types. But there is a significant number, far in excess of their presence in normal society. And the degree of anti-immigrant threads and comments is increasing over time.

i'm not seeing any increase in such threads. such threads along with traveler and doal bashing threads have remained at more or less the same rate in the years i have been here.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

So again from the article you linked and you claimed was (Irish) white on black racism ...
    Where exactly did I claim it was (Irish) white on black racism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Most racists dont like to be called out. The posts on the NZ thread exosed their true colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've rereged a few times. For some reason my different accounts have had different personas, to varying extents, and favoured different forums.

Of course there will be isolated incidents unfortunately. But that doesn't make Ireland a racist country.

• Advertisement

There are racists in Ireland alright, as my nonwhite partner would attest to. The feral underclass for instance. Public transport is a chore.

In general middle Ireland is fine.

By their actions, if not their words, the upper middle classes are keeping themselves seperate from travellers, foreigners and non-whites in their places of abode and work.

There are racists in Ireland alright, as my nonwhite partner would attest to. The feral underclass for instance.
    Ironically the "racists everywhere" crowd have a hard-on for them too.

Ironically the "racists everywhere" crowd have a hard-on for them too.

Indeed. It’s all about being more moral than thou. The more people you condemn for racism the more virtuous you feel. If it’s just the underclass you don’t get to fellow morally superior to most people, if 99% of people are racist and you are not (by your words but not you actions) then you get to feel more moral to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

There are racists in Ireland alright, as my nonwhite partner would attest to. The feral underclass for instance. Public transport is a chore.

In general middle Ireland is fine.

By their actions, if not their words, the upper middle classes are keeping themselves seperate from travellers, foreigners and non-whites in their places of abode and work.

Yes the upper middle classes in their ivory towers, they have their own stressful moment's too, they are not all moral Mary's or have all their duck's in a row.

They still have stress, make the wrong decisions.
    Live with abusive partners, some end up being alcohol and drug addicts.
    Live in fear, their car's break down.

Up to their eye balls in debt.

Hard time's don't discriminate, class isn't everything.
    I've friends who are across the spectrum, from big country estates to burnt out housing estates.
    Some have seen dysfunction, effected by drink and drugs.
    One guy I know, a millionaire had to get on a plane to Thailand and pick his junkie daughter up off the streets....
    He did this in 5 days, booked his ticket flew Via London, and brought her home.
    He and his wife are constantly on eggshells...

From all divides you'll get plenty of dysfunction.

Where exactly did I claim it was (Irish) white on black racism?

Here:
    Yeah, sure Ireland is grand, apart from the racists beating up black people for being black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

emo72 wrote: »

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everybody!

And a very happy St Pattys to you.......

:D

And a very happy St Pattys to you.......

ht_saint_patricks_day_2_sr_140317_16x9_608.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I sorted by New, and one page shows five days of results. Unluckily for you, the search takes away the plural, which makes you look like a right tit.

[Screenshot]
    I can't be the only one? AbG's monitor...

g2460Pqu-portrait.jpg

ht_saint_patricks_day_2_sr_140317_16x9_608.jpg

With my middle name being Patrick, this is well appreciated. I hate this Patty's day craic.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I can't be the only one? AbG's monitor...

Fireshot for Chrome ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement