Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing cheques

• 16-03-2019 7:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Quick question, I don't write cheques very often, say i give someone a cheque on the 14th dated for the 21st, but the check is lodged on the 15th and clears straight away and the funds are taken from my account.
    I thought it couldn't clear before the date marked on the cheque?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

jap gt wrote: »
    Quick question, I don't write cheques very often, say i give someone a cheque on the 14th dated for the 21st, but the check is lodged on the 15th and clears straight away and the funds are taken from my account.

If the person you gave the cheque to deals with the same bank as you it can come out immediately, although it won't be available to them as cleared funds for 3 days usually. But it's off your balance. This gives the bank time to return the cheque for any reason.

Technically, I think it's illegal to post date a cheque but the bank should not have accepted it over the counter for lodging if the date is wrong. However, with automated machines etc now it may not be checked. I don't think banks check cheques under a certain amount. They say they take a dim view of post dating but the reality is they won't be that bothered one way or the other. You could call them up and let them know and they will return it.

However if the cheque is due to be returned for lack of funds, the answer will be changed to "postdated" when the cheque is physically pulled for return.

If the person who got the cheque knew it was postdated and accepted it on that basis and still tried to lodge it, I'd be more worried about that I think if it were me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    If the person you gave the cheque to deals with the same bank as you it can come out immediately, although it won't be available to them as cleared funds for 3 days usually. But it's off your balance. This gives the bank time to return the cheque for any reason.

Technically, I think it's illegal to post date a cheque but the bank should not have accepted it over the counter for lodging if the date is wrong. However, with automated machines etc now it may not be checked. I don't think banks check cheques under a certain amount. They say they take a dim view of post dating but the reality is they won't be that bothered one way or the other. You could call them up and let them know and they will return it.

However if the cheque is due to be returned for lack of funds, the answer will be changed to "postdated" when the cheque is physically pulled for return.

If the person who got the cheque knew it was postdated and accepted it on that basis and still tried to lodge it, I'd be more worried about that I think if it were me.
    It was agreed to be post dated due to delivery of goods on the 20th, its no big deal anyway was just wondering how it happens,

Thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

jap gt wrote: »

It's illegal to post date a cheque and most likely your account terms and conditions say that it can come out of your account as soon as its lodged

Advertisement