Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair flight - 2 people booked, only 1 travelling

Options
  • 16-03-2019 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭

I'm within 4 days of travelling, but my travelling companion has had to cancel. Can I just check in for myself, or do I need to contact Ryanair? The simplest thing is probably to check us both in, but this could prevent someone else from travelling on the flight.

The flight was quite cheap (just over €40, including priority boarding) so probably not worth looking for a refund on the flight that's not going to be used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Just check yourself in, there's no need to contact Ryanair or do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

^^^^
    This

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

VG31 wrote: »
    Just check yourself in, there's no need to contact Ryanair or do anything else.

Thanks. Will do. I find that if I wait until a few hours before the flight, I'm less likely to be allocated a middle seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

abff wrote: »
    Thanks. Will do. I find that if I wait until a few hours before the flight, I'm less likely to be allocated a middle seat.

also if oyu do check your mate in then you have the luxury of picking which seat you would like to sit in!

also if oyu do check your mate in then you have the luxury of picking which seat you would like to sit in!

I guess that's true, but is there not a danger that the flight could end up being delayed if someone who has checked in doesn't turn up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭mulbot

I guess that's true, but is there not a danger that the flight could end up being delayed if someone who has checked in doesn't turn up?

No.

mulbot wrote: »
    No.

I guess I could tell them as I'm boarding the plane.

Its a common occurrence for people not showing up even if they've checked in. Particularly with Ryanair since you can check-in up to 60 days in advance.

They won't be waiting on anyone, I believe they can also see if passengers have scanned their boarding pass to enter the departures area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I guess I could tell them as I'm boarding the plane.

Wouldnt bother - all airlines run a tight ship. Not a chance they will wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would need them to present to security for that to possibly be an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I believe they can also see if passengers have scanned their boarding pass to enter the departures area.
    Is that not a GDPR breach ? All the airline cares about is if they present to the gate before the end of boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

trellheim wrote: »
    Is that not a GDPR breach ? All the airline cares about is if they present to the gate before the end of boarding.

It's Ryanair's boarding pass, how would that be a GDPR breach?

When you hear announcements for passenger X to make their way to the gate, the airline must know that they're in the airport otherwise they would constantly waste their time looking for no-shows.

I don't think Ryanair actually wait for people but for airlines that do, the only way they can know for sure the passenger is actually in the airport is if they've scanned they're boarding pass (except for airlines where you have to do airport check-in).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

What personal data are they holding on a Boarding Pass??? Name , destination and seat number. Passengers have entered a contract for carriage and as such such this data is deemed necessary fir airline to carry out their side of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Masala wrote: »
    What personal data are they holding on a Boarding Pass??? Name , destination and seat number. Passengers have entered a contract for carriage and as such such this data is deemed necessary fir airline to carry out their side of the contract.

You boarding pass holds all your information, name, address, seq number, flight number, passport details. The only thing it doesn’t hold is your credit card details but to answer the above question, no, when you scan your boarding pass at security it doesn’t link to any Ryanair systems, thats why passengers are paged cause staff don’t know if they are in the airport or not, also thats only a courtesy, staff don’t have to page pax by names either.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Just check in OP. Happened to us last year (2 out of 4 travelled). Had already picked seats so had an empty middle seat :D

I had gone on ryanair chat to see if there would be an issue. They didn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It's a free comfort seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

VG31 wrote: »
    When you hear announcements for passenger X to make their way to the gate, the airline must know that they're in the airport otherwise they would constantly waste their time looking for no-shows.

They've checked a bag into the hold that's the only reason the airline is calling them. If you've no checked luggage they don't care if you check in and don't turn up. If you check luggage they do their best to find you as unloading your bag will delay their departure and cost them money.

OP check both people in. You've paid the fare and won't get any refund for not using so you may as well use the extra seat for comfort. I've done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

billie1b wrote: »
    You boarding pass holds all your information, name, address, seq number, flight number, passport details. The only thing it doesn’t hold is your credit card details but to answer the above question, no, when you scan your boarding pass at security it doesn’t link to any Ryanair systems, thats why passengers are paged cause staff don’t know if they are in the airport or not, also thats only a courtesy, staff don’t have to page pax by names either.

That's not right.... no way it's carrying passport info or home address.

It only has bare info of date, flight no and name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Yes on the boarding pass itself, but your barcode, QR code when scanned has all your info you used to book the flight, the only thing it doesn’t store is your credit card details or card you used for your booking.

• Advertisement

That's not right.... no way it's carrying passport info or home address.

There's apps you can download where you scan the barcode and it shows all your boarding pass information in text form. I've done that before and never seen passport info or address.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

billie1b wrote:
    Yes on the boarding pass itself, but your barcode, QR code when scanned has all your info you used to book the flight, the only thing it doesn’t store is your credit card details or card you used for your booking.

Isn't the qr code just an identifier that links to the information in the system? The info isn't contained in the barcode. If it was scanned by a non- system scanner it wouldn't show much, just basic name and flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It would be for the purpose of providing you with the service for which you have contracted with the airline. That would be a valid legal basis for processing under GDPR.

Just boarded the plane. Told them my wife was checked in but not travelling. They said it was ok as long as boarding pass not scanned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Just boarded the plane. Told them my wife was checked in but not travelling. They said it was ok as long as boarding pass not scanned.

Airlines are well used to this type of situation, it’s why they overbook certain flights at certain times

Advertisement